Vancouver Boat show

@Dogbreath,
how was the show? any issues with the tix? just making sure they didnt hassle you or anything? I've never used swarmjam before
and don't know if I ever will again
Tim

@Dogbreath, how was the show? any issues with the tix? just making sure they didnt hassle you or anything? I've never used swarmjam before and don't know if I ever will again Tim
Hi!

No worries no probs they were supposed to ask for ID (!) but really had No Clue how to proceed-the ticket taker was nice enough though she recognised the paper I printed off as being legit and there was no hassle.

Thanks Again-Carl Z

I didn't end up even going, so sorry no pics sculpin. I will get pics of that hourston build up when its done to makeup for it (She is looking gorgeous!). Buddy didn't need the rods, exams and everyones meh reports turned me off.

Went to both. More Boats in Seattle. More gear in Vancouver. Perhaps more alloy boats or just a better selection in Vancouver.
Those Stanley's are pretty neat, and do look like tanks.
I have no idea at all about the welding or grade of aluminum, but the Kingfishers definitely have the best finish/feel appeal.
Most of the others look/feel pretty raw. More work/fish boat feel.

I'm looking at a new AL boat (upgrading from a 22' cuddy) and I've been thinking about a closed cabin 26-28'. Right now I'm leaning towards the Kingfishers as the most family friendly (2 kids & wife pleasing) on top of being fishable.

I went to both shows this year. Vancouver boat show prices on a lot of gear was the same as list prices advertised in Seattle. Not many deals to be found at all. I did find a few items that matched Seattle prices though. Over all other than a few manufactures not at the Seattle show not a lot of sense hitting the Vancouver show if you have the opportunity to go south. Bigger show, better prices and cheaper food and booze.....LOL

As a welder by trade I did not like the welds on the Kingfisher as there was too much under-cut and cratering. A lot of other areas were ground smooth to hide the defects. No person could answer if they back gouge the welds to achieve 100% weld penetration.Weldcraft and there was one american build that I liked the welds on as they had a nice plate to plate fit with no cratering or under-cut.
Went to both. More Boats in Seattle. More gear in Vancouver. Perhaps more alloy boats or just a better selection in Vancouver.
Those Stanley's are pretty neat, and do look like tanks.
I have no idea at all about the welding or grade of aluminum, but the Kingfishers definitely have the best finish/feel appeal.
Most of the others look/feel pretty raw. More work/fish boat feel.

I'm looking at a new AL boat (upgrading from a 22' cuddy) and I've been thinking about a closed cabin 26-28'. Right now I'm leaning towards the Kingfishers as the most family friendly (2 kids & wife pleasing) on top of being fishable.

Gunsmith did you look at the welds on the duckworh?
Running 19 foot and the welds are a thing of beauty.
GLG

As a welder by trade I did not like the welds on the Kingfisher as there was too much under-cut and cratering. A lot of other areas were ground smooth to hide the defects. No person could answer if they back gouge the welds to achieve 100% weld penetration.Weldcraft and there was one american build that I liked the welds on as they had a nice plate to plate fit with no cratering or under-cut.

I don't know much about welding, but I did win a free year subscription to BC outdoors form the Kingfisher booth, Yay!

Yes I liked those welds also Thunderjet, Hewescraft are using the pulse-arc process which make a very nice uniform weld with a very small heat affected zone.

Gunsmith did you look at the welds on the duckworh?
Running 19 foot and the welds are a thing of beauty.
GLG

Gunsmith... Welding

Gunsmith, I'm seriously considering a Kingfisher. As I wrote, I know nothing about welding.

They have a lifetime warranty on the hull. Doesn't mean a lot if your boat is at the bottom of the Marina.
Is the welding just not well done cosmetically? Or is it something that will allow the boat to fall apart?

I like the Kingfisher because I can almost justify it to my wife as something she wouldn't mind being aboard for crusing over to the gulf islands and such, and that I can use for fishing.

Of the other boats I saw, some were obviously more raw above the water line/cabin. Some were too expensive (I think I saw a 28' or 29' for $200,000+?).

At this point I would either go Kingfisher or Glass, I think, I can't remember seeing another AL boat that is finished as nicely in the cabin at a price I could afford.

Any thoughts (by anyone) appreciated.

I would not worry too much about the welds as I am very picky. Harborcraft is very good with warranty work and these defects would have to put through some pretty extreme conditions to fail. I do have a concern about back gouging the weld because if not done on the hull plates there would be a serious hidden defect. Before buying get it in writing that this has been done.

Gunsmith, I'm seriously considering a Kingfisher. As I wrote, I know nothing about welding.

They have a lifetime warranty on the hull. Doesn't mean a lot if your boat is at the bottom of the Marina.
Is the welding just not well done cosmetically? Or is it something that will allow the boat to fall apart?

I like the Kingfisher because I can almost justify it to my wife as something she wouldn't mind being aboard for crusing over to the gulf islands and such, and that I can use for fishing.

Of the other boats I saw, some were obviously more raw above the water line/cabin. Some were too expensive (I think I saw a 28' or 29' for $200,000+?).

At this point I would either go Kingfisher or Glass, I think, I can't remember seeing another AL boat that is finished as nicely in the cabin at a price I could afford.

Any thoughts (by anyone) appreciated.

Back