Vacuum sealer

mike780

Hi everyone,
Looking at replacing my worn out vacuum sealer. I have a cabelas sealer for a couple seasons now and not impressed with it at all. Doesn't take all the air out sometimes and after less than a year the seal on a couple things have went away.

Let me know what you use.

Mike

Three buttons in from the right is a search thread button.

There are lots of threads on this that have been discussed in length that you will find very educational :).

Cheers
John

Quite a few folks have gone to the chamber sealers and there are a couple of threads on those units as well :cool:.

I got mine from Costco. The great thing with them is that if it craps out in 2 or 3 years, they will take it back. Cheapest place I found for bags is Wells Can in Burnaby, especially if you buy in volume.

Last edited by a moderator:
hey tim how does this unit hold up been thinking about buying it.... can you do a few fish without having to wait for machine to cool down?

River Sportsman in Campbell River were selling boxes of pre made vacuum bags last year, so I decided to try a box out, after using them I decided I would not go back to the rolls unless I needed a specially sized bag. The cost of the pre made was cheaper than the rolls the main advantage is that you are only using the sealing strip once per bag instead of twice.

I've often wondered why someone doesn't make a bag cutter/sealer to speed up the process and reduce wear and tear on the vacuum packer

I have struggled with a cabelas vacc sealer for the last 15 years and finally bit the bullet and bought a VP 215 chamber sealer. $800+ American but it should last the rest of my life. Hell I paid around $300 for the POS Cabelas sealer 15 years ago. $28-50 dollars for 1000 count pre cut 4mil bags depending on size. I couldn't be happier with the purchase. Only downside I see is this thing is big and heavy and you need a dedicated space for it. I think it weighs 80+ pounds.

I have a food saver and had always bought fs rolls.
After 2 years I started buying commercial bags (Weston) and that made ALL the difference. Since then I have been ordering them by the 1000's from Halfords

My little $90 food saver is working great. I picked up a second one last year at crappy tire, for about $70.

I really think alot of it is the bags.
There was a group of Victoria guys that went in on a big order of commercial bags last year. I had already purchased, but would do the same this year....2000 bags from Halford's is free shipping.

DB

hey tim how does this unit hold up been thinking about buying it.... can you do a few fish without having to wait for machine to cool down?
you can do as many as you want, she's pretty heavy duty alright, theres a good utube on it I'll see if I can dig up
great deals on bags and bulk rolls of the premium stuff there too

Edit for link
here is the actual one I use, the link I posted above is for the new version of mine

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDXFMHc5JnE

I am still cheating and its working... I still use my food saver...But I wrap all my fish in saran wrap than I vacuum seal it. ( two stage process)... Every since I started doing that I rarely have any fish that goes bad. I was going to get that new chamber sealer, but it is still a lot of money...

I got the Weston sportsman great unit fit the budget only going on year 2 with it so can't comment on long term use but great so far. I think I paid around $250 and the Weston pre cut bags are great.

Back