Trio rescued after boat sinks off West Coast

Status
Not open for further replies.

juandesooka

Apologies if already posted somewhere.

Scary story, great they got back safely...sure sounds like that boat went down quickly... [:0]

http://www.bclocalnews.com/vancouver_island_north/campbellrivermirror/news/50160337.html

Trio rescued after boat sinks off West Coast

Wayne Vincent of Kyuquot (left) stands alongside Campbell River couple Terry Honig and Brian Hiebert at a celebration of life ceremony after they were rescued Saturday following the sinking of their fishing boat.
Buy Campbell River Mirror Photos Online
Email Print Letter to Editor Share
others also read...
Campbell River Mirror

* Bone up on boating safety at open house
* Quinsam Coal dominates mine rescue competition
* Mountainaire Avian Rescue reflects back on the past year of work at AGM May 31
* CYMC goes back to the classics after one-year hiatus

Vancouver Island North

* Jazz trio at restaurant
* Brass to the rescue
* Coast Realty on ferries
* Clarion Trio plays top secret gig

Text
By Paul Rudan - Campbell River Mirror

Published: July 07, 2009 3:00 PM

0 Comments

A local couple are counting their blessings after surviving the “Crazy Hole†during a West Coast fishing expedition that went terribly wrong.

“It was crazy...we were in the water for 15 minutes, but if felt like 15 hours,†says Terry Honig.

Honig, 48, and her partner Brian Hiebert, 38, were in Kyuquot on Saturday, and were heading offshore to go deep-sea halibut fishing at a location known as the Crazy Hole. Joining them was a local fishing guide, Wayne Vincent, who travelled aboard their 23-foot boat, Island Lure.

Also tagging along, in a separate boat, were three men from the Lower Mainland, Don Pollard, Sean Trann and Randy Per, who were splitting the cost of hiring the guide. The group had set off at 5:15 a.m. and it took about an hour to reach the fishing grounds approximately eight kilometres offshore.

Honig says conditions were a little rough, but the weather was expected to improve. However, things became worse when the wind and waves began to pick up.

Water began lapping over the back of the boat and that’s when the group decided to motor to calmer waters. However, the automatic and manual bilge pumps on the Island Lure couldn’t keep up to drain the sea water and that caused the engine to quit.

As the water poured into the engine compartment, the fish holds began to float while the boat began to sink. They radioed the other boaters to come and help, and also attempted to contact Coast Guard in Tofino to alert them to their position.

But in a matter of minutes, the boat filled with water. Honig jumped overboard and inflated her lifejacket while Hiebert and Vincent entered the cold water seconds later, just as the boat flipped over.

“Brian (Hiebert) grabbed my lifejacket and we were just floating there. We were trying to find Wayne (Vincent) who was on the other side of the boat when it went down,†Honig recalls. “We were trying to see the other boat, but the waves were so high. I was getting swamped with water and was choking and crying. It was so cold – I have never been so cold. I thought I was going to die.â€

But Hiebert remained calm and reassured Honig they were going to be okay. By this time the other boat was heading to their rescue, but the men onboard couldn’t see the trio in the water as the waves were three to four metres high.

Finally, they saw a red buoy from one of the prawn traps and then located the three. However, it wasn’t easy getting them onboard as they had to cut the engine – to prevent them from being injured – and the waves made for a difficult rescue.

Details of the actual rescue are hazy for Honig who was in shock and suffering from hypothermia. But the three were pulled on board the other 23-foot vessel, where they were stripped of their wet clothing and wrapped in blankets in the V-berth.

“I was scared...we were all scared,†says Honig.

It took more than an hour to get back to the dock, but the water had calmed down a bit by then, according to Pollard who sent an e-mail to Honig on Monday night.

“It is a blur as it all happened so fast, but believe somehow from the time we picked up our gear and ran over to your boat the weather and waves came down – someone was watching over you!†he wrote.

It took several hours for Honig, Hiebert and Vincent to warm up, but none of them suffered any physical injuries. But the mental trauma was tough on Honig.

That improved the following day when the Kyuquot First Nation held a celebration of life ceremony for the trio.

“I thought they might be mad at us for taking out Wayne, but they were grateful for his safe return,†says Honig. “Every year they lose someone out there...the celebration of life ceremony was a huge ceremony and a happy one.â€

Honig says she will be forever grateful to her rescuers and to the people of Kyuquot. She’s also learned some lessons.

They will never venture far offshore again to go fishing without going with another group of boaters and they will keep their emergency flares in a more accessible location. All of them were wearing lifejackets when the trouble began.

“We love to fish and it’s not unusual to go five or even 15 miles or more offshore,†she says, “but anything can happen out there and if you’re alone, you don’t have much a chance.â€

Honig is happy to be back home with her family. Their boat is now at the bottom of the Pacific Ocean along with everything on board – in fact the only thing they have is a package of fishing hooks they left at home.

She says they will buy a new boat and will continue to pursue a pastime they love...fishing.

As she continued to ride the “emotional waves†on Monday, the phone rang as family and friends called to express their love and care for the couple.

“I think I’ll be in church on Sunday too,†says Honig to a friend.

http://fishingportrenfrew.ca
http://fishingsooke.ca

Very moving story, Thanks for posting!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
freshwaterlagoonnuquicw3.jpg

Yet another reason to stay away from I/O. They should problably buy a Boston Whaler next time. They could have just bailed her out and went fishing the next day. In fact it baffels me why someone would buy anything but a Boston Whaler, sure they cost a little more, but they don't friggin sink!!!!

im09.jpg

Take only what you need.
3641877346_d9919f98d0.jpg

quote:Originally posted by The Fish Assassin

Yet another reason to stay away from I/O. They should problably buy a Boston Whaler next time. They could have just bailed her out and went fishing the next day. In fact it baffels me why someone would buy anything but a Boston Whaler, sure they cost a little more, but they don't friggin sink!!!!

im09.jpg

Take only what you need.

It may come as a surprise , but not everyone wants or can afford a boston whaler...it's not the only ocean worthy boat made.

It can happen, in any boat ... and very quickly.
Just glad they had a buddy boat along.

The one time I went in the water many years ago the boat that pulled us out still had it's gear in the water. They saw our little tinny turn turtle and they just went from trolling speed to planing without bothering about the lines. Still grateful to them, the minutes saved by leaving the gear out probably wouldn't have mattered, but you never know.

Sign me still here, and still cautious.

I was just over there and know the area well. I don't mind running outside with just one boat when the weather is 'good', but it can get very rough out there. You think that you just have to battle yourself through the surfline and it will be okay outside with just 'swells' and not 'cresting/breaking' waves. When the waves are breaking they come in a wide variety of sizes (around Kyuquot specifically) and it can be pretty easy to get the boat swamped over the transom.

There were 2 mornings I was trying to get outside and very smartly turned back...I could see that even outside the surfline it was not just rolling swells but weather that plain and simple would not be worth the risk in heading out. Fish are fish....I love to catch them but I also want to be able to go out and fish them again.

As Time said....it can happen so quickly out there. Whenever I am out there I am amazed at the power of the ocean.

Glad to hear the story had a happy ending.;)

quote:Originally posted by r.s craven

It may come as a surprise , but not everyone wants or can afford a boston whaler...it's not the only ocean worthy boat made.
I am a little familiar with Whalers! :)
It is probably the best and most sea worthy boat, I have ever owned. I know for a fact, it will handle 30 foot seas, a lot better than me! They will not sink since they are built under "The Level Floatation Standard", as is most other boats under 20 feet in length!</u>

"Level Flotation will not make your boat right itself if it overturns, but it reduces the probability that your boat will capsize. If it does capsize, one or two people should be able to right it. If you are unable to right the boat, you and your passengers can still get out of the water and sit on the bottom of the overturned boat."

But guess what… THEY ALL</u> WILL "FRIGGIN" CAPSIZE! You need to keep that in mind. Sitting waist high in water or on the bottom of a Whaler is just as bad as any other boat built under the level floatation standard and there are a lot of them built that way. [:0]

"the waves were three to four metres high". It doesn't say if those were swells or seas? But, I would think twice before turning my "Whaler's" stern in 12-15 foot seas! And would NOT allow it to take water over the stern, even knowing it was "unsinkable"! :(

Glad to hear the story had a happy ending, too! :)

quote:the waves were three to four metres high". It doesn't say if those were swells or seas? But, I would think twice before turning my "Whaler's" stern in 12-15 foot seas! And would NOT allow it to take water over the stern, even knowing it was "unsinkable"!

Agreed, I wouldn't put my boat in that position either. I've been out when a friggin hurricane came through, fishing out at cree, I asked my guests if they wanted to run for shelter in the Broken Group or risk our lives and try to get back to Bamfield. They choose the later, and holly shi+ I was praying over every wave. 40-50 ft'rs with a huge butt roll on top. But I kept the bow angled just right and we made it home. I would never give my guests that option again, I would just hide till it was safe. One thing about the Boston Whalers though, if you do take water over the stern, all you need to do is punch it and it will all drain right out!

quote:They will not sink since they are built under "The Level Floatation Standard", as is most other boats under 20 feet in length!

Sure, but the difference is that the exclusive Unibond construction process is legendary. If any other boat has floatation in it, it is because Boston Whaler introduced it.

Still glad to see everyone is ok, lesson learned.

Take only what you need.

quote:the waves were three to four metres high". It doesn't say if those were swells or seas? But, I would think twice before turning my "Whaler's" stern in 12-15 foot seas! And would NOT allow it to take water over the stern, even knowing it was "unsinkable"!

Just cannot leave this one alone[:p]

Agreed, I wouldn't put my boat in that position either. I've been out when a friggin hurricane came through, fishing out at cree, I asked my guests if they wanted to run for shelter in the Broken Group or risk our lives and try to get back to Bamfield.

I just cannot believe that you were out at Cree in a hurricane. I guess all the weather reports meant nothing to you and you would endanger yourself, your guests and the CCG just to catch a fish. You are simply amazing FA!!!

They choose the later, and holly shi+ I was praying over every wave. 40-50 ft'rs with a huge butt roll on top. But I kept the bow angled just right and we made it home.

As captain and guide, I cannot see anyone allowing the guests to make those decisions. And 50 ft'rs????? Wow!!!!! Again simply amazing FA, I bow down to you.:D

I would never give my guests that option again, I would just hide till it was safe. One thing about the Boston Whalers though, if you do take water over the stern, all you need to do is punch it and it will all drain right out!

quote:They will not sink since they are built under "The Level Floatation Standard", as is most other boats under 20 feet in length!

Sure, but the difference is that the exclusive Unibond construction process is legendary. If any other boat has floatation in it, it is because Boston Whaler introduced it.

Take only what you need.

Cheers

SS

Fishing08018-1.jpg

quote:Originally posted by Sitkaspruce

Just cannot leave this one alone[:p]

Agreed, I wouldn't put my boat in that position either. I've been out when a friggin hurricane came through, fishing out at cree, I asked my guests if they wanted to run for shelter in the Broken Group or risk our lives and try to get back to Bamfield.

I just cannot believe that you were out at Cree in a hurricane. I guess all the weather reports meant nothing to you and you would endanger yourself, your guests and the CCG just to catch a fish. You are simply amazing FA!!!

They choose the later, and holly shi+ I was praying over every wave. 40-50 ft'rs with a huge butt roll on top. But I kept the bow angled just right and we made it home.

As captain and guide, I cannot see anyone allowing the guests to make those decisions. And 50 ft'rs????? Wow!!!!! Again simply amazing FA, I bow down to you.:D

I would never give my guests that option again, I would just hide till it was safe. One thing about the Boston Whalers though, if you do take water over the stern, all you need to do is punch it and it will all drain right out!

Take only what you need.

Cheers

SS

X2

quote:"I asked my guests if they wanted to run for shelter in the Broken Group or risk our lives and try to get back to Bamfield. They choose the later, and holly shi+ I was praying over every wave. 40-50 ft'rs with a huge butt roll on top…"
ARE YOU KIDDING ME? WHAT ARE YOU</u> THINKING? Do I listen to others… you bet, but the final decision is mine…, and only MINE? WHAT THE H*LL ARE YOU THINKING?

My credentials? Been fishing WCVI since 1991, running up the WCVI since 1996. Caught out in unforecasted weather... several times. Cape Beal, Estevan, and Brooks. I watch them very close! Beal, 20 foot rollers piece of cake, 15 footers are the norm. Estevan, unforecasted 60-70 knot winds… 50–60 foot seas. Hmmm... that one still concerns me? On a "good" day you will have 15 footers... And, I AM… The "Big boat", that turned around that day in 2004 at Nootka</u>"... Yep, that was ME and they were 50 footers... and to this day, I am VERY glad I made the decission </u> to turn around! Brooks, "piece of cake" on a "GOOD" day? But, if it isn't a "good" day, watch out! Yea, you can tell I really LOVE those three?

But, YOU ARE LETTING YOUR GUESTS DECIDE?</u>... And for you to say YOU knew this... and still let YOUR "GUESTS" decide? [V]

quote:I just cannot believe that you were out at Cree in a hurricane. I guess all the weather reports meant nothing to you and you would endanger yourself, your guests and the CCG just to catch a fish. You are simply amazing FA!!!

What weather reports!!!??? I was working for the Bamfeild INN the only reports we got where from Moose!!! All they gave us guides was a compass. It seemed like a nice sunny day when we left. It was in Early June. I felt confident either way, that's why I left it up to them. Sure was nice to get behind folger though. The guy I had out owned a Resort in Costa Rica and we became very very good freinds. He used to come back every year unannounced and I would have to find someone to cover my Charters so that I could go out with him. Think what you want about it, but I'm still hear to tell the tale!!! I've only been out in two other hurricanes, one time I just wanted to see how the old glasply would handle it. I made it as far out as whittlestone before I turned back. I made the turn on 1 wave, cause thats the only way you would have made it! The other Hurricane I was in wasn't too exciteing. We (me and my old boss Bob Watson) where fishing on the lea side of Diplock all morning. Never even noticed that it was blowing up too much. Then around 11 we decided to head for Bamfield. The wind was coming off the land , like coming strait down Bamfield Harbor. I've heard of the Sea being blown flat, but that was the first time I experienced it. Other than the heavy rain we were making about 10 mph into it, but It felt like the boat was doing 100. You could see the black lines of the gusts coming from far away because it was almost calm. but when they hit the whole boat shook like mad. The only problem we encountered during that was one of the stronger gusts ripped the windshield wiper right off as it was doing its thing, I remember watching it, as it flew a couple hundred feet back before landing in the water.

Take only what you need.

quote: In fact it baffels me why someone would buy anything but a Boston Whaler, sure they cost a little more, but they don't friggin sink!!!!

OK, they don't sink - but they WILL flip over and throw your butt into the water.

I know, because that same day (July 4th) I pulled two wet and cold guys off of their over-turned 18.5' Boston Whaler copy (mould made from a real Boston Whaler).

rescue-01.jpg

Same guy from the first photo, an hour later - Why is he and his buddy now on MY boat???
rescue-03.jpg

Good boats, but anyone can get into trouble out there, and the sea is very unforgiving.

Jim's Fishing Charters
www.JimsFishing.com
http://ca.youtube.com/user/Sushihunter250

Its a fake no matter how you slice it. I ran lots of fake Boston Whalers before I got real ones. And they are not the same boats, they might look like a Boston Whaler, but thats as far as the similarities go. That's why theres a $10,000 difference in the price.

Take only what you need.

Neat story about a derelict Boston Whaler that drifted for more than 900 days as it crossed the Atlantic Ocean.

927 days- Drift of a Derelict Across the North Atlantic Ocean

Land's End where England juts westward into the North Atlantic Ocean. On Thursday, June 5, 2003, two merchant ships report a capsized skiff. By 0930 hours, rescuers launch a lifeboat from Sennen Cove. It's a false alarm--a small white vessel eight miles southwest of Land's End. Massive colonies of gooseneck barnacles echo a lengthy sea drift.

To avert further alarms, the search and rescue party towed the fiberglass craft to shore. Next week, Cornwall's playwright-beachcomber Nick Darke alerted me. Thus began my investigation of the second longest drift of a derelict (a vessel abandoned at sea) on the North Atlantic!

Braving the stench of moldering barnacles, Terry George could barely decipher TENDER TO LE GRAND BLEU on the port side of the skiff. Despite missing most of its starboard side which would have sunk most vessels, plastic foam sandwiched between its inner and outer plastic hulls kept the boat afloat. Armed with Terry's photos, the tender's origin emerged from a flurry of worldwide email.

Ed Perry, a park ranger at the McLarty Museum devoted to Spanish Galleons wrecked along eastern Florida, immediately forwarded my query to Dr. Blair Witherington, Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission and Florida Marine Research Institute: "The boat has the gestalt of a Boston Whaler (BW)." Blair's insight sent me internet surfing for the legendary builder of unsinkable boats. Jim Hebert suggested BW's Chuck Bennett: "Given the 12-digit Hull Identification Number, I could find the original owner in BW's data bank. This number is located on the outer transom towards the starboard side."

"Found it - USBWCAM541 H900!," Terry emailed. From the ID, Chuck directed me to Targa Yachten, BW's dealer in Hamburg, Germany. "We sold it in March 2000 as a tender for the Motor Yacht Le Grand Bleu (LGB) launched in Bremen, Germany," replied John Argenton. "During summer 2000, LGB cruised to the Mediterranean Sea. In November 2000, on a voyage to New York, heavy seas washed the tender overboard into the mid-Atlantic."

From Terry's photos, John deduced that "Somebody found the tender before stranding, cut the fuel hose and removed the engine, center console and bench seat. The original Yamaha F100 four-stroke engine weighs about 361 pounds. If it came loose and dangled for a time, there should be some damage at the stern, but I see none around the engine bolt holes or on top of the engine well."

At 354 feet long, Le Grand Bleu is one of the world's ten largest yachts. Accouterments include an aquarium, a 72-foot sailing yacht and a 68-foot power launch. The 18-foot Dauntless rested on the foredeck ready to assist. After the Atlantic storm, Le Grand Bleu steamed to New York leaving Dauntless adrift on her epic voyage. Her odyssey ended in England while Le Grand Bleu cruised in the Indian and Pacific oceans.

My experience with similar-sized transoceanic derelicts suggests Dauntless drifted roughly ten miles a day. At this pace, the tender wandered more than 9,000 miles! "An intrepid little tender," quipped Diane Byrne, Power & Motoryacht magazine, "with a serious case of wanderlust."

The drift of the Dauntless is the second longest in North Atlantic history. Phil Richardson, Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution, previously summarized historic derelicts on the North Atlantic. During the late-1800s, storms and accidents disabled hundreds. So many in fact, that to prevent collisions, the U.S. Revenue Cutter Service routinely hunted and sank abandoned sailing vessels. Phil discovered six which stayed afloat longer than a year and one longer than 900 days--the schooner Fanny Wolston completed a circuit 'round the North Atlantic gyre in 1,100 days.

Jim Boos, owners' representative onboard, looked up the tender's loss in LGB's logbook. On November 20, 2000, in position 37.4° N, 60.1° W Le Grand Bleu encountered Force 8-9 weather. Four hundred miles northeast of Bermuda, gales and high waves swept the Dauntless into the Bermuda Triangle. Dealing with a special drift spurred me to further investigate.

Given the initial latitude and longitude, charts of mean ocean currents for fall as well as trajectories of Gulf Stream rings from that area indicate that the tender may have looped southwest toward Florida. The mean transit for messages in bottles from Florida to England is 14 months leaving 16 months for Dauntless to meander about the Sargasso Sea. Trajectories of historic derelicts also suggest she might have zig-zagged eastward to the Azores.

Where and when did the salvers strip the tender? Early in the odyssey, I'd guess. Within months, marine conditions would have rendered the engine worthless. Furthermore, if it hung very long from the stern, waves would have wrenched the engine mountings. As the storm tossed the tender overboard from LGB, I suspect violent lurching snapped off the tender's side. Salvers, finding her gravely damaged, claimed all of value.

Weather charts and sea surface temperature maps may help ascertain Dauntless' drift. With substantial windage, however, the skiff traveled faster than surface water. Furthermore, the windage changed over time given the barnacle growth and removal of the engine. With so many assumptions necessary for an accurate drift reconstruction, I suspended my research.

Dauntless returned me to childhood when my mother read aloud The Little Engine That Could. The little tender that could...and did
!

1-5jun_1-600x450.jpeg

6-10jun_4-600x400.jpeg

Unreal how long these will float for when capsized.

Take only what you need.

hey FA
I remember that story from a Robert Warren a few years ago that ripped me off and only delivered one chord of wood after I paid for two sounds very familiar, that Robert Warren has never come back using that name since he ripped me off, funny he had the same story about cree and his guest and was a boston whaler fanatic. where do you live FA Nanoose. that Robert warren posted his wood ad on this forum and ripped me off, sounds like you guys both have the same story.

quote:Originally posted by Robert Warren

Guiding out of the Bamfeild Inn, I was in a 17' Whaler "Type" boat. They had just gotten three new ones they had padded seats and were the luxury model. But the cheap asses used the same little 30hp engines on them they had for the boats about 1000 pounds lighter. I had fished out of it for about a week and other than having to go a half mile before achieving plane I was feeling confident with it. I had new guests come in one evening in July, The fishing in the sound was slow to say the least and any action we might have was over at cree. We loaded up and headed out. We got over there about 4:30pm and started fishing, we had gotten 2 coho pretty quickly and I was just setting the line down again when the boat was picked up by a large wave and we surfed the curl for about 10 seconds. all the while the guests were down below my feet and the boat was almost at a 90 degree angle. That wave put us down and I looked out behind us and the sight that beheld my eyes was menacing. The sun blocked out at about the same time and as I looked out past Cree I saw the ominous black line out there. The light level went way down. I would have to say that in all it took about 5 mins to be fully engrossed by this squall. I didn't like our odds of running back to Bamfeild, but offered it as a suggestion. I told my guests "Well we now have 2 choices, we could go into the broken group islands and make a camp, start a fire, and have BBQ fish for dinner, Or we could foolishly risk our lives and try to make it back to the lodge". I left it entirely their decision. They decided we should make a run for it, much to my dismay. So away we start out in this under powered jalopy. We got about 2-3 miles out from Cree when the full force of the squall hit. The water turned from being "black" to being "white" as the big swells 20+ footers started capping on the tops and doubling in size!!! It was everything in my abilities to take us through that storm. In fact I left it up to the Big Guy most of the way, as I was literally praying that the wall we were climbing didn't flip us off the top back onto ourselves. After what seemed like forever we made it behind Folger Island, and turned for home, the worst behind us. We ducked in through the gap at Kirby and headed across the last channel. The fellow that chartered me that day owns a Resort in Costa Rica, and became a friend for life after that day. He invited me down to run one of his boats for him to guide for Marlin. He said he would fully trust me to drive any boat he owned after what we went through. I never have taken him up on his offer, although I've been hounded by him for yrs now when he comes up here to go fishing with me in mid- August. I still don't know how we made it through that storm though, I would never want anyone here on SFBC to go through that hell. Sure taught me how insignificant we are to the Ocean. And if I had to go through it again I defiantly would choose to pull in to a sheltered cove start a fire and have some BBQ fish and some beer. I wouldn't ask their opinion.

found you finally DOUCHE BAG this guy rips off forum members, be warned.

fish assassin AKA Robert Warren
changed his tag after he ripped me off for $150, he dropped the first chord, I was having surgery the next day, he said he'd bring the second chord the next day never did, I called him over and over got him once on the phone and he said he'd bring it by never did, too bad people like you give natives a bad name.

Mr Killer

It could not be the same guy!!!!

The waves were only 20 fters in that story, it was just a squall, not a hurricane and he was in a "Whaler" type boat, not an actual whaler, which is not as good as a real whaler.:D[:p]

Juandesooka, sorry for hijacking your thread. Thanks for the read. amazing story to say the least.

Cheers

SS

Fishing08018-1.jpg

Sounds like the same guy if any doubt send of an e-mail to last chance the moderator he will check it out and let you know hes a wizard with computors.Oh maybe i dont have to if Kelly is reading this!

I guess the theroy of if it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck it must be a duck!!!!!!!!!!!

Wolf

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back