Using Ande For Mainline?

Seafever

I was using Ande 20lb.test for main and it seemed to work pretty good for hookups.

Since I switched to Trilene Big Game 20lb test.....I seem to be losing some of the bigger fish.

Anybody here use Ande?.....how did you like it?

I was buying it at PacNet.

My Trilene doesn't break.......but lately I get a fish about 1/2 way in......and then it's gone (if it's a bigger fish).

Last edited by a moderator:
I used Ande for years it's excellent stuff.

Only switched to Maxima Chameleon Red 25# because it's easier to see and I got an excellent deal-wouldn't hesitate to switch back.

Sounds to me like you have an old batch of that Trilene-that being said downrigging is very hard on line and 20# is too light IMO.

I used 30 lb Ande on one of my reels, very good stuff.
agree with Dogbreath, 20lb is too light for downrigging.
i'm now using triple-fish which is also great so far.

I would suggest 40lb main line or heavier. I would also suggest heavy test for your leaders. It won't affect your success and it'll get more fish in the boat...especially the big ones that are so notorious for getting away. Really, you should never lose a fish to broken line but of course it happens. Wayyyy back we ran 100lb test on a troller using plugs and spoons in the Charlottes and the heavy line didn't impact our hook-up rates...but we lost far fewer fish to broken line.

i also worked on a troller when i was a kid and we used 80-120 for everything-- 40lb on your reels is what you want

I have been using Ande 25 lbs as main line for years, and have had no problems. I purchase it on a large spool that holds 4,000 yards. My last purchase was in 2009 and cost $99.99.

I use 30 lb. big game and don't ever recall breaking fish off unless it was due to an inexperienced angler making a mistake like clamping down on the reel, changing the drag setting so that it was too tight, or getting his knuckles or fingers in the way (ouch!).

h.e.h.

Neither my Ande or my Trilene is breaking...in fact I've never lost a fish to a breaking line.

I was going with 20lb. test because sometimes I'm down 240ft......and with bigger line I get a lot of blowback.

I've been using 20lb test on downriggers since the 70's......and never had a problem.

The actual problem is:-----lately with the Trilene I get a fish halfway in......and then somehow the fish just says bye-bye.....but not from line break. Hoochies and spoons are rigged the same way I always rig 'em...

I was pondering whether the elasticity of the line has something to do with it.

I'm by no means a nooby at landing salmon. And I've used "knucklebusters" all my fishing life.

Which brings me to another question:- anybody here using braid for main?...if so, how's the hookup ratio?

I know you have to search around for a suitable release clip for braid.......that said, I'm wondering if the no-stretch factor makes for a better-holding strike....?

I use power pro 50 for the mainline with a 40 ft mono leader for the release clip. I think I can get on the fish faster when the rigger is deep and I think I get better contact with the fish plus I can release from the clip easier at depth due to no stretch.

I use Power Pro 40# for the mainline and my leader is only about 4 ft. of 40 lb mono. Release clips directly to braid and stays on most of the time (you might have to put it all the way to the black line). A lot less resistence when trolling deep and hook ups are more solid as there is very little stretch. I like the feel of the direct connection to the fish. Certainly for hali, the braid is great because you can easily feel the bottom composition and any nibble.

I have been using Ande 25 lbs as main line for years, and have had no problems. I purchase it on a large spool that holds 4,000 yards. My last purchase was in 2009 and cost $99.99.

That is exactly what I did some years ago. I would fill the reels to capacity and then strip off about 40 or 50 feet before each trip or if I noticed any nicks in the line. Doing this I could get two seasons out of the line without any problem.

The only problem I had was guests who would lock down on the reel handles and break off a fish at the flasher because he refused to let the fish run. Since going from a 9' Shimano Downrigger rod to a 10.5' "Mooching rod", that problem went away.

I also use 60# Triplefish for hoochies and 40# Maxima for Anchovy rigs.

The only problem I had was guests who would lock down on the reel handles and break off a fish at the flasher because he refused to let the fish run. Since going from a 9' Shimano Downrigger rod to a 10.5' "Mooching rod", that problem went away.
For those that are new to salmon fishing, they get to use a level wind on which I have preset the drag and I tell them do not adjust anything - just turn the handle. Works on my boat.

Back