Vandals do costly damage to a West Van volunteer search and rescue boat

Bill 310

Crew Member

This story might bring that happiness quotient down a notch or two. West Vancouver’s Royal Canadian Marine Search and Rescue volunteers are wondering who would deliberately vandalize their main search and rescue vessel.
The team is now out thousands of dollars after someone spray painted one of the inflatable tubes that keeps their Horseshoe Bay-based Zodiac afloat.

Rescue volunteers scrubbed the paint off as best as they could, but the chemicals in the paint can break down the integrity of the hull, meaning the tube will have to repaired or replaced. That could cost up to $28,000

Video in link below

This story might bring that happiness quotient down a notch or two. West Vancouver’s Royal Canadian Marine Search and Rescue volunteers are wondering who would deliberately vandalize their main search and rescue vessel.
The team is now out thousands of dollars after someone spray painted one of the inflatable tubes that keeps their Horseshoe Bay-based Zodiac afloat.

Rescue volunteers scrubbed the paint off as best as they could, but the chemicals in the paint can break down the integrity of the hull, meaning the tube will have to repaired or replaced. That could cost up to $28,000

Video in link below

Unfortunate that this happened but hypalon tubes are very tough . I think it is unlikely that they need to be replaced.

Unfortunate that this happened but hypalon tubes are very tough . I think it is unlikely that they need to be replaced.

You beat me to it, beemer The vandals suck and should be soaked in a dungeness pot for a couple of drops but that’s just a minor flesh wound if it is indeed hypalon (now known as Orca Pennel). I could make that disappear in 5 minutes with a bit of Emory cloth and some acetone and the tube would be just fine. If it’s Decitex, a bit of methyl ethyl ketone—- same result.

Obviously something very stupid to do.. but was that not just a bit dramatized? Having to replace a tube from a bit of spray paint? Turn yourself in so we can get back to doing what we need to do? Yeesh

A motley crew of stupid taggers. Should be easy for W. Van police to track down the tag but camera angles will make tagger ID difficult.
Here’s a funny story from my younger years:
A rally was planned at a fish farm some distance away and a group of boats was organized to ferry people to and from so I decided to inflate my old Zodiac and had an artist friend paint protest slogans both sides. Another friend offered to tow it to the rally. The artist hand painted “Pharmed and Dangerous” on both sides in black ink on a white background. That was a common slogan in the day. I launched the Zodiac and tied it to the float behind the tow vessel so it would be ready to go in the morning.
When we assembled at the tow vessel the next day I noticed that a bit of paint had rubbed off on the float and the port side slogan now said “harmed and Dangerous”. No time to repaint the “P” before departure so I planned to fix it once we got to the rally. Off we went and about halfway there we spotted the RCMP catamaran approaching off our stern throwing a huge rooster tail. It wasn’t long before it overtook us on our port side. But then it slowed right down and idled beside us for about ten or fifteen minutes. No call from them on the VHF even tho the tow vessel’s name was highly visible, no loud hailer call over the water even though they were less than 100 metres abreast of us, just officers with binoculars looking out their windows at us. Needless to say, we did not try to contact them and just continued on our way. Soon the RCMP blasted off again leaving us in their wake.
Once we arrived at our destination and pulled the Zodiac alongside to fix up the paint job I noticed that the “h” had now also gotten worn off. The slogan now said “armed and Dangerous”.

I hope the taggers used a similar kind of paint.

Last edited:
Taggers got to be the wierdest peeps ever. boxcars, graincars, ore cars, tagged with unknown symbols that nobody reads or understands. Are they all high on gasoline fumes?
These days the saying is, "I just don't understand TikTok." Please try to keep up with the times.

Since we are way off topic, let me add that i am a fan of street art and some of it is really quite brilliant.

The other side of street art is the vandalism of the destructive tagging like that which has happened to the S&R craft.

A friend has renovoated an old warehouse in east van and has enclosed the back yard which over the years has had some magnificent and not so great tagging and street art painted on the building's wall. He has had some young artists come in and finish off his walls.

Now you sit out in the yard and you right in the middle of an amazing outdoor art display.

Barcelona has amazing stuff on its' walls

1684246599737.png

1684246557118.png

1684246515054.png

1684246442755.png

I think equating street art with vandalism is just as much of an exaggeration of the costs that Jane - media relations for RCMSAR Station 1 - quoted and SH and others picked-up on and commented. Neither are accurate nor defensible statements. If one is looking for USEFUL and potentially life-saving "street art" maybe these artistic renditions should be protected - even if they aren't (ph)armed and dangerous:

first.jpg

Attachments

• coast guard.png
    coast guard.png
    107.9 KB · Views: 10
Someone once said, "The difference between art and graffiti is permission."

I have been dealing with graffiti on one creek and over a small rural area for nearly 25 years now.
It defies logic and seems never-ending.

Some incredible street artists though.

But damn..........

Take care.

Back