using tablet as gps

I use the Navionics app on an old 1st generation 10.1" Samsung tablet. I love it, not even at the slightest hesitation. It works flawlessly. I've thought of making a waterproof case and installing it where the old Lowrance piece of crap is, but never got around to it. Most guys like to convince themselves that they need $2000 gps systems, then they fish in the same areas near Sooke. I don't like to waste money on crap that I don't need. This is more then enough for my needs. Only complaint would be when the sun is shining on the screen it can be hard to see. It will work fine with any android tablet using the android OS 4 or higher. And I think on all iPads. I give the Navionics app a solid 10 / 10 rating.
I look at it like this. You can buy a brand 10.1 inch galaxy tablet for $350 (unless you overpay for an apple). The HD app is $50. If you want to go on the cheap you can get a sweet tablet off used victoria for $200. So for $250 - $400 and you have a great GPS system + a free tablet. And its still way cheaper then the cheapest marine gps units.

If you have cell service, you could always use an ipad and just tether your cell phone and connect your ipad to it. I have the standard 5" Lowrance chart plotter, chart app on iphone as a back up and a handheld gps with charts as a 3rd back up and finally, wife has same app on her phone. Got er covered!!!

You would have to check the specs on each individual device, but all tablets should have GPS regardless of wifi, 3g or 4g capability. Besides theres no signals from my provider where I usually fish. Beechy to secratary. My 1st generation Samsung Galaxy works flawlessly.

I have a Toshiba AT300. just installed navionics (already have it on phone). looks like everything worked, just have to see if this tablet has gps onboard...

You would have to check the specs on each individual device, but all tablets should have GPS regardless of wifi, 3g or 4g capability. Besides theres no signals from my provider where I usually fish. Beechy to secratary. My 1st generation Samsung Galaxy works flawlessly.

Most tablets do not have a gps only iPads with 4g or 3G have a gps built in not sure about other brands

Heres the compatibility list on the navionics website.
http://www.navionics.com/sites/www.navionics.com/files/documents/Mobile Compatibility Guide_4.pdf

As for android devices, the final line states:
"Navionics apps are designed to load and operate correctly with all tablets with an Android OS 3.0 or higher and all smartphones with an Android OS 2.3.3 or higher".

Regarding Apple, the final line states:
"Wi-Fi model locates your GPS position only if Wi-Fi is connected. Wi-Fi+3G model operates similar to iPhone with regard to GPS capability. Updates to our apps will be available provided that the device is updated with iOS 6.0 or higher". Fishtank was right about the iPads.

Just another reason why apple blows and android is awesome. But more importantly apple charges a lot for memory and wants to sell you cloud space when you run out of memory (nice residual income for apple). With a Samsung tab, you can upgrade your memory 32-64 GB with a 30-$50 micro sd card. Apple devices are not upgradable.
I swear by apple computers because they are easy and don't get infected with viruses. I have used em since the beginning, but in my opinion the devices (iphones & tabs) are garbage compared to android. I use a samsung galaxy s2 phone and a 1st gen Galaxy tab. I can't vouch for the performance of other android devices, but my Samsung stuff is awesome. My wife has an iPhone and I get pissed off that she always needs help with it. Just my 2 bits!

Last edited by a moderator:
Check out the Samsung Note Pro and Tab pro (Just released in Canada days ago). I have the note 8.0 and it is awesome, if someone was interested in one of these I would recommend the ones that come with the stylus pens (Note Pro and Note 8.0) The pen keeps your screen free of finger prints, and allows you to interact with exact precision and my hand writing never looked so good!

http://www.samsung.com/global/microsite/galaxynotepro12.2/spec.html

Last edited by a moderator:
The only real way to be sure you have a built in GPS receiver in your device is to try it in an area without cell service. Most phones do work, but not all tablets, unless you have an external receiver.
Stosh

Back