Trophy underwater this morning

Sushihunter sized guys just shouldn't be going to the back corners of small boats with scuppers ....lol ( sorry Jim, just couldn't resist)

Boats, or rather the smaller boats 20 feet or so and under, dont seem to be designed for our type of use.
Kicker and bracket add 110 - 140 pounds, a couple of downriggers, another 30 - 40. Second battery, ?.
All hanging off the stern.
Anybody ever asked a boat mfg about the effect of this extra weight on their design?
Kickers etc. seem to be a BC, Northwestern US, add-on.
Seldom seen back east where they design the boats.

Get yourself a $249 2" water pump, tie the starboard corner to something tight, and ler 'er rip. She'll float back up. For the sunken Trophy that is, not the the leakikng scuppers. That 20 footer will be just fine, drop the screws out of the float bowls in the carbs, pul the plugs, crank the engine a couple of times to clear the cylinders, and run some 20:1 through it for half an hour to flash the rest of the moisture off.

Need a lift bag on the starbord corner or all you will be doing is sucking ocean.

beemer

www.C-TowVictoria.ca

demco99 if you mounted the downriggers your self you would have seen if there was foam core.Whalers have a foam corethrough out the hull and if these areas are drilled into there is a specific way of drilling and sealing the hull to protect the core. DYI magazine has covered this and you should be able to find the article online and download it.
The best way to check for water logging is to weigh the boat and subtract the weight of all additional equipment and gas and see if your boat is close to stock weight.
I am not an expert on this and some one here should have a more experienced opinion on this.
Hey gunsmith are you referring to here I mounted the Downriggers on the gunnel? Because I'm almost positive there is just glass cOming in that they are mounted on. Are the gunnels usually foam filled on whalers? How can I check if my foamcore is waterlogged?

My scuppers are near the water line but still above it and I've never had water into the cockpit with the rubber flapper style. The one thing I did notice on my boat is how it was plumbed in. Exactly how you would plumb in a sink drain.....just a small bend in the flex hose and it makes a make shift P-Trap. It seems to work well and adds that extra check in the system for any backfeed. It might not fix the problem with all set ups but worth checking out in my opinion?

I have the same issue with my 21 foot Trophy. Trophy,s have a couple issues. The fish boxes always taking on water as they are not sealed and the scupper problems. I did try the ping ball type and they suck. Every thing gets stuck inside, leaves, kelp, small sticks and then they stop working. Best result I found was to replace my scuppers every year and seems to mostly work, and have also replaced twice in a year. For under $10 for a pair you cannot go wrong. I thought about plugging them but decided against it for my safety. The only solution I found is to fill the holes and install new scuppers a few inches above. Due to the cost, I will keep replacing the flapper scuppers.

/fishon

I thought about plugging them but decided against it for my safety.
/fishon

I'm curious - why do you consider plugging the scuppers a safety issue?

I would think that having them there would be more dangerous as they can leak water into your boat.

Assuming that your deck drains into your bilge and you have working bilge pumps, I don't see the problem. However, with scuppers, once you get some water into the boat, the scuppers get below the waterline, you will only accelerate the sinking of the boat. Better that you would have to wait until the stern goes under before sinking.

The way I see it, scuppers are just two extra holes in your hull to allow water in. At the very least, they should have shut-off valves installed on them.

Need a lift bag on the starbord corner or all you will be doing is sucking ocean.

beemer

www.C-TowVictoria.ca

They just put a couple of guys on the bow, had two pumps going in the stern got it floated up and hauled out pretty quick - Good thing it happened moored in the marina.

I'm curious - why do you consider plugging the scuppers a safety issue?

I would think that having them there would be more dangerous as they can leak water into your boat.

Assuming that your deck drains into your bilge and you have working bilge pumps, I don't see the problem. However, with scuppers, once you get some water into the boat, the scuppers get below the waterline, you will only accelerate the sinking of the boat. Better that you would have to wait until the stern goes under before sinking.

The way I see it, scuppers are just two extra holes in your hull to allow water in. At the very least, they should have shut-off valves installed on them.

x2 .....Sometimes Jim , I realize you make alot odf sense !

Peahead,
did you see it come up, curious if it was indeed a scupper issue,
I am seriously considering eliminating mine, damn things have me feeling a little paranoid now as I'm an hour away from my boat,
I'm bringing it home in another couple weeks to clean it up some and also having new tops and drop curtains made, might just have them removed as well.
I'd like to hear some more opinions on this firdt tho
thanks Tim

No, I was out fishing when they delt with it but I talked to the marina and another fellow that was there- they said it was scupper clog. I am assuming the stern weight was too much there was no bilge pump but will confirm. I will talk to the guys and the boat owner soon and let you know all the details.

Is that not Jim's boat right next to the Trophy? If so....It's also seen better days.

And Dereks Southern Cross, next to his.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is that not Jim's boat right next to the Trophy? If so....It's also seen better days.

And Dereks Southern Cross, next to his.

Yep that is Jim's boat Reel Extreme and Derek's biege Bayliner , Southern Cross, in the background.
FA , did you know Jim's boat used to be called "Fish Assassin" but he changed it partly because when Tom Thompson used to do local fish reports on CKNW radio and Jim gave him reports, Tom apparently refused to say Jim's boat name on the radio !!!!

The Kara J is back afloat and in her moorage now . I assume the motor was dried out and run. The kicker I think stayed above water. The problem was confirmed as clogged scuppers and the rubber flap ( not ping pong style) was not functioning properly. The boat seems to sit very low to stern .....in fact I took a closer look today and the scuppers ,despite being cleaned/fixed , are about half below the water line !

Being curious , I walked around the docks looking for self bailing boats and checked several scupper positions. Not only were there several 20-22 boats with scuppers about 1-2" off the water line( with no people on board too) but even a 208 Grady White adventure with 175 hp and no kicker had scuppers way too close to water line in my opinion.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have what I think is the same boat. They all seem to sit low in the stearn. The scuppers are an issue, but nice when you need to drain the decks after washing down or taking a wave. The problem is compounded by the fish boxes. unless the plugs are removed and the lines disconnected to the well pump, the extra weight is enough to ruin your day. Since disconnecting the T fitting that channels the water from the boxes to the macerator pump so that it drains into the bilge, problem solved. I don't like the salt water in the bilge like Charlie was saying, but i rinse it out and has been OK. I guess if I had spent another 20k I could have got a better designed boat, but it is mine and it catches fish and pulls a tube.

Bilge with an aotomatic switch would have helped as well my scuppers sit above the water barely but have 2 bilges on with the switch low and one high both 1500 gph as its a cheap investment to be safe than sorry imagine how much it cost him to do all that stuff to get it afloat..... bet you more heartache and money than back up bilges... there called "BAILINERS" for a reason.....LOL
still really sucks feel sorry for the guy..

Wolf

Did you hear about this year's Bayliner?Comes with a glass bottom!

Why a glass bottom?

So you can see last year's model!

Gues I should have just said that I found DB's post very funny.

Holmes, You understand now?

WOW.....Didn't think I would have to explain that.

Back