Vancouver Chuck

Dropped the lines this a.m. between the Bell Buoy and the QA Marker and in short order I was being tailed by some hungry seals. Two fish on and two fish being sealed made for frustrating fishing. I guess I shouldn't complain ... they were good enough to leave a little behind on the line for me.
IMG00021-20100627-0750.jpg

Probably ready to go next weekend... to bring some luck to the new boat. Got a stack of new stuff to throw at 'em.

quote:Originally posted by morganic

Salmon smoker . I had crab trap experience friday evening.. Fishing near spanish banks last marker in about 120ft of water when bottom rod pops off. downriggere at 80ft so first thinking fish. after realizing not afish reverse to area and as i reel up line and lift rod float appears. drop rod float gone. finally buddy got hold of float and pulled up someones crab trap. judging by the muck on float and rope had been down there a while, no bait however one legal crab,my coyote spoon was hooked on cage. my guess is some one dropped it in 80 ft of water during low tide came back and it was gone. It was high tide so i cleaned up float took it in to 80ft and dropped back in. My buddy kept the crab for his new girlfriend. I told him she probably already had some :)

Drag'n'Fly
22' Blue & White Starcraft Islander

New Flashers & Heads from my favourite store down south.
New hootchies and hootchie-like things: "Panic Baits" "Goopie baits" "stick baits" off the racks in Japan. Glow everything. A Tazmmanian Devil, etc. etc.

quote:Originally posted by demco99

what kinda stuff J-Global?

Drag'n'Fly
22' Blue & White Starcraft Islander

They sound killer man what store down south did you find them at? I picked up some gear in oregon last week that I cant wait to try!

Looking to head out on Saturday and wondering if anyone had an opinion on if thasher would be the spot or South side of Bowen?

Any info would be appreciated.

cheers

boat-2.jpg

quote:Originally posted by getbent

Cedarman....Thrasher!!!

Getbent

Really?! Thrasher? I heard it sucked over there on Sunday. I heard Saturday wasn't so hot either. One boat had 5 or 6 close to the Grande...if you can call it that...most everyone else had 1 fish or 1 shot at a fish. You know something Getbent? Did it wake up Monday or Tuesday?

Thrasher has been dead,I hear lots of Coho at the CAP this year,to bad nobody sells firecracker live herring anymore,that was alot of fun;)

quote:Originally posted by wildwest

Thrasher has been dead,I hear lots of Coho at the CAP this year,to bad nobody sells firecracker live herring anymore,that was alot of fun;)

Saltwater fishing for Cap Cohos has been quiet for the last 6 days. 1 to 2 fish in a half or whole day depending on the day...fishing it hard. No point in selling live firecrackers anymore as there isn't enough Coho to fish for which warrants the trouble. The bag would still be full!

Time to go for more "sporting" fish Bruce...let's hope it happens this year.

Howe Sound Hole in the Wall to Bill Pt and the Tennis Courts are producing a few nice fish. West Van has the odd Coho. There are a few nice hatchery Cohoes along the Howe Sound Wall too. Best depths are 50-100 on Anchovies.

Does anyone have a report from the last few days with respect to the Ambleside/West Van waterfront. Going to head out for a couple hours tonight and was curious whether to expect a little coho activity or just a nice night in the sun.

Thanks as always.

Best I can do for you Teja is a few days old now but a few decent springs caught along west van. East side of Atkinson/Caufield area to Dundarave also produced some better catches of Coho but move around to find schools. Chinook were caught in bottom 3rd of water depth- coho pretty much 25-45. Careful doing any dragging bottom near ambleside as there seems to be a commercial crabber working right in at suzie.

Peahead - thanks for that. I am hoping that a few dry days and the reasonable tide tonight might make it more productive. I will report back.

Looking to see what we are using for Chinook and Coho. I'm using herring strip for Chinook and white hoochie for Coho. Any others with luck?

Great night last night along the Ambleside waterfront between 7pm and 9pm, if weather is your objective, but only a couple hits and nothing to the boat. Heard on the radio that there was one large coho caught shortly before we arrived but we didn't see, or hear of, anything caught while we were there. Lots of bait marked in the shallows to the west of the pink apartments though.

quote:Originally posted by BostonWhaler

Looking to see what we are using for Chinook and Coho. I'm using herring strip for Chinook and white hoochie for Coho. Any others with luck?

You're using the right stuff. However, the first big run of Cohos has moved through or past and we're going to have to wait for fresh arrivals. I don't call 1 or 2 shots (if you're lucky) at 5 lb fish something to wait 5 or more hours for. It's a tough go out there for Coho....Howe Sound Hole in the Water and points North is getting more consistent and there is now some size starting to show with the largest I know of being 26 lbs...caught yesterday. You should get a tango or few up Howe Sound along the wall.

Back