Bennet electric trim tabs on a 2016 Campion 542

WayneP

I am in the process of installing 9x12 bennett electric trim tabs on my 542. The tabs are going on fine but I was wondering where people found a spot to install the trim switch, space is limited on my 2016 542.

Fantastic, thanks for posting that Mike. My dash is set up differently. I think I will install my switch where I put that piece of green tape, there is enough room there and it is clear behind it. By the way Mike, what year is your 542..

IMG_3965.jpeg

Last edited:
Fantastic, thanks for posting that Mike. My dash is set up differently. I think I will install my switch where I put that piece of green tape, there is enough room there and it is clear behind it. By the way Mike, what year is your 542..

View attachment 103488
Just a thought. What about on the side where the sticker is? I think you may find it cumbersome trying to reach where you have the green tape.

Looks like you have some empty spaces on the bottom for switches. Could you move your top switches down to the bottom and put your tab switch on the top like MikePA? It’s nice have your tab switch easily accessible. That sticker looks too far in. Left hand on the wheel, right hand on the throttle or tabs if necessary. More better.

View attachment 103488
Remember to position so it’s accessible with ease and can’t hurt yourself in real rough water. Away from the wheel and engine controls and where you don’t have to take your eyes from ahead of you for long.

As others have said easy accessibility is critical. Trying to get at the switches through the steering wheel spokes will get old in a real hurry.
How about right above your VHF.

As others have said easy accessibility is critical. Trying to get at the switches through the steering wheel spokes will get old in a real hurry.
How about right above your VHF.
That's what I would suggest as well. Shift the VHF underneath the ignition key switch, and then put the tab switches under your switch panel.

Alternatively, why not wire the tab switches directly into the spaces on your switch panel (ideally bottom right, for best access and to separate them from the other switches). You would need to ditch the switch box that comes with the tabs - but a switch is a switch, and it would surely be a cleaner option.

That's what I would suggest as well. Shift the VHF underneath the ignition key switch, and then put the tab switches under your switch panel.

Alternatively, why not wire the tab switches directly into the spaces on your switch panel (ideally bottom right, for best access and to separate them from the other switches). You would need to ditch the switch box that comes with the tabs - but a switch is a switch, and it would surely be a cleaner option. Maybe re-organize the wiring on your switch panel and make put the tab switches at the top, similar to Mike.

Thanks so much everyone for your input on installing my trim tab rocker switches. I moved my VHF radio from the right side to the left side and then installed my trim tab switches on the right where they are more accessible.
I just have to run the wires now, and also fill the 4 screw holes where my radio was.
Thanks again

Attachments

• IMG_2629.jpeg
    IMG_2629.jpeg
    209.8 KB · Views: 31
Thanks so much everyone for your input on installing my trim tab rocker switches. I moved my VHF radio from the right side to the left side and then installed my trim tab switches on the right where they are more accessible.
I just have to run the wires now, and also fill the 4 screw holes where my radio was.
Thanks again
Good call

Back