Vancouver Area Report September 16

R

Rodbreaker

The PREDATOR'S PEN Date: September 16th/2004.

An update of the local saltwater fishing scene for Vancouver To : Saltwater Angler

By: David Korsch (Predator Charters)
E-mail: davek@dccnet.com Web Site: www.predatorcharters.com
Phone: (604) 329 - 8642 Fax: (604) 886 - 1928

Hello Fellow Anglers

The Capilano fall Chinook fishery has started!

It is still be bit early in the year, but obviously the wettish weather we have had over the past few weeks has called fish to their natal rivers a bit earlier than usual, and the Capilano fall fishery is definitely going strong as of right now.

The past couple evenings I have been out for the flooding tide, and the fishing has been very good to excellent. We only had about 3 hours of the flood on my Wednesday trip, but we managed to land 3 Chinook and lost a 4th at the boat (out of a total of 7 good hits). Unfortunately, two of the 3 we landed were undersized "jacks" (as was the one we lost at the boat), but we definitely had two other good fish hooked up that never made it to the boat (as well as another of indeterminate size).

On Thursday, the trip was planned around the tide, so we were fishing the flood on the whole trip. It started slow (nothing for basically the first couple hours), but then it really started rockin'! Between 4:15 and 6:15 we had 10 good hits, though we only solidly hooked up 5 of them. Of those five, we landed 3 in the low teens, lost a 4th at the boat (larger), and straightened the hooks on one. The other 5 hits didn't really hook up, but were definitely hard hits, so the day could have easily been really fantastic. The fish we landed were on the smaller side of the run's average (usually the low 20's), and all males, so this indicates it is only the first wave of fish to hit the Capilano this fall.

Fishing is great right now, and should continue well into October if the weather cooperates a bit. We have been pretty damp lately, so it has sped up our fall runs somewhat, but if we get a drying trend we should still find these large mature fish well into late October. If the weather remains on the damp side, we may find it ends around the middle of the month, and late October will find us pursuing winter Chinook (feeders) instead of mature fall fish. I guess only time will tell, but it definitely looks as if the latter portion of September will be substantially better than average this year, and may even be the peak time for this run (instead of early October).

Though all the fish landed off the Capilano this afternoon were in the low teens, one of the other boats lost a fish at the side of the boat they estimated to be in the 40+ lb class, so there are a few REALLY large fish there as well. By next week we will be having some great morning flood tides, and I suspect we will find the fishing to be excellent (especially around the high slack which I have not been able to fish these last couple days due to falling darkness). Most fish are hitting an anchovy/flasher combo trolled just off the bottom in 75 to 100 feet of water, but a few are still being taken in the 40 to 60 foot range as well. Whole herring/no flasher isn't working too well as of yet, but should become the best option shortly.

The mouth of the Fraser River has also continued to steadily produce nice Chinook up over 40 lbs (as of right now, it is still the place to try for the largest fish), but the seals have been killing us unless it is a weekend where there are a few dozen boats around to spread out these nasty pests. If you can avoid the seals, you could be looking at hooking quite a few Chinook, and there is a chance of getting into one in the 50 lb range (or even larger)! This area should produce well for the next couple weeks, though it will be dependant on the weather and run timing etc.... There is enough water in the Fraser for the fish to migrate upriver, so once they decide to it will slow considerably

If you wish to fish for large Chinook during the most consistent fishery of the year, it looks like these next couple weeks will provide you with an excellent opportunity.

As always, feel free to pass this information along to any associates whom may appreciate the report. If you have any questions, or wish to book a charter, e-mail me davek@dccnet.com), or call me at (604) 329 - 8642.

Tight Lines,
David Korsch
Predator Charters
(604) 329 - 8642
davek@dccnet.com
www.predatorcharters.com

that's why there's a warranty!

Back