Trim Tabs and Rough water Operation

Captain PartyMarty

Crew Member
Hi Guy's

As most of you know I podded my Seasport last year with a factory pod and installed twin 200hp seapros. I feel like I am having some slow speed trimming issues when traveling in rough water.

at high speed everything is good, the engines have enough power get on plane quickly and I can trim the engines up to bring the bow up. I can normally get a trim angle of about 3deg before the bow starts to bounce. I then use my trim tabs to level the boat left to right and control the bow.

I feel like 3deg of trim is about right but what trim angle range to you normally run in.

Now if the water gets rough with waves coming at the bow, I am obviously running slower so lets say 20mph. I can drive the bow down by trimming the engines all the way down into a negative angle but that doesn't get the bow down as much as I would like. Now to drive the bow down further I would expect my trim tabs to be able to get this done, but I am finding that my trim tabs are ineffective in these conditions. I keep pushing on the button but I no response from the boat.

Is it possible that

1) the trim tabs are too small and the distance between the engines and tabs is big due to the pod which makes the tabs ineffective? pivot point is too far forward?
2) is it possible that the trim tab actuators are not strong enough to actually push the trim tabs down?

I was thinking of upgrading my switch to the one which shows trim tab position so I can see if they are actually deploying down. but other than that I am not sure what could potentially fix this.

What size trim tabs Do you have? Electric or hydrolic?

I have 12" hydrolic on my boat and have never had to put them all the way down.

Maybe if you have hydrolic the reservoir is low or you have a piched tube somewhere?

I've questioned this myself and actually had a buddy hold a pole on them while I tried them out at the dock to make sure.

Maybe to get more back end lift I need to consider adding hydrofoils.....but don't really want too
Maybe call there tech support tomorrow and let them know what's going on. I think those tabs are good up to a 30' boat so should be more then enough for yours.

My old bayliner just wouldn't stay on step at 20. butt would sink and it would plow. A different prop might help but might just be a power issue.

I own a 24 Wellcraft walk around with a 225 optimax with a 3 blade 19 pitch prop. Top speeds at 4200 rpm probably around 32 mph.. to be honest my hole shot sucks and low speed planning sucks even with trim tabs... fuel efficiency isn't too bad. If I went to a 4 blade would my hole shot improve dramatically and fuel efficiency? Just wondering if its worth it or not

Back