Vancouver Island trip advice

BrownDogFishCo

Next summer my fishing buddy and I are considering a Vancouver Island trip from Seattle. We would be trailering a 26’ boat. Open to all location and lodging ideas. Preferably it would be a lodge set up with moorage, etc.

I’ve fished BC a number of times. Spent a week in Terrace fishing the Skeena, Kalum, etc. And I’ve boated up from down here as far as Stuart Island.

Thank you in advance for any and all support!

Next summer my fishing buddy and I are considering a Vancouver Island trip from Seattle. We would be trailering a 26’ boat. Open to all location and lodging ideas. Preferably it would be a lodge set up with moorage, etc.

I’ve fished BC a number of times. Spent a week in Terrace fishing the Skeena, Kalum, etc. And I’ve boated up from down here as far as Stuart Island.

How much do you want to spend? how many nights? What kind of fishing are you looking to do? halibut? rockfish/lingcod? salmon?

A couple more details... At least 4 days of fishing, guessing a week with travel time. Primary focus would be salmon. Cost is flexible.

Would prefer to hire a local guide the first day to get a lay of the land. I've done that a number of times when trying to learn an area, I was up front with them that I'm looking to learn and fish my own boat with pretty good success. How open to that will the local pros be to that type of trip?

Last edited:
Seabeam Lodge in Bamfield can be a good time. Very reasonable rates, moorage, etc. You can trailer your boat to China Creek and then run down the Alberni Inlet to spare the wear and tear on truck and trailer. Walters Cove Marina in Kyuquot has the full luxury lodge experience with drive in options to save you money. I know Terry Schultz, the manager. He's top notch.

Seabeam Lodge in Bamfield can be a good time. Very reasonable rates, moorage, etc. You can trailer your boat to China Creek and then run down the Alberni Inlet to spare the wear and tear on truck and trailer. Walters Cove Marina in Kyuquot has the full luxury lodge experience with drive in options to save you money. I know Terry Schultz, the manager. He's top notch.

Thanks. What time of year?

August is usually the best month, can be foggy though. Both locations have numerous runs passing down the salmon highway from June to September

How involved you want to be? I'd say Walter's Cove would be a good example of a "bring your own boat" operation. Cost is $375 per person, per night. But it includes all meals, accommodation, processing, ice, moorage. Kyuquot is truly west coast. I'd recommend there. Or else you can rent a room/cabin somewhere. We've rented in Kyuquot twice, Winter Harbour a couple times. Those possibilities are endless up and down the island. Rooms average around $150-$200. But then you may need to add moorage, ice, or are you going to process your catch daily, meals. It's a lot of added time to do it yourself. I'd check out Nootka Sound area, or Bamfield as other options as well. Look for their bring your own boat options.

Nootka would be my choice and up at Critter Cove. Fuel, food and lodgings right there and not to far away from the best hot spots.

Barkley Sound Lodge , fuel, fish packing/freezing, doorstep moorage, wicked meals and nice rooms. all at a reasonable price.

Last edited:

you might want to try Duval Point Lodge in Port Hardy. It's really set up for what you are looking for and there's good fishing right in front of the lodge.

I've been boating into Westview Marina at Thasis for years and always had an amazing time. Recommend them highly Feel free to PM me for details.

I've been boating into Westview Marina at Thasis for years and always had an amazing time. Recommend them highly Feel free to PM me for details.

so far out to the grounds.. love thasis tho.

Fished Nootka out of Newton Cove this summer. 1st class resort with moorage. can be guided or not. Check it out on trip adviser or PM me.

don't bother anywhere south of Tofino because of closure risks...I'd say Gold River/Nootka or Port Hardy, even Telegraph Cove which is popular with the Americans with great fishing around Malcolm Island late July. Better shot at getting a guide in PH thou but you would probably need to book that pretty early.

don't bother anywhere south of Tofino because of closure risks...I'd say Gold River/Nootka or Port Hardy, even Telegraph Cove which is popular with the Americans with great fishing around Malcolm Island late July. Better shot at getting a guide in PH thou but you would probably need to book that pretty early.

fear mongering will only hurt our communities.

Don’t come to Tofino, lol

Back