Boat Safety Inspection yesterday - Annual Fire Extinguisher Re-Certification

Bill 310

Crew Member
I was out at the boat yesterday and the Port Moody Chapter of the Power Squadron was doing their annual free boat safety inspection.
beebrs volunteering.

I was talking to a couple of the guys who were walking the floats encouraging folks to get their boats inspected.

They mentioned they had the Fire extinguisher folks there to certify extinguishers . I said I just bought 2 new 5 lb extinguishers last year.

They said you now need an annual inspection certificate. $10.00/ per extinguisher . Apparently, this change hasn't been well communicated.

I paid my $20.00 to the fire extinguisher guys for two new tags.

I tried to find this annual inspection reg. but to no avail.

Does anyone have a link?

It’s true. I found this out 2 weeks ago myself at our club. I also think after 5 years that fire extinguishers cant be certified. They becomes spares and you buy new.

Once a year for commercial/industrial. Not specific for small craft or residential.

Transport Canada dictates the number and type of extinguishers required. For maintenance:
"Fire extinguishers should be inspected periodically to ensure that they’re in good working order, and should be turned upside down and shaken vigorously once a month to prevent the chemical agent from clumping."

"According to NFPA 10, fire extinguishers in commercial and industrial spaces must be inspected on a monthly basis. This inspection can be done internally by a designated staff member or by a certified fire extinguisher company. On an annual basis, fire extinguishers must be inspected by a certified company.

ABC dry chemical fire extinguishers must be tested every 6 years. A recharge is performed at the 6 year mark followed by a hydrostatic test at the 12 year mark. Co2, Class K (kitchen) and water fire extinguishers must be hydrostatically tested every 5 years."

If you have quality, dry chemical extinguishers, turn them upside down and tap the bottom with a rubber mallet, monthly. If even partially discharged, they need servicing. Otherwise, if the guage is in the green, it's okay for 5 or 6 years. Keep a tag on the extinguishers showing the dates of each inspection.

Last edited:
It’s true. I found this out 2 weeks ago myself at our club. I also think after 5 years that fire extinguishers cant be certified. They becomes spares and you buy new.

It would be so helpful to see these regs.

I was told RCMP has/is ticketing

Coast Guard is unaware or not enforcing.

It would be so helpful to see these regs.

I was told RCMP has/is ticketing

Coast Guard is unaware or not enforcing.
RCMP could possibly ticket for inadequate or absent extinguishers. Transport Canada requires them to be onboard, appropriately sized and operational. It provides only maintenance recommendations but no regulation concerning small, recreational vessels.

RCMP could possibly ticket for inadequate or absent extinguishers. Transport Canada requires them to be onboard, appropriately sized and operational. It provides only maintenance recommendations but no regulation concerning small, recreational vessels.

That is what I thought until yesterday .

THe Port Moody Power Squadron folks had gone to a lot of effort (including having a fire extinguisher inspection firm show up for the day)

My extinguisher says it's good for 10 years right on it. I know at work we have to get them done annually.

I was checked by the rcmp last year. They just wanted to see that I had the extinguisher. Didn't look at the dates or anything on it.

Years ago I had a Vancouver Police boat check my tags. It was expired but they just gave me a warning.

during one inspection i was read the riot act about my fire extinguisher not being up to date. during another inspection they just wanted to see if i had one.

all confusion aside, i’ve been on a boat that had a fuel issue under the cowling and started on fire while underway. we tore off the cowling and once the air got to it we had a serious fire.

we had to pour salt water on it with whatever we could find to scoop water with. it was pretty crazy.

Once a year for commercial/industrial. Not specific for small craft or residential.

Transport Canada dictates the number and type of extinguishers required. For maintenance:
"Fire extinguishers should be inspected periodically to ensure that they’re in good working order, and should be turned upside down and shaken vigorously once a month to prevent the chemical agent from clumping."

"According to NFPA 10, fire extinguishers in commercial and industrial spaces must be inspected on a monthly basis. This inspection can be done internally by a designated staff member or by a certified fire extinguisher company. On an annual basis, fire extinguishers must be inspected by a certified company.

ABC dry chemical fire extinguishers must be tested every 6 years. A recharge is performed at the 6 year mark followed by a hydrostatic test at the 12 year mark. Co2, Class K (kitchen) and water fire extinguishers must be hydrostatically tested every 5 years."

If you have quality, dry chemical extinguishers, turn them upside down and tap the bottom with a rubber mallet, monthly. If even partially discharged, they need servicing. Otherwise, if the guage is in the green, it's okay for 5 or 6 years. Keep a tag on the extinguishers showing the dates of each inspection.
I was recently looking for the rules on inspection of extinguishers and could find nothing other than what you posted. I had been taking mine in annually to have the guy hit the bottom with a rubber mallet and punch my inspection tag. Seemed kind of ridiculous. If someone has a reference for recreational boaters I’d sure like to see a link. Lots of confusing info out there.

THe Port Moody Power Squadron folks had gone to a lot of effort (including having a fire extinguisher inspection firm show up for the day)
Wonder if they could direct us to where the reference is. Would be a great thing to post.

I'd be interested to see any actual Transport Canada maintenance regulation that's applicable and enforceable. Maybe the P.S. could provide it. I searched for anything concerning small, recreational vessels and came up with nothing. Yes for commercial but no for recreational. There are Work Safe requirements but not enforceable by RCMP or applicable to recreational use.

I was recently looking for the rules on inspection of extinguishers and could find nothing other than what you posted. I had been taking mine in annually to have the guy hit the bottom with a rubber mallet and punch my inspection tag. Seemed kind of ridiculous. If someone has a reference for recreational boaters I’d sure like to see a link. Lots of confusing info out there.
We are also plagued by misinformation and false information these days. Recommendations are great but they aren't enforceable. The 6 and 12 year testing regulations are sensible - especially on boats. Otherwise boaters, eg. "designated persons" can hammer the bottom, too.

What did you use for mounting brackets? The plastic thing that come with the kit, or something aftermarket? I need an aftermarket version for a 5 lb.
Came with a metal bracket, seems to be fine.

you can buy one from Uline

Last edited:
I'd be interested to see any actual Transport Canada maintenance regulation that's applicable and enforceable. Maybe the P.S. could provide it. I searched for anything concerning small, recreational vessels and came up with nothing. Yes for commercial but no for recreational. There are Work Safe requirements but not enforceable by RCMP or applicable to recreational use.

I wrote to the Power Squadron as few minutes ago on this very matter.

Also make sure you have a first aid kit on boat and newer bandaids and nothing expired and you should have a CPR mask just incase. if you ask your local firehall they have kits there for a very resonable price,

From the nfpa website: You are not required to be certified in order to perform an inspection; any knowledgeable, competent person should be able to do it. You can inspect it and fill out the tag yourself.

Last edited:
Back