Truck and campers

Not only the roadside inspections I would worry about, when I talked to a guy at the scales (weighing my truck for my own benefit) he told me that if I were to get in an accident and be over the rated GVWR it would have implications on my insurance.

That's why my father in law goes with a dually, more to do with insurance than being in compliance with the inspections. He's got a heavy Bigfoot though and runs a F350 diesel and was wondering if he still has a GVW compliance issue.

That's why my father in law goes with a dually, more to do with insurance than being in compliance with the inspections. He's got a heavy Bigfoot though and runs a F350 diesel and was wondering if he still has a GVW compliance issue.
I think the only way to be sure is to weigh it, don't use the Hwy scales when manned if you think you're even close . My old 3/4 ton put me over with its saddle tanks, standard at the time on a camper special.I found that kind of ironic.

Diesel owners feeling a teeny bit cheated? All those glossy ads in mags touting the latest greatest heavy duty diesel trucks but the towing and GVW claims always have an asterisk (* applies to gas engine version only). Great towing power/torque and fuel mileage but the sales guys rarely remember to mention the extra weight and its effect on the legalities. Or the $125 oil changes. I had a good look at diesel last time I was buying a truck and decided not for me.

I don't know what sales guys you talk to, but most who know their stuff know that they need to get you all the info.... if not it can bite them in the butt!

These days, most truck leases I do, the people/company are concerned more about the towing capacity! Way more trailers and fifth wheels sold than campers.... people want more space!

Also, most dealers have acces to auto book which when you "build" a truck to the customer specs, it shows you weights, dry, loaded etc., it tells you the weight of the vehicle with your specs!

Diesel oil changes are more, but with close to twice the oil in the sump, I figure you can go longer between oil changes! I wouldn't change my duramax for any other engine, gas or diesel. I haul a camper at times, my boat and the odd time the fith wheel comes along for a drive.... I like the power and fuel economy of a diesel...... period!

Mike

Need to do a LOT of km before you get the upfront cost of the diesel engine and its maintenance back though. It's right for some, not for others. I do 13,000-15,000 km annually and my towing is short trips to the local ramps. Most of that extra $10K the diesel would have cost me is still in my pocket.

Need to do a LOT of km before you get the upfront cost of the diesel engine and its maintenance back though. It's right for some, not for others. I do 13,000-15,000 km annually and my towing is short trips to the local ramps. Most of that extra $10K the diesel would have cost me is still in my pocket.

that is a good point that is overlooked by many...

Some sales men will say whatever they need to sell a vehicle (sleazy) I pulled into a Dodge dealer 4 years ago with my camper on my Chev Silverado 2500 H/D with a gas engine. Sales person comes out and goes "you need to buy a Dodge, your truck is overloaded" I had been over the scales and was just at the GVW rating....100 pounds to spare. I let the sales guy select the truck he wanted to sell me. 3500 Dodge Quadcab Diesel 4x4. He gave me his bs storey saying THIS is what I needed..SO we took it for a roadtest, stopped on the scales...I then pulled out the numbers and told the sales person " So I guess if my Chev is overload then you F'EN Dodge is WAAAYY overloaded because the payload on the Dodge was 952 pounds less than my 3/4 ton Chev. I brought him back to the lot and went and bought my Silverado 3500 Dually Diesel. And I am within the GVW as long as I dont get carried away

MORAL OF THE STOREY...make sure you know your numbers because the salesman may be after his COMMISION CHEQUE, and half of them dont know the honest facts.

as for the part or recouping the cost on a Diesel. I dont think it will happen anymore as they cost more on initial purchase, service costs double, and Diesel fuel is approx 10 + cents more per liter....

However you cant beat the tow power of a diesel

Last edited by a moderator:
Love my diesel; I will never buy a 2 wheel drive truck.
With a fully loaded camper and towing a boat I still have room for 1400lbs
If you want gas and 2 wheel drive, buy a 22' motor home. Lots more room than a camper.
IMGP0354email.jpg

I have a 1 ton oil burner, If my boat comes with on long trips I know it will exceed my GVW, fully loaded

Thems the rules & that weight by law is too much for my rig, but my ride pulls the load with low EGT's with ease. braking is a different story, my automatic is not reliable in an jake brake upgrade so I butter the down grades

I have looked on raising my GVW's, but that puts me in the commercial class. higher rate & subjected to a yearly inspection, not conducive for the 3-5 times I run her camper (FG 1700lbs dry) & boat (28ft 13K)
So when I do ride it is late night when traffic is @ a min.............beware of the night rider;)

A friend of mine is a sales guy at a dealership in AB. He says he tries not to deliberately push diesels on guys, but is amazed how many just want it no matter what. He calls it "heavy duty syndrome". Figures more than half of the diesels that drive off the lot don't come close to needing that powerplant.

I think a similar thing is going on at the other end of the spectrum: hybrids. Like diesel, they incur close to $10K upcharge. Once again, how many million km do you need to drive to get that back in fuel savings? And just as you're possibly getting to the payback point, hey presto, time for new batteries at $3000-5000. And along the way all servicing done at dealership only. Savings? Really? If you're using it as a cab, maybe.

Back