Trim Tabs and Rough water Operation

Something isn't working...with the tabs on my podded Seasport I can drive the bow down and eliminate all bow lift and smooth the ride and stay on plane at slower speeds. Mine is a 92 and back then Seasport installed Insta-Trim Tabs...electric/hydraulic. If you are in the water you should be able to see the tabs moving while at the dock...if you activate just one side while running it should make the boat lean over to a very uncomfortable list.

4 blade props work the best on heavy boats that need the lift. It will allow for a lower planing speed.

I find its best when you use the tabs and the engine trim together to create the bow lift. This provides stability. Engine trim gauges are especially handy for this as once you find where the boat really shines, its quick to get it in its spot

4 blade props work the best on heavy boats that need the lift. It will allow for a lower planing speed.

I'm not disagreeing with you and your very generalized reply, but the props he is running (Enertia ECO) have huge blade area already and are considered to be a "lifting" prop.

I'm curious how the engine mounting height is? Have you got the height dialed in so the anti-ventilation plate is skimming just above the water surface when trimmed neutrally while running?

Last edited:
I sea trialed the boat with the props with the inlet marine Techs. I think it was dialed in pretty well. Like I said the boat runs great in calm waters. Its just lower speeds going into the waves, I can start to get the bow down by trimming the engines all the way down but the trim tabs seem to be completely useless in these conditions. On my previous trophy I was able to use the trim tabs to force the bow right down to a point where it would bow steer. I was running a hydrofoil which produced a lot of stern lift.

I sea trialed the boat with the props with the inlet marine Techs. I think it was dialed in pretty well. Like I said the boat runs great in calm waters. Its just lower speeds going into the waves, I can start to get the bow down by trimming the engines all the way down but the trim tabs seem to be completely useless in these conditions. On my previous trophy I was able to use the trim tabs to force the bow right down to a point where it would bow steer. I was running a hydrofoil which produced a lot of stern lift.
I think you have a Pod issue not a trim tab or prop issue

I think your right, your tabs are likely too small, you should be able to drive the nose down with them.
As you mentioned the addition of your pod likely has something to do with it.
What size are your planes, I have seen buddies have great success from adding both plane area and right angle skirts to the sides of their existing planes and not have to change them out.

I own a 24 Wellcraft walk around with a 225 optimax with a 3 blade 19 pitch prop. Top speeds at 4200 rpm probably around 32 mph.. to be honest my hole shot sucks and low speed planning sucks even with trim tabs... fuel efficiency isn't too bad. If I went to a 4 blade would my hole shot improve dramatically and fuel efficiency? Just wondering if its worth it or not
Going to a 17p 4 blade would make a big difference in your hole shot.

I have the factory seaport pod specifically manufactured for this boat. I doubt that its the Pod. I was looking back at pictures I took of new seasports at the boat show a few years ago and they all have the same sized tabs located in the same position I do.

So those tabs were there before the pod was installed? that pod which is basically an extension of your existing hull extends way past the tabs now obviously. those existing tabs may now be too small to have any real effectiveness.

It looks like the pod doesn’t extend to the bottom of the hull? I’m not a expert but I wonder how clean the water is around the tabs or if that gap causes any issues? Just a thought...

Just a guess, but that pod appears from the pics to be more like a bracket and wouldn't provide much floatation. The weight of the motors on the bracket is going to force the stern down and the bow up much more than before. Combine that with the slower you go, the less upward force on the transom the tabs will generate, and the result will be you can't get the bow down. So possibility #1 is likely correct, particularly at low speed. To determine if possibility #2 is a factor, you should be able to start with them fully trimmed down and compare the effect.

I have been thinking more about this and comparing my boat to a brand new 2400XL Seaport. I have the same hull, same pod, same trim tabs. The only other significant difference between my seasport and new one is fuel tank location. My seasport has two tanks on both sides right to the back of the transom. A new seasport has a single tank located mid ship which is about 5ft to 6ft from the transom. This weekend I did have absolutely full tanks so maybe I am just more stern heavy due to my tank locations than a newer seasport.

As others have said I probly need more lift, either with props, or a hydrofoil.

Yeah, overall weight distribution critical....would make sense that if the fuel is at the stern that you'll need more lift when the tanks are full. What about putting on bigger trim tabs, or even creating an extension to your current tabs?

Back