Vancouver Chuck

Was out with a friend on Tuesday. Started off Bowen in some nasty slop; fished through the high with no results and were about to pack it in when we decided to run to Thrasher. Best decision we ever made. Picked up 3 in the mid-teens and a MONSTER 36#er - biggest fish of my life. Took a couple of passes to get it in the net it was so big... The hook was significantly bent as well, so luck was definitely on our side!

All fish were between 100' - 140' on cop car or spackleback hootchies.

photo.jpg

"The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope."

Hey nice fish! Thanks for the pic and report too. [8D]
I sooooo want to get over there. [}:)]

Remember, it's called "fishing," not "catching."

quote:Originally posted by Pangaea

Was out with a friend on Tuesday. Started off Bowen in some nasty slop; fished through the high with no results and were about to pack it in when we decided to run to Thrasher. Best decision we ever made. Picked up 3 in the mid-teens and a MONSTER 36#er - biggest fish of my life. Took a couple of passes to get it in the net it was so big... The hook was significantly bent as well, so luck was definitely on our side!

All fish were between 100' - 140' on cop car or spackleback hootchies.

photo.jpg

"The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope."

Nice work. That's a hog! Was it a red or white?

Red, baby!!

Nice work pangaea. Its always great when you decide to make a big move and it pays off ! Fish that size are not very common this time of year and Gabriola really only sees a few each year over 30! Your next goal now is too add a big Hali to a limit of salmon !!

I just posted a request on another thread for the Fisheries Notices link on the DFO site (variation orders) I have thepage saed at home on my computer but trying from this computer the DFO site is brutal ....can't find the page even in several searches.

Anyone have the link - I am trying to find out about the possible slot limit that could be hitting south/east Thrasher sub areas of 29 soon.

Thanks. I got the info I needed from Pippen on another post:

quote:Originally posted by Pippen

This is the notice for that area.

http://www-ops2.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/x...m?pg=view_notice&lang=en&DOC_ID=124837&ID=all

In case the link doesn't work for ya....here is the pertinent info from the DFO site.

2. Subareas 18-1 to 18-6, 18-9, 18-11, 19-5 and a portion of 29-4, and 29-5
that lies south from a point on the east side of Valdes Island located at
49.05.562N/123.39.989W then extending 57 degrees True for 5 nautical miles to a
point at 49.08.316N/123.33.669W.

Effective 00:01 hours June 3, 2010 until 23:59 hours July 15, 2010 the daily
limit is two (2) chinook salmon per day of which only one (1) chinook may be
greater than 67 cm. The minimum size limit in these areas is 62cm.

HI Guys Billyt here, looking for TFO Pacific 2 reels I work for Steveston Marine. Email me at billyt1951@hotmail.com. Yes they are much better than the others. You Island Guys know your stuuf.

that was the same ******* that took off with our bait last sunday, lol, hell of a good call to boot over. awesome

quote:Originally posted by Pangaea

photo.jpg
NICE ONE Pangaea! I am one Sooke guy thats drooling [:p]

quote:Originally posted by billyt

HI Guys Billyt here, looking for TFO Pacific 2 reels I work for Steveston Marine. Email me at billyt1951@hotmail.com. Yes they are much better than the others. You Island Guys know your stuuf.
And thx for the spam billyt [:eek:)] us "Island guys" do know our stuff but you posted on the Vancouver thread :D

That pic makes the broken finger one handed typing worthwhile. Have to congratulate Pangaea on that beauty.

NICE FISH[8D]

Crabbing about a quarter mile south of the north arm in 50 to 80 ft. paid off for us last weekend with 11 big dungies. Some old squid chunks were the ticket.

Unfortunately only a couple undersize salmon - QA to the Bowen/hump area.

Had the lines in the water at 7:15am today +/- 3 miles off Cowan Pt and by 8:30am had my two springs. A 10 lb. at 100 ft on an anchovy and a 15 lb. at 85 ft on a Flaming Hans. It may have a been a lucky call to stay on this side this a.m. as it sounded like the wind was up at Thrasher and there wasn't an early morning bite there.

Nice work Teja ![^]

Coincidence or ??? It seems I've had best results off Bowen on falling/low tide. With today's tides it should have been low when you picked up your two.

Out this morning at Thrasher counted 42 boats with the derby on still had 3 hits 2 to the boat and one in the checker anchovie at 80 ft. oh and thanks to whoever cleaned my traps AND took my new bait holders ...:(:(

Does anyone know when the commercial crab season opens in English Bay?

Although I don't generally do reports I got to tell this one .... Not due to any fabulous report but interesting what happened.

I finally got out Sat. am after all my mechanical problems with the boat, my motor, trailer, vehicle. Thrasher was apparently a tad nasty in the am so didn't go over there and just stayed on this side. Rather than comit to going up the sound to explore I thought I'd stay in the strait with the option of Thrasher still there if wind died. I fished SW of QA and was pretty busy rt off the bat but mainly with undsersize. 5 hits one good one lost, 3 undesize and one 11-12 lb hatchery red ( all 140- 150' chovy). Then the mother of all hits, a rod at 110 ft keels over and pounds like a car hit it, I didn't grab it because I knew it be best left in the holder and I had no doubt this was going to spool me in seconds - Then a second rod goes off in the same violent manner (and I am by myself!). The first rod/reel was honking as line was going out so fast and the rod was bending to the water, then strait again as each second passed. There was no question about whether I should palm the reel or NOT!.... as I couldn't have. I'd have a welt in my hand in a second. Whatever was on these rods was moving faster and stronger than anything I have experienced. My brain couldn't figure this one out. I was standing there doing nothing, actually quite stunned. As my brain was going through the thought process I couldn't locate the answer. As I was searching for answers there was a SNAP and the first line was done. The second rod then goes limp. I quickly figured out that the second rod had just picked up the line from the first one running into it. As it turned out the gear from the first rod ended up tangling with the second rod such that I got all my gear back too !!

What I didn't mention at the beginning of this post was that there were 10- 20 dolphins rocketing out about 50 yards to my stern and I figure one or more swooped in and down to 11o feet and took my gear at 40 miles an hour !! Probably grabbed my flasher. The reason I think it grabbed the flasher is that I had one playing with my flasher this April but that time it circled the boat, confusing me at first because it was so odd to see a line pop off the rigger and then go a full 360 degree turn around the bow! . Last time it actually created more confusion because I hadn't seen the dolphins until well after the flasher was grabbed.

Any body else had this happen this Year?

A report fom 3.5 hrs fishing last night: - zipped to Thrasher last night in flat calm - nothing for a while fishing in close dragging the bottom contours SE of the rock and no bait ( lots of bottom dwellers though). Afer an hr and a half trolled out to about 2-3 miles North 'offshore' of Thrasher and started hitting fish. A few hits and losses and boated my 2 limit of smaller 9-10 lb chinooks quite quickly then quit- not too bad for quick evening trip. 140' on glow/green coyote with spinner blade. I am getting the 'rust out' after a month on dry land!

cheers....

Saturday Thrasher fun!

Here's a picture of one of BonChovy Fishing Charters landed catch from Saturday at Thrasher Rock. The boat had 6 fish. The other boat had 5 that day. :D

thrasher.jpg

Hi Peahead.

Glad to hear you got the boat back on the water. Thinkin I might go out tomorrow, sounds like it should be nice weather. Looks like the guys runnin to thrasher are still doing well, nice work guys.

Back