Vancouver area fishing?

I was at bell bouy today and caught a 15 lb at 70 ft. Had 2 others on the line. Only 15 boats on the water, mostly guide boats. Saw 3 others caught.

quote:Originally posted by LastChance
Besides, as I hear someone had found, a bucket of two pound weights kept close at hand and used liberally will get the attention of even the most blind, pointy-goateed, captains hat wearing, British Accented, ignorant skipper.

What goes around comes around.

LC....while I agree the "Skipper" sounds as though he was cutting it mighty close; correct me if I am wrong, but the boat under sail does have the right of way in this situation as the "fishing" boat "is" technically under power?

Trust me...from having raced for years there are a lot of ignorant, pompous skippers out there (just as there are fishermen ;) ). Just remember the race course is determined by the wind and not out of the race committee having complete disregard for who is on the water. For the most part they don't have sonar to see where the fish are, or aren't. :D

On a side note....as I mentioned earlier for those of you fishing out around the Bell Buoy this Saturday; there is a fairly good sized regatta (start at 11am through to about 1pm) and more often than not the race course begins down off RVYC and heads straight up Spanish Banks. Keep an eye out for the "marks" when they are put down; they will be the large orange "triangles" floating out there. Bear in mind that is generally the "upwind" leg of the race that heads up towards the Bell Buoy, and boats can't just run straight at the mark. They will be tacking back and forth and some will have to go quite wide depending on what the wind and tide are doing to ensure they can round the mark with the least number of manoveurs.

I agree that we all have to get along but there are hard and fast rules regarding sailing and power boats.

Rule 12

Sailing vessels

(a) When two sailing vessels are approaching one another, so as to involve risk of collision, one of them shall keep out of the way of the other as follows:

(i) when each has the wind on a different side, the vessel which has the wind on the port side shall keep out of the way of the other;
(ii) when both have the wind on the same side, the vessel which is to windward shall keep out of the way of the vessel which is to leeward;
(iii) if a vessel with the wind on the port side sees a vessel to windward and cannot determine with certainty whether the other vessel has the wind on the port or on the starboard side, she shall keep out of the way of the other.

(b) For the purpose of this Rule the windward side shall be deemed to be the side opposite to that on which the mainsail is carried or, in the case of a square-rigged vessel, the side opposite to that on which the largest fore-and-aft sail is carried.

Rule 13

Overtaking

(a) Notwithstanding anything contained in the Rules of part B, sections I and II, any vessel overtaking any other shall keep out of the way of the vessel being overtaken.

(b) A vessel shall be deemed to be overtaking when coming up with another vessel from a direction more than 22.5 degrees abaft her beam, that is, in such a position with reference to the vessel she is overtaking, that at night she would be able to see only the sternlight of that vessel but neither of her sidelights.

(c) When a vessel is in any doubt as to whether she is overtaking another, she shall assume that this is the case and act accordingly.

(d) Any subsequent alteration of the bearing between the two vessels shall not make the overtaking vessel a crossing vessel within the meaning of these Rules or relieve her of the duty of keeping clear of the overtaken vessel until she is finally past and clear.

Everyone needs to be aware that sailboats DONOT always have the right of way.

Play nice !!

Sounds like the fishing is hot out there again.

I booked with Bonnie Lee Charters from Granville Island with a bunch of guys from work. We're going to give it a go and it'll give me an opportunity to sit back and relax and watch the pros in action. A friend of mine just called me up and said that he just watched two of their boats come in and that both boats had limits of springs for everyone on board. All were in the mid to low twenties and one of the guides said that they lost one into the mid to high thirties.

I can hardly wait!

[:p]

If this local guide report doesn't get you fired up..you're DEAD! O I think I shoudl be booking off sick...lol.

:D :D

Bon Chovy Report

Well it seems like the fishing has gotten even better locally after the initial push of big chinook salmon rolled in last week. On Sunday, Aug 17th and Monday, August 18th we had some really good results on our charters. Our Grady White, Bon Chovy landed 4 chinook salmon in the 14 to 28 pound range as well as lost 4 on Sunday morning. The Seastar, our Big Uniflite had a good trip with the boys from EA Sports and managed to land 3 nice chinook between 15 and 25 pounds and a few spring jacks. This morning we had another great charter on Bon Chovy with the guys landing 4 nice chinook up to 25 pounds and a nice 7 pound coho.

We have been focusing our efforts around Spanish Banks and Point Grey. Trolling anchovies has been the ticket to success for us between 35-70 feet. The trusty ol' white hootchie even picked up a couple decent fish this morning.

These fish we are seeing are primarily summer red chinook heading for the Fraser. As we progress into September we should see good numbers of fall white chinook. The DFO is forecasting a really strong return for Harrison stock chinook this fall so with any luck we could see this great fishing continue into mid October .

Give us a call to book a charter for the biggest salmon of the year!

Tight lines
Jason/Jeff
www.bonchovy.com

Was out today at the Bell. I decided to follow Predator across to Lighthouse when a freighter came around the corner. Being the diehard I left the lines in the water. As I circled to aviod being sunk a fish hit, I grabbed the rod set the hook (I thought) two good runs then nothing. I had four rods out and got the hit on the gold and chrome teaser. It was around noon and I was at 60 feet.

Sailboats ought to stay clear of fishing boats (as clearly stated in rule 18 of the collision regulations), but some sailors navigate under the mistaken belief that all powered vessel </u> must move out of their way. While fishing I've almost been rammed a few times by sailboats. Not impressed with folks who don't know the regs and think they own the water. [V]

Rule 18

Responsibilities between Vessels

Except where Rules 9, 10 and 13 otherwise require:

(a) A power-driven vessel underway shall keep out of the way of:

(i) a vessel not under command,

(ii) a vessel restricted in her ability to manoeuvre,

(iii) a vessel engaged in fishing,

(iv) a sailing vessel.

(b) A sailing vessel underway shall keep out of the way of:

(iii) a vessel engaged in fishing.

Remember, it's called "fishing," not "catching."

Sailboats ought to stay clear of fishing boats (as clearly stated in rule 18 of the collision regulations), but some sailors navigate under the mistaken belief that all powered vessel </u> must move out of their way. While fishing I've almost been rammed a few times by sailboats. Not impressed with folks who don't know the regs and think they own the water. [V]

Rule 18

Responsibilities between Vessels

Except where Rules 9, 10 and 13 otherwise require:

(a) A power-driven vessel underway shall keep out of the way of:

(iii) a vessel engaged in fishing,

(iv) a sailing vessel.

(b) A sailing vessel underway shall keep out of the way of:

(iii) a vessel engaged in fishing.

Remember, it's called "fishing," not "catching."

Thanks for posting that up Red Monster.

I have been sailing and fishing for years but this is the first time I actually scratched my head as to who has the right of way in this instance. Personally....I would steer clear of the fishing boat regardless.

I for one will tell you there are a LOT of a-hole skippers out there who likely have no idea about this and just figure they rule the road. Put them in a racing situation and the disregard for boats outside of their 'race' is mind boggling at times. This is what turned me off racing and to a certain degree sailing; I prefer power boating when heading away for a few weeks/weekend. I only race in about 3 regatta's a year now.

Thanks for posting that up Red Monster.

I have been sailing and fishing for years but this is the first time I actually scratched my head as to who has the right of way in this instance. Personally....I would steer clear of the fishing boat regardless.

I for one will tell you there are a LOT of a-hole skippers out there who likely have no idea about this and just figure they rule the road. Put them in a racing situation and the disregard for boats outside of their 'race' is mind boggling at times. This is what turned me off racing and to a certain degree sailing; I prefer power boating when heading away for a few weeks/weekend. I only race in about 3 regatta's a year now.

Just playing devils advocate here but I believe the rule as it pertains to fishing boats is with respect to commercial boats and not sporties. I am in agreement with the last reply in that I would always stear clear of a boat fishing. I think most sailors are of the opinion that pasage pertains to commercial boats only.

Just playing devils advocate here but I believe the rule as it pertains to fishing boats is with respect to commercial boats and not sporties. I am in agreement with the last reply in that I would always stear clear of a boat fishing. I think most sailors are of the opinion that pasage pertains to commercial boats only.

Jarod....I will add that I would venture a guess that more than 80% of sailors believe that if they are "under sail" they have the right of way over any vessel which is "under power".

Interesting point about the commercial vs. sporty aspect of fishing vessels.

Jarod....I will add that I would venture a guess that more than 80% of sailors believe that if they are "under sail" they have the right of way over any vessel which is "under power".

Interesting point about the commercial vs. sporty aspect of fishing vessels.

The rule is very clear in the COL REGS:

Fishing does not pertain to RECREATIONAL fishing. It pertains to COMMERCIAL fishing so this rule has no merrit with rec fishermen. But if sail or any vessel is over taking another vessel THEY MUST GIVE way.

It would nice if it did !!

www.bites-on.com

The rule is very clear in the COL REGS:

Fishing does not pertain to RECREATIONAL fishing. It pertains to COMMERCIAL fishing so this rule has no merrit with rec fishermen. But if sail or any vessel is over taking another vessel THEY MUST GIVE way.

It would nice if it did !!

www.bites-on.com

After 2 very slow days at the Point Grey Bell I believe this fishery has ended for the time being. There will always be a few fish caught in this area now until the end of October but the main run appears to be over. We have worked the T10 with no success either. I guess we are back to creative fishing again.

good luck

www.bites-on.com

After 2 very slow days at the Point Grey Bell I believe this fishery has ended for the time being. There will always be a few fish caught in this area now until the end of October but the main run appears to be over. We have worked the T10 with no success either. I guess we are back to creative fishing again.

good luck

www.bites-on.com

quote:Originally posted by BigHog

good luck

www.bites-on.com

I was skunked today at the B.B. today. Shouldn't there be a run of whites heading up the Fraser in the next few weeks? What about the Cap?

quote:Originally posted by BigHog

good luck

www.bites-on.com

I was skunked today at the B.B. today. Shouldn't there be a run of whites heading up the Fraser in the next few weeks? What about the Cap?

Back