First time on Vancouver Island

Mr Lance

Planning a summer trip to VI and need some recommendations….a good base to stage from ? Charter companies to recommend? Best area on the island for beauty and productivity? Really looking for some good advice since I’ve never been there for fishing. Salmon/Halibut

Just a weekend fishing trip, fly in on Friday and fish Saturday & Sunday and fly out…
I really enjoy the North part of the island. Port hardy and fish cape sutil to Christensen point one day then the central coast side up by bremnar point toward cape caution and then out to the reefs if weather allows. This trip is lots of driving as well as tons of travel time in the boat and weather dependant also expect a fuel surcharge from the guides.

Can’t beat ucluelet if you still want to have meals out. You have access to Barkley sound as well as off shore.

Have you fished off shore before? Also what time of year are you planning?

I really enjoy the North part of the island. Port hardy and fish cape sutil to Christensen point one day then the central coast side up by bremnar point toward cape caution and then out to the reefs if weather allows. This trip is lots of driving as well as tons of travel time in the boat and weather dependant also expect a fuel surcharge from the guides.

Can’t beat ucluelet if you still want to have meals out. You have access to Barkley sound as well as off shore.

Have you fished off shore before? Also what time of year are you planning?
Yes, I have a friend in Petersburg Alaska where I normally go but I’m taking my son in law for his first trip… any charter recommendations in Ucluelet ?

There's tons of guides in ukee and I'd say ukee is a great place to start. Like mentioned above, little bit of nights out for dinner and beach access. They have a brewery now. Late spring and summer can't beat.

There's tons of guides in ukee and I'd say ukee is a great place to start. Like mentioned above, little bit of nights out for dinner and beach access. They have a brewery now. Late spring and summer can't beat.
Thanks for the info, just did a map glance and some pictures and it looks awesome. Plenty of accommodations and eateries which will suit my group perfectly.

Thanks for the info, just did a map glance and some pictures and it looks awesome. Plenty of accommodations and eateries which will suit my group perfectly.

Can give miles a shout. He's a great fisherman and pretty dialed in over there

Planning a summer trip to VI and need some recommendations….a good base to stage from ? Charter companies to recommend? Best area on the island for beauty and productivity? Really looking for some good advice since I’ve never been there for fishing. Salmon/Halibut

I have fished all over the Island for years and I would recommend Ukee. In my opinion, definitely the best bang for your buck!

Word to the wise: Book you accommodations in Ukee NOW!
Last year the entire place was booked solid months ahead of the fishing season!

Cheers

Word to the wise: Book you accommodations in Ukee NOW!
Last year the entire place was booked solid months ahead of the fishing season!

Cheers
Yup,, shes getting tough already. Having a heck of a time finding something big enough for the 4 adults and 3 grandkids coming this summer. If you want to spend $800-$1000/ night there are some. For the couple nights you want you’ll be fine i would think, its the week long stuff that gets tough. And that town is a sleep this time of year getting a call back from anyone is another thing lol.

I agree with Ship Happens. Ukee is great. You have the option of offshore and inshore. Depending on your tolerance for sea sickness.
There’s some cool accommodation too. Check out the yurts/wall tents at Muscle Beach. Short trip down a logging road. But you’re right on the beach. There also used to be some good fish processing options too.

In my opinion, anywhere around Vancouver Island in a boat wetting a line is awesome. Yes there are some areas that stand out but it’s all spectacular.

With that short a timeframe, somewhere like Sooke or Campbell River likely fits best. Easy and quick access, less chance of weather keeping you off the water.. If you havent got a guide booked yet, get on it. The good ones get booked up early.

CRGreg

Back