URGENT: Southern Resident Killer Whale Recovery - DFO Online Survey-Deadline March 2nd (Salmon Fishing Area Closures 2022)

they/ WE have the science they have just chosen to ignore it ......

and have told all groups don't bother coming back to the table where not listening ..........

The survey should have an option for "none of the above". I think its pretty ballsy the ways its crafted. Once they issue results they'll be saying,
" PEOPLE HAVE ALL ACCEPTED THAT THE CURRENT RESTRICTIONS ARE REQUIRED". Look the results show it!!! I didn't accept any of the restrictions suggested. I just laid out my comments. Its perhaps the worst survey I have ever completed.

they/ WE have the science they have just chosen to ignore it ......

and have told all groups don't bother coming back to the table where not listening ..........

That's the same as us saying to DFO, we're not listening don't bother coming back
The survey should have an option for "none of the above". I think its pretty ballsy the ways its crafted. Once they issue results they'll be saying,
" PEOPLE HAVE ALL ACCEPTED THAT THE CURRENT RESTRICTIONS ARE REQUIRED". Look the results show it!!! I didn't accept any of the restrictions suggested. I just laid out my comments. Its perhaps the worst survey I have ever completed.

Thank you

I plan to vent to the Minister as well about how this survey was clearly crafted to imply support for a preordained decision. For what it’s worth having an opportunity to go straight to the top doesn’t take much additional effort and who knows,may get results.Sometimes people in upper government positions are isolated from things such as this survey and are simply feed results by their gate keepers, who have their own agendas. I feel it’s important to attack it’s credibility right away and make it impossible if questioned later for the Minister to pretend the Public accepted any of the options.

I write the minister every year , most often I get a lame response from
a ministerial aide. I'd like to think it makes a difference, but??
Yeah me to. Pretty sure they have a garbage can with my name on it. It’s frustrating for sure, but at least it leaves some form of record. I guess you never know though how much info is actually being seen by them and how much is misplaced by the senior folks who feel the criticism might fall on them. I’m sure criticism of the department is vetted by various senior levels to ensure their careers aren’t impacted.
I also info my MP, but Elizabeth May never responds Lol, but that if nothing else ensures the government knows the opposition is reading the same letter. At least I feel like I can call BS if they were ever to say they weren’t aware.

There are boats in the straight now supporting the freedom convoy. Trucks into Victoria and boats into the harbour. Get over your dislike for the convoy and take a page out of their book. Strategy seems pretty sound. If it all works out that POS Trudeau might be gone sooner than later. You know his enviro allies. We are going nowhere with libs in power.

There are boats in the straight now supporting the freedom convoy. Trucks into Victoria and boats into the harbour. Get over your dislike for the convoy and take a page out of their book. Strategy seems pretty sound. If it all works out that POS Trudeau might be gone sooner than later. You know his enviro allies. We are going nowhere with libs in power.

Protest can be effective, but public perception is everything. The message must also be clear.

Look at the convey. It's not about truckers anymore. It is about harming small business and overthrowing government. Also the messages are all over the place. Most of the ones that protested did it and left.

The last thing I would do personally is support the convey or want anything similar. That has to be the absolute dumbest protest I have ever seen. I know several people with business closed down because of this. I am glad you brought it up though. These businesses are now over 3 weeks closed with lost revenue, and two of them may not open again. Why would anyone be proud of that?

So my point is protest yes but we can't be causing financial harm to others to get that point across. The public perception is already very weak with sport fishing. The public loves whales, and it will be hard to convince them otherwise.

Last edited:
No supporting the truckers convoy and no need to compare apples to oranges. Need to plan a clear protest in the shape of the public disobedience focusing the key messages on the lack of scientific approach by DFO in managing the fisheries. The moment we talk about our “right to harvest our fish” we lose the general public’s support. Need to learn how to use some of Suzuki’s tactics in building a story that the public can relate to. Again, the truckers convoy is just an example in this context. Let’s not distract ourselves further than what we already are.

Seems like a good time for another protest of come kind. Need to make the news though. It's got to be about human rights, economic health along side the fishing part. I would say this whole country is unhappy with our liberal government. Trudeau needs to go.

Seems like a good time for another protest of come kind. Need to make the news though. It's got to be about human rights, economic health along side the fishing part. I would say this whole country is unhappy with our liberal government. Trudeau needs to go.
There has to be an element of support for reconciliation and first nations rights. The non fishing/hunting community needs to understand that what's wrong here is that the government is playing god with access to OUR resources. Purposely causing a rift instead of uniting Canadians. This is a disgusting trend in government that needs to stop NOW.

There has to be an element of support for reconciliation and first nations rights. The non fishing/hunting community needs to understand that what's wrong here is that the government is playing god with access to OUR resources. Purposely causing a rift instead of uniting Canadians. This is a disgusting trend in government that needs to stop NOW.

100 percent. Food fishing, commercial and sport. Combined is a huge economic, way of life for generations, Coastal cities life support, marine industry. It's a long list. We should be uniting and not dividing. Manage our resources to sustain all of the above.

What if every boat in the lower mainland went out in English bay and fired off air horns until the news heli showed up? Everyone go by a dozen air horns and ear plugs

Sorry if a naive question, but why have I not read a word here about seals? I am a very casual recreational fisher, and just go out to get a little fresh fish to eat while we are cruising our beautiful coast. It was always my understanding that seals eat salmon…..lots and LOTS of salmon. Certainly off the end of my line more than once. I’ve always thought seals represent a much greater threat to salmon populations than I could possibly be. But if that is so, why is there not a greater outcry about seals….especially here where you guys are presumably seeing it happen every day? Thanks for any help understanding.

Sorry if a naive question, but why have I not read a word here about seals? I am a very casual recreational fisher, and just go out to get a little fresh fish to eat while we are cruising our beautiful coast. It was always my understanding that seals eat salmon…..lots and LOTS of salmon. Certainly off the end of my line more than once. I’ve always thought seals represent a much greater threat to salmon populations than I could possibly be. But if that is so, why is there not a greater outcry about seals….especially here where you guys are presumably seeing it happen every day? Thanks for any help understanding.
We have talked about this til we are blue in the face but sadly any mention of a cull gets the NGO's and Granola eaters into a seal hugging frenzy with lots of pictures of big eyed seal pups. You are spot on by the way--major problem

... why is there not a greater outcry about seals….especially here where you guys are presumably seeing it happen every day? Thanks for any help understanding.

Because the current government is absolutely scared poopless about the potential of backlash.
We have been diligently working on this exact matter for years.
Our IFMP was personally delivered to DFO 4 years ago.
They have since put up as many BS roadblocks as they possibly can.

The science is in.
They need to be knocked back in serious numbers.
Especially this year when the floods took out so much of the spawn, and the few that do head to sea are facing an immense wall of jaws.
The potential to actually wipe out this year class exists, and in fact is a nearly certain outcome.

And DFO sits on their collective asses, once again proving that job security is far more important than the resource they are mandated to support.

Ticked,
Nog

filled out the survey voicing my displeasure with the current and proposed salmon closures. My mains points were:
-**** poor communication by DFO on why and how these various closures were established
-these closures have hurt me socially / culturally as my fishing opportunities are a fraction of what they were
-I spend much less money into the coastal economies as a result of these restrictions
-The SRKW 'critical habitat' zones are based on irrelevant data (2009-2018). SRKW foraging behaviour has changed drastically in past 5 years from what it used to be and using this old data skews what is actually happening. Relying on people (for instance on Pender bluffs) who don't want to see fishing boats and are supplying DFO with SRWK sighting info is a conflict of interest.

Last edited:
Filled out the survey (best I could) and was on both of the calls. I have been a part of a provincial bureaucracy and recognise the process being used. Feedback allowance is required by gov., however, the decision is (almost always) already been made (just like 1st nations and trans mountain). The process is so that they can say they 'consulted'. The people representing gov. from DFO (Kendra) and the other guy from Transport Canada are only 'bank tellers' in spite of their technical credentials; they don't make (or probably even influence) decisions. What I commented in the survey on mostly, is how the SRKW threats stack up in terms of percentage effects, so we can see what mitigation methods actually do anything. I have a science background, so would like to see their science, all of it, concerning weighted SRKW threats (and commented in the survey about that). I don't however have time for a complete lit. search. Don't lose sight of the fact that the feds know that some science suggests that SRKW will be wiped out from the increased tanker traffic from trans mountain, so they need to be seen to be doing everything they can to protect them and we sports fishers are easy prey.

Back