Trolling Reels - Anything New?

Mr3 are like $800.00 now Scott. All these reels went up in price. The TR3 are like 1000 holy cow.

Sure have come along way in $$ from my days fishing alvey reels.

The knockoff's were okay when they were 1/2 the price of an Islander
but at $420, you might as well go for the real thing if that's your type of reel.
TR3s are $974 on the website right now, still looks like they are half. Get two other reels for the price of one of those is tough, love supporting local as much as I can but thats pushing it imo. All personal at the end of the day

TR3s are $974 on the website right now, still looks like they are half. Get two other reels for the price of one of those is tough, love supporting local as much as I can but thats pushing it imo. All personal at the end of the day
You get what you pay for in many ways.

I'm not the biggest Islander fan but they are still the best reel I've run. The cost just erks me.

I own most of the Islander renditions from the last 15 years. The tr3s are the best Imo, however I find clumsy guests get their fingers in the drag adjustment while reeling and slam the drag on (I don't notice till the fish turns close to the boat and tears the hook out). The ceramic bearings and sealed drag are a big upgrade. Don't care for the look. Prefer the classic mr3 look. And what's with charging an extra $200 for a black one instead of blue or red. Come on ffs.

I wore out the tmx5s in 40 days used as spares over a season. They work but they are far from refined. Rebuild cost 1/3 of original bill. Any one wants a new one I think I might have one somewhere from 2021.

4 trophy reels circa 2010-12 we're far from robust. I'm sure they have improved but they ate parts quickly. Quality ducked then but painless when they go blooop

Maybe a reef circa 2015 (might have the name confused). That thing was crap.

I have high hopes for the coast reels. Esthetics aren't great but I'll grab a pair and see what the buzz is about. I like to support locally made stuff and the price point is reasonable

Never could choke down able reels cost to try a pair. Don't think they even make em now.

If you use a reel 15 times a year like most folks then the Chinese stuff is fine. If you use them lots, they might not save you any money over 2-5 years of service. A tr3 comes with a lifetime warranty (I believe anyhow), or a couple years of charter. They also don't depreciate much. My Mr3s are still worth the $400 I paid back in 2009 (yes I get inflation disagrees with that statement)

Circling back on this thread, thanks a lot for everyone's input. Ended up grabbing a TMX5. The Coast reels look very nice as well, if I feel spendy next reel purchase I would definitely go for one of those. They feel great.

The TMX5 drag is incredibly smooth, time will tell how it holds up!

A little maintenance and the TMX will hold up fine. grease the threads for the drag knob and I would take the drag stack apart and put a light coat of superlube grease on each carbon drag washers ....................... also grease the center screw threads. Do all that when new and it won't end up seizing up down the road.

A little maintenance and the TMX will hold up fine. grease the threads for the drag knob and I would take the drag stack apart and put a light coat of superlube grease on each carbon drag washers ....................... also grease the center screw threads. Do all that when new and it won't end up seizing up down the road.
agreed. the drag on the TMX5 are a disaster. I also had the entire post shear off in the body of the reel. The manager said he’s been getting a lot of them back for warranty with this same problem. fixed under warranty but the drag knob is just not good at all

The drag knob should be better as will the longevity of the reel if my advice above is followed. I would take the drag apart once a year, clean/ wipe the carbon drag washers , apply new grease to washers and threads. I see a bunch of bad reels every year but the ones that get serviced suffer way less failures. preventative seems to be the name of the game.

Service before there is an issue. I see very few new reels that are lubed as good as they should be.

Check out the Luhr Jensen Legacy reel. I got one on sale for $399 (the regular price has since climbed from 499 to 579) a couple years ago and it's the best reel I've used. No creep on the rigger, great retrieve, large, comfortable grips on the knobs. Highly recommended.

I have had Abels for a few years now.
They were better than the MR3s for Rigger Trolling.

TR3s are better though, so I run mostly those, with the Abels as backups. Kept one of the MR3s (and a few other reels) for friends that want to try different things.

Never been a fan of MR2s and MR3s. Used to fish amundsen tmx5s until islander came out with the TR3s. I got 2 TR3s after seeing them on big coast, i liked the sound. I fish them every day in the summer with little maintenance, but by the end of the season they start to have issues. My solution was to buy 2 more. Awesome reels when theyre in good working order, but not as bulletproof or easy to maintain as a corkdrag islander.

Never been a fan of MR2s and MR3s. Used to fish amundsen tmx5s until islander came out with the TR3s. I got 2 TR3s after seeing them on big coast, i liked the sound. I fish them every day in the summer with little maintenance, but by the end of the season they start to have issues. My solution was to buy 2 more. Awesome reels when theyre in good working order, but not as bulletproof or easy to maintain as a corkdrag islander.
Are you a commercial user? Recreational user has unlimited lifetime warranty.

I let my guests use them in the summer, islander only offers a 1 or 2 yr warranty on guide reels which is bs. I bought 2 blackout TR3s which will just be for personal use

I let my guests use them in the summer, islander only offers a 1 or 2 yr warranty on guide reels which is bs. I bought 2 blackout TR3s which will just be for personal use
You’ve even been foolish enough to let me try them! Effing beauty reels. Not as beautiful as your avatar though!!

Ive lost both overboard and managed to get them back, whats the worst that could have happened?

Check out the Luhr Jensen Legacy reel. I got one on sale for $399 (the regular price has since climbed from 499 to 579) a couple years ago and it's the best reel I've used. No creep on the rigger, great retrieve, large, comfortable grips on the knobs. Highly recommended.

I just picked up two of these reels today from Cabela's, Canada Sale on right now for the price you mentioned!!

Back