Cabelas vacuum sealer with non cabelas bags?

Brett McK

Hello All,

I was wondering if anyone had experience with using the cabelas HD vacuum sealer (120$?) with different brand bags or rolls? I'm conviently walking by London Drugs everyday and was wondering if any of the foodsaver brands or other LD brands work too? And if they are the same quality as cabelas bags?
I'm just not wanting to run out to Abby for the deer butchering weekend ahead of me.

Thanks in advanced!

Tight lines

Brett

Last edited:
Hello All,

I was wondering if anyone had experience with using the cabelas HD vacuum sealer (120$?) with different brand bags or rolls? I'm conviently walking by London Drugs everyday and was wondering if any of the foodsaver brands or other LD brands work too? And if they are the same quality as cabelas bags?
I'm just not wanting to run out to Abby for the deer butchering weekend ahead of me.

Thanks in advanced!

Tight lines

Brett
Order bags from Amazon. They're 1/4 the price and better quality.
I don't have a problem with Amazon putting companies like foodsaver out of business. What a scam they are.

I cant speak to the Cabelas sealer as I don't own one. I have found the Food Saver bags to have a high failure rate when I use them.
I have a cheap Ziploc sealer, but I always look for 4 mil bags. Brand doesn't seem to matter as much as thickness. I believe the Food Savers are only 3 mil

Order bags from Amazon. They're 1/4 the price and better quality.
I don't have a problem with Amazon putting companies like foodsaver out of business. What a scam they are.
Can you post a link here?
I used to pick up the 11” rolls from Cabelas but they seem to only have the pre-cut bags atm.

Wow that's a hell of a deal. I'm using the Anova sealer that is now on sale, and got suckered into buying their bags. I will give those a try...the wicked part with the Anova sealer is the pickle / infusion option, this thing just works great although you're not sealing up an entire filet in this thing, or a prime rib roast. But, it works 10X better than the Foodsaver one I have which basically does two seals then goes for a beer or 10 before rising to the occasion once more.

This is where I buy mine from. I buy the 8x12 bags 1000 bags and split them with friends. Lots of different sizes to choose from.

Okay good to know,

My gf is down in the states so ill see if she can get some bags at coscto!

Got some butchering going down and want to always have a hundred or so on hand for ongoing weekend harvests!

Thanks for all the replies, much appreciated!!!

Okay good to know,

My gf is down in the states so ill see if she can get some bags at coscto!

Got some butchering going down and want to always have a hundred or so on hand for ongoing weekend harvests!

Thanks for all the replies, much appreciated!!!
Halfords is great for ordering a few hundred and always having stock. Good quality bags. It’s always nice to have bags on hand but also a roll so you can make your own sized bags if you have to seal something bigger

I have 2 Foodsaver Sealers,,one from Costco 6 years ago and one (different model) from Cdn Tire 5 years ago. I have use "many" bags from Foodsaver, Cabelas and Halfords and the "only" time I have had an issue is when I've sucked liquid into the seal or I've punctured a bag with a pin bone. Other than that, all embossed bags should work on the Food saver models.

Now, when I seal my fish I lay them on a tray and stiffen them up in the freezer before sealing. Doing it this way I now have no issues with sucking liquid into the seal. An extra step in the process but it works for me and no more issue with failed seals.

Put the filets in the bag with the skin toward the rough side and the flesh toward the smooth side and you will have a better long term result.

Back