Vancouver area fishing?

A

ashtonspoutine

Hey guys,

Ive been away from Vancouver fishing for almost a year now for work and play. Im getting back in about 3 hours from Alaska. Had a BLAST fishing here.

Just wondering whats going on around Vancouver area? Or Chilliwack and Hope?

Im soo lost I dont even have any idea what species is running right now. I am stuck on shore so stream fishing for me.

Not looking for secret spots. Just species and rivers if possible.

Thanks

Jonathan

Slow overall.

Was out Wednesday one bump on a hootchie all morning that was it.

imgp0742mj2.th.jpg

Ashton....I had noticed you had disappeared from the forums. You'll have to fill us in, with what you been doing?

I can't comment on the rivers, but the local salt around Vancouver has been SLOW. The odd spotty report of some fish in towards Hole in the Wall, but as far as West Van, Bell Buoy etc...everywhere has been very, very spotty. You will see there is a "Vancouver Area Reports" thread on here that is a pretty dismal read.

thanks Dog & Pippen. Ill look up that other thread.

Yeah, Ive been gone for a while. I was working out of province for a few months and just spent May 25th until yesterday fishing in Alaska. Had a blast. Fished all over the Kenai peninsula and other parts of South Central. I caught fish till my arms hurt! Good times.

Im hoping to do some fishing here in Vancouver now that Im back.

Man am I happy with this weather though. Makes up for the poor fishing!

Two weeks ago had a great day ,fished yesterday boy talk about ****ty nothing at all

2 small Springs late this afternoon/early this eve.

Both 30-40 ft deep one on Anchovy~Green/Silver teaser head another on a Dymara~Green/Glo spoon.

imgp0742mj2.th.jpg

Don't give up hope. Friend of mine nailed a 35'+ spring mid-week trolling anchovies from the QA marker towards Vancouver.
Kipper.

Went down to Granville island with the misses on Sunday and noticed that Bonnielee charters had laid into a half dozen springs from 1 boat and when i came past again a few hours later they has more slabs on the table. Looks like its game time again

A friend of mine sent me this in an email today:

Vancouver Saltwater Fishing for Chinook:

Downtown Vancouver Salmon Fishing Report

August 11 Report

THE FISH ARE HERE !!!!

Well we finally have our first big run of Chinook / King Salmon in our local waters. Saturday we saw signs of the fish building with 3 or 4 good Chinook on the hook. Sunday morning saw this fishery explode with many boats getting a shot at 2,3 or even 4 large fish. If you were lucky enough not to break one off you had a couple in the box. One boat had a shot at 11 fish on the morning tide. One of our boats was 2 for 6 with the fish weighing in at about 25 pounds. The afternoon was not as active as the morning but still gave us opportunities for fish. This morning (Aug 11) at least 60 Killer / Orca Whales are in English Bay chasing large schools of Chinook. Hopefully they don't take them all as this fishery should last a week or more with the low Fraser water levels. We have been working the Point Grey Bell Buoy area and the depths have been 60' to 80' with Anchovy and White hootchies working best. Upgrade your leader to at least 25 to 40 pound for your best chance of landing these fish. The largest fish yesterday was a 33 pound Red Spring !!

We have a few openings for morning trips this week so if you want a chance at some large fish give us a call. Tight lines.

Evan, JohnB, Scott and Pete

Bites-on Salmon Charters can be reached in Vancouver
at 1-877-688-2483 or at (604) 688-2483

www.bites-on.com

Jim's Fishing Charters
www.JimsFishing.com
http://ca.youtube.com/user/Sushihunter250

Some more Vancouver info from Predator Charters:

By: David Korsch (Predator Charters)
E-mail: davek@dccnet.com Web Site: www.predatorcharters.com
Phone: (604) 329 - 8642 Fax: (604) 886 - 1928

Hello Fellow Anglers

The Chinook have hit the Fraser!!!!

This morning those of us fishing off Pt. Grey experienced a VERY good Chinook bite that lasted all morning. Most of the fish came in between 15 and 30 lbs, but there were a few larger ones, and I got a report of one that may have reached well into the 40's. Most boats hooked into several good fish, several were broken off by inexperienced anglers, and I think boxing 3 large fish was about average. It really was good fishing. We had an "average" morning, boating two "reds" of 16.5, and 21 lbs, and a 26 lb white in addition to releasing a couple undersized Jacks.

I'd expect to see the action to continue for a few days at least (since the fish just arrived), and it could even pick up further as we often find the best fishing off the mouth of the Fraser around the full or new moon phases (next weekend). We may even see the action continue on a steady pace right into September, as the West Vancouver net pens come on-line this summer with 3-yr Chinook returning. This could occur in late August or early September, so we may just find that we will experience several waves of Chinook arriving for the rest of the summer. It's about time we had some good local fishing!

Of course many of you have heard that the sockeye fishery was closed almost as soon as it was opened. I guess the early fish arrived in larger than expected numbers, but the summer fish (the ones we target) came in much lower. I don't expect to have any changes occur now, so we can put to rest any hope of a sockeye fishing this summer

I am already quite booked through the next week or so, but do have a few openings early this week, so the timing could be great for those who can take advantage of it. At the present time, I am open Mon. Aug 11th (am, pm), Tues. Aug 12th (am, pm), Wed. Aug 13th (am, pm), and potentially Thurs. Aug 14th (am....but I have to be back at the dock by mid-day). My next opening would then be Wed. Aug 20th (pm), and I am also open Aug 21st and Aug 22nd (am, pm).

As always, feel free to pass this information along to any associates whom may appreciate the report. If you have any questions, or wish to book a charter, e-mail me davek@dccnet.com), or call me at (604) 329 - 8642.

Tight Lines,
David Korsch
Predator Charters
www.predatorcharters.com
davek@dccnet.com

Jim's Fishing Charters
www.JimsFishing.com

Just want to give credit where credit is due. Jim did not mention where the report came from as he did in Dave Korch's report.

Downtown Vancouver Salmon Fishing Report

August 11 Report

Well we finally have our first big run of Chinook / King Salmon in our local waters. Saturday we saw signs of the fish building with 3 or 4 good Chinook on the hook. Sunday morning saw this fishery explode with many boats getting a shot at 2,3 or even 4 large fish. If you were lucky enough not to break one off you had a couple in the box. One boat had a shot at 11 fish on the morning tide. One of our boats was 2 for 6 with the fish weighing in at about 25 pounds. The afternoon was not as active as the morning but still gave us opportunities for fish. This morning (Aug 11) at least 60 Killer / Orca Whales are in English Bay chasing large schools of Chinook. Hopefully they don't take them all as this fishery should last a week or more with the low Fraser water levels. We have been working the Point Grey Bell Buoy area and the depths have been 60' to 80' with Anchovy and White hootchies working best. Upgrade your leader to at least 25 to 40 pound for your best chance of landing these fish. The largest fish yesterday was a 33 pound Red Spring !!

We have a few openings for morning trips this week so if you want a chance at some large fish give us a call. Tight lines.

Evan, JohnB, Scott and Pete

Bites-on Salmon Charters can be reached in Vancouver
at 1-877-688-2483 or at (604) 688-2483

www.bites-on.com

thanks Jim

I was the one who forwarded Jim that Vancouver report that was from Bites-On Charters and Jim unfortunately didn't mention that. When I forward reports I include where the report came from unless of course the report is my own (as I do still get out fishing once in a while!!) I forward reports only from quality charter operations and known reliable sources. I am a member of the BCSFGA and have guided with Bites-On Charters. They are a first class operation.

quote:Originally posted by keta863

I was the one who forwarded Jim that Vancouver report that was from Bites-On Charters and Jim unfortunately didn't mention that. When I forward reports I include where the report came from unless of course the report is my own (as I do still get out fishing once in a while!!) I forward reports only from quality charter operations and known reliable sources. I am a member of the BCSFGA and have guided with Bites-On Charters. They are a first class operation.

Greg:

Nice to see you finally signed up here! [8D]

I would have given them credit, but they only had a logo in the report as I recall. In checking the report, I see there was contact info, but it was down at the bottom of the email, and not at the bottom of the report.

And yes, they are a first rate charter company.

Jim's Fishing Charters
www.JimsFishing.com

How'd it go out there this AM? I was watching enviously from Spanish Banks on my way to work... Fourteen boats by my count. Might try to play a little hooky tomorrow AM early.

The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope.

quote:Originally posted by Pangaea

How'd it go out there this AM? I was watching enviously from Spanish Banks on my way to work... Fourteen boats by my count. Might try to play a little hooky tomorrow AM early.

The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope.

There was 1 fish caught out there this morning. Most guide boats were skunked.

Does that mean its over already wow whats the deal I was all excited ran out and bought chovies for tommorrow and now nothing ,

quote:Originally posted by farny

Does that mean its over already wow whats the deal I was all excited ran out and bought chovies for tommorrow and now nothing ,

A large pod of hungry killer whales will easily take care of a few hundred springs.

Back