iPad With GPS for Navigation

Pudsey

I'm thinking of getting an iPad with internal gps and wondering about a few things:
1. Is the Navionics system the best for navigation?
2. Is it possible or necessary to add an external gps antennae?
3. Can I charge the iPad using my boat's 12 volt system? If so, what would be needed?
Any comments or suggestions welcome.

I'm thinking of getting an iPad with internal gps and wondering about a few things:
3. Can I charge the iPad using my boat's 12 volt system? If so, what would be needed?
I never use my iPad on the boat but I do use it in the backcountry in the truck. The built in gps works fine for that.

Get a usb plug in mounted in your dash and you can charge the iPad with a phone cord. The new iPads come with a different plug in than a usb but the old cords still charge it fine (just not as fast)

I’ve used a couple RAM mounts for holding IPads at my helm. The Xgrip mount works awesome. I also have a couple USB ports up there so we can keep phones charged up on max brightness. Navionics works just fine inside all the aluminum cabins I’ve been in.

If you get an iPad that can have a cell phone plan, it comes with a built in gps. You don’t need to activate the phone plan though. I have a plan on mine but rarely have cell service when I’m in the woods.

I use the I boating app for an emergency back up just in case my dash unit fails. Sometimes i do a comparison just for the hell of it out in barkley sound. Surprisingly the cell phone gps and i boating app are very close to my lowrance. Have a USB port in the dash also for charging purposes. Not my first choice by a long shot but might as well have it.

Along this line i have an iPhone with the app on it that is my back up.

open top/ Bimini/hardtop would use a dedicated unit . cabin enclosed fine for a ipad not great in direct sunlight out on the chuck ...

but what do i know only have 4 screens now....on the boat ....lol

I’ve used the Garmin Glo with an old iPad for years and it works great. I use Navionics and like it, but I’ve never used anything else to compare. The iPad battery doesn’t last all day if I keep the screen on but I take a power bank to plug in to when it runs low. The Glo charge lasts all day. I like that everything is so portable. I can take the same setup in my vehicle and use it with any map app. I think the Glo is about $150. No need for a new iPad, an old otherwise retired one works fine. Connects to the Glo via Bluetooth.

Got the cheapest I could find (from Staples on sale) about $200 with gps capabilities. Forget the cell phone stuff as it adds to the price. Navionics app was about $16 at the time. Bought a ram mount and it's been flawless and has worked perfectly. Stay away from apple as the ipad and apps are more expensive. Get the biggest screen available for what you want to spend. Had it for at least 6 years now. Get a power cord to plug in on the boat so you don't have battery issues.

Got the cheapest I could find (from Staples on sale) about $200 with gps capabilities. Forget the cell phone stuff as it adds to the price. Navionics app was about $16 at the time. Bought a ram mount and it's been flawless and has worked perfectly. Stay away from apple as the ipad and apps are more expensive. Get the biggest screen available for what you want to spend. Had it for at least 6 years now. Get a power cord to plug in on the boat so you don't have battery issues.
I did the same thing. Works great, only complaint would be on really sunny days can be hard to see compared to a purpose built plotter screen.

I have been using a GPS enabled iPad with the Navionics app as a spare chartplotter for the last 7 seasons, I take it on the boat every trip and it works great and comparable in quality to my HDS12 but harder to see the screen on bright days but I can move it to the shaded cuddy when needed. Easy to charge with the 12 volt system on the boat but I have a spare battery brick which I use on longer trips.

This has been covered quite a few times over the years on here.
I’ve been using Navionics beside my Lowrance hds 9 for 9 years. It’s great. You have two independent gps systems.
By the time our Lowrance screen is half fish finder and 1/4 autopilot there is not much left to see the gps map.
My 10year old cellular iPad still works with the latest Navionics app. With a good usb charger plugged and the brightness halfway up it lasts all day.
Best tip I can give you is this: to be able to see the screen on bright sunny days, consider the angle you mount the iPad. When sitting at the helm and with your iPad mounted, if you put a mirror on the iPad screen what would you see? If it’s the underside of the bimini or hardtop that is perfect. If it is reflecting the sky, Or water or out the back of the boat glare will be a problem at times.

There's reasons for dedicated plotter/sounder units costing what they do. The most expensive component by far is the screen. These aren't ordinary monitor or smartphone screens, they're high-brightness units designed to be viewable in full daylight. Do a google search for Outdoor TVs and check out the prices, several times more than a generic flat screen. The weatherproof housing would the next significant cost in a marine-specific unit.

As others have mentioned, in the right conditions, a tablet makes a good second screen at a reasonable price, but they have limitations.

I use a Samsung 9" tablet at the rear helm with the lowrance link (app) to it via the built-in wifi network. I mounted it up high to a rail with the smaller ram mount and it holds it rock solid and keeps the screen angled down slightly to keep the glare off it. Intalled a dual usb fast charger port which comes in handy for phones as well. I can switch between the lowrance remote control and navionics and spotify and netflix if the fishing is slow. I like that I can remove the ram mount and suction cup it to the table for movies while on trips or even for planning routes on Navionics and booking moorage. Super handy thing to have on board. I paid $450 at Costco a couple years back and it came with a keyboard case which is nice for emailing. You just HAVE TO have charging capabilities close by or the batteries die very quickly while running on full brightness.

I use a Samsung 9" tablet at the rear helm with the lowrance link (app) to it via the built-in wifi network. I mounted it up high to a rail with the smaller ram mount and it holds it rock solid and keeps the screen angled down slightly to keep the glare off it. Intalled a dual usb fast charger port which comes in handy for phones as well. I can switch between the lowrance remote control and navionics and spotify and netflix if the fishing is slow. I like that I can remove the ram mount and suction cup it to the table for movies while on trips or even for planning routes on Navionics and booking moorage. Super handy thing to have on board. I paid $450 at Costco a couple years back and it came with a keyboard case which is nice for emailing. You just HAVE TO have charging capabilities close by or the batteries die very quickly while running on full brightness.
Wifi Network?
What are you using?

HDS 12. It connects to anything, even my phone. And I can control the unit from that device, not just view it. It's awesome.
If you have split screen gps and sounder at the helm, is it possible to have just the sounder showing on your phone/tablet?

Always thought it would be nice to have a sounder screen at the back so when facing the rods you can see it without turning around to the main screen.

If you have split screen gps and sounder at the helm, is it possible to have just the sounder showing on your phone/tablet?

Always thought it would be nice to have a sounder screen at the back so when facing the rods you can see it without turning around to the main screen.
So the feature is called remote control and it matches both. I can't see my front screen from the back so I still like to have both. I have mounted it to the back rails though and went full sonar when I'm fishing areas like the hump and I don't need a chart. At the cap though, I fish with full radar on and the chart is VERY important.

Last edited:
Back