Vancouver Saltchuck?

The skunk was on the boat two nights ago at the Cap. Lost a +/- 8lb that was jumping behind the boat and was going to be be released anyways. Other than that, it was quiet ... beautiful sunset made it all worthwhile though.

Any thoughts as to whether it would timely to check either Sandheads or T-10 this weekend ... any sign of the Harrison whites yet?

I do know of a friend who was out on Tuesday at the Cap and managed an 18 and 22. Not sure on the time of day but got one on a chovie and the other on a plug!

There's fish there alright. Know of 2 boats who found 10 nice springs between them yesterday and they were not in the fireman's derby. Anchovies were the ticket. Most were in the high teens to high twenties.

I really miss setting the hook right at the CAP marker and playing out another 50-100 feet of rode on a BIG flood.Medium size cut-plug with a fast spin just 2-5ft off the bottom 6 to 8oz banana.Don't forget the quick release SCOTTSMAN ready to drop!Lots of guys are trolling out there but you are safe if you are inline with the reef marker or a little bit closer in! Just watch out for the boats that move in with the fast tide..they are on you in a second!!You don't have to watch your rods...once you hear the RODS CREEKING IN THE HOLDERS...FISH-on...GOODLUCK........WILDWEST

I guess everyone forgot about the taking of 1st AND 2nd place in the Granville Island derby to a mootcher..he-he!!Nobody would remember so I figured I would ring my own bell[8D]

I remember walking bow to bow to the shoreline when we ran out of smokes. mmmmmmmmmoooooching

fond memories

thanks for the reminder wildwest!

quote:Originally posted by wildwest

What..no moochers out there? Come-on guys trolling is not the only way to get-em...no feedback?

Hey Bruce...I remember ya out there..Wildwest Charters...

The days of mooching there are gone. Each season I see maybe 1 or 2 guys mooching in those old spots....and it still works well.

Now there are many times when there are 30 to 50 boats trolling the box from 100 feet east of the marker to the 15th Street Pier...and on a stupid day... 70 to Lawson.

Moochers don't even bother over there because the trollers easily snag your lines as they troll past you..and each year I collect gear that way as well :D

It's fun though..the charters are all trolling now and as the pics from the post above show...still outfishing the fleet on a 6 to 1 basis.

Tonight was somewhat quieter over there however a couple of shots were to be had for the diligent and consistent.

quote:Originally posted by wildwest

You know what I really miss at the moment...the SMOKED SALMON PIZZA at the Granville island PUB!;)

Yep, looks like any eatin' joint on shore will be the place to be tomorrow...Gale Warning is up. By the time the tide is any good it'll probably be right nasty out there.

quote:Originally posted by fishin_magician Gale Warning is up. By the time the tide is any good it'll probably be right nasty out there.

I didn't want to hear that, I was really looking forward to going out tomorrow. I was out on Thursday and felt like I was in a movie, "The Perfect Storm". At one point I was at full throttle just trying to climb a wave... still caught one though :)
I haven't mooched in years but it's still appealing.

Sunday looks better though.

It is a touch breezy today. Who's going out tomorrow ? Rain is coming next week.

quote:Originally posted by Brisco

It is a touch breezy today. Who's going out tomorrow ? Rain is coming next week.

Me. Was one of few folks in the 40 boat gong show who got into fish. I was there all morning. Saw 10 decent springs pulled out of there--most as usual going to the guide fleet. It got stupid when we were six abreast by the marker.

Pulled lines at 12:15 when the wind decided to wrap in and the full 30 knots decided to blow. Everyone decided to get outta dodge at that point.

May head out if the winds are reasonable.

Unbelievable how many boats can fish such a small area and how one or two boats not respecting the lanes can throw things out of synch.

I released 4 beautiful jacks Saturday a.m. at the Cap before crossing the harbour to run for cover from the wind and then Sunday a.m. released two jacks, kept a 30 lb. and then lost its big brother one as I drifted into the shallower water on the east side of the mouth while playing the fish and fighting a downrigger ball that managed to hook bottom. Lessons learned - play the fish not the downrigger ball; and, when fishing alone get the downriggers up and out of the way fast.

quote:Originally posted by Teja

Unbelievable how many boats can fish such a small area and how one or two boats not respecting the lanes can throw things out of synch.

No kidding! I try to look at least 5 to 10 minutes ahead to calculate a turn as to not disturb the flow of traffic. I was out there after most had left the area, 4 boats left, and I hooked into a fish. I was playing the fish and looked ahead and there was a boat coming directly at me 30 feet away. The operater was on the flybridge looking to his stern at his rods and guests. I had to make a hard turn into the waves and wind to avoid a collision and managed to lose the fish in the process. :(
I'm a little upset but I've had a pretty good season so I'll get over it quickly. I could expect that from a "weekend warrior" but this was a guide!

I am definitely one of the "weekend warriors."

I've only been doing this saltwater downrigger fishing for a few seasons now but isn't there still the "starboard/right rod to the shore" convention?

Or have the downriggers made it easy enough for 40 boats to be in close proximity that it's anything goes? I don't get it, if everyone stuck to that rule it would make it a lot easier to ply the waters in a confined area such as the Cap mouth.

We were one of those boats there Sunday and I wish it was legal to take a potshot at "lake boat guy" who was running tangents through the crowd as if he were alone out there.

Back