Reel grease and oil

My son came home with the Super Lube from work so I owe him some $, but far better than retail. I was going to go chasing Coho and Pinks off Bowen this morning but somehow got my wires crossed with a Buddy and it washed out. So I'm going to Lube the 782 Mitchell instead.

I got some brake cleaner from Princess Auto Friday and cleaned it all up, and wiped it down. I let it dry on the bench so it's be ready for Lube this morning. I took apart the Shimano 4000GT Plus and it was pristine, so no need to do anything there.

The Peetz is another story. I took a quick look at it as it's been sitting in a corner unused for decades. I didn't have much time as we were headed out to dinner with friends, but it's been on the Rod so long the "clamp" bracket holding the Peetz to the Rod was corroded so tight and it wouldn't move. It's like it's glued together. I'll be trying some WD40 to loosen it up, but first I'm going to strip off the ancient monofilament which is easier for me with the Rod attached.

I'm thinking the move to Carbontex washer material for my reels is not a quick fix as the link is from Australia. @Wondermur is there a local or US supplier you use?

I service about 7 MR3 reels each year and never had a problem with super lube grease. The reels always come apart easy and the super lube grease is still slippery and not tacky.

Two years ago I was given 4 reels to service. Two of the reels were serviced by a sales person at a local store and two by the guys friend. All four reels were plugged with tacky grease which was more like glue than grease. I took picture to send to the owner and here are a few. I included a 1/2 cleaned gear photo.

After cleaning and applying super lube the reels worked perfect and now I service his reels every year.

If you have a first generation MR3 reel (they have holes in the back plate) make sure you change the grease regularly. The back bearing is subject to getting salt water into them and if not washed out every use the bearing will seize. I had to replace bearings a few years ago on a reel and a bearing replacements at Islander was $60 each X 2.

Wash your islanders reels with fresh water after use, and clean and tune them regularly.

Attachments

• Dirty MR3  2.jpg
    Dirty MR3 2.jpg
    282.1 KB · Views: 21
  • Dirty MR3.jpg
    Dirty MR3.jpg
    291.8 KB · Views: 21
  • MR3 Gear wear..jpg
    MR3 Gear wear..jpg
    221 KB · Views: 21
My son came home with the Super Lube from work so I owe him some $, but far better than retail. I was going to go chasing Coho and Pinks off Bowen this morning but somehow got my wires crossed with a Buddy and it washed out. So I'm going to Lube the 782 Mitchell instead.

I got some brake cleaner from Princess Auto Friday and cleaned it all up, and wiped it down. I let it dry on the bench so it's be ready for Lube this morning. I took apart the Shimano 4000GT Plus and it was pristine, so no need to do anything there.

The Peetz is another story. I took a quick look at it as it's been sitting in a corner unused for decades. I didn't have much time as we were headed out to dinner with friends, but it's been on the Rod so long the "clamp" bracket holding the Peetz to the Rod was corroded so tight and it wouldn't move. It's like it's glued together. I'll be trying some WD40 to loosen it up, but first I'm going to strip off the ancient monofilament which is easier for me with the Rod attached.

I'm thinking the move to Carbontex washer material for my reels is not a quick fix as the link is from Australia. @Wondermur is there a local or US supplier you use?
Smoooth drag in usa sell cut washers for many reels. Not sure where you would get the uncut sheets. Mikes reel repair might sell you washers for the Shimano gt4000. If it’s the latest model they have some material they call ‘dartanium’.

Perhaps just clean the washers you have a put the thinnest bit of grease on them and see how they do while you wait for the stuff from Aus. to arrive

Smoooth drag in usa sell cut washers for many reels. Not sure where you would get the uncut sheets. Mikes reel repair might sell you washers for the Shimano gt4000. If it’s the latest model they have some material they call ‘dartanium’.

Perhaps just clean the washers you have a put the thinnest bit of grease on them and see how they do while you wait for the stuff from Aus. to arrive
I'm thinking of buying a sheet of 1 mm for the various reels I have around here. I guess I'll look into ordering from Australia if there is no NA supply.

If they are in a stack with smooth surfaces to rub against they will last 10 years if greased and still be fine probably.

I replaced the top washer in a penn 330 that had got water in there and a bit of rust so the ht100 carbon fibre drag washer had shredded but the others were fine further down the stack.

You don’t need to buy any tools to make washers. I just use some spring paper clips to hold the old washer to the carbon fiber sheet material. Use a drill bit of the correct size to make the center hole. Then cut around the outside with scissors.
Excellent, didn’t realize a guy could cut it with scissors. Thanks Wondermur, always good intel.

Back