Transom Rebuild 228 grady

pics looks good sk01...glad to see your still making progress...best part is once its done you'll have a solid transom that will last you years!! But ouch on the price per sheet:eek:

Gelcoated the outer transom today, major orange peel!!!!!!!!!!!! 4 hours of wet sanding and it looks way better. Hopefully install the pod tomorrow.

Attachments

• gelcoated transom.jpg
    gelcoated transom.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 246
Looking good!
Did you spray the gelcoat? I mix in a duratech patch additive to the gelcoat from industrial plastics which thins the gelcoat for smooth spraying and improves curing and durability.

First coat I tried rolling, thats what caused the orange peel effect then I sanded and sprayed, it looks ok I am not much of a bodyman, but I can work on it more later on. I just want to get my garage back!!! It's too full with stuff from the boat.

Thanks Duffer, good luck on fishing, are you going for flatties??

Pod is back on, 2 tubes of 5200. I wont be removing again. Now to start putting the floor back in.

Nobody noticed no thru hulls in the transom anymore. I am going to get away from the scuppers and big holes in my transom by utilizing a floor drain and thru hull out the side. What do you think?

Nobody noticed no thru hulls in the transom anymore. I am going to get away from the scuppers and big holes in my transom by utilizing a floor drain and thru hull out the side. What do you think?

Let us know what you decide, I need to put something into my project and I haven't what we're going to do yet for scuppers.

Thanks Duffer, good luck on fishing, are you going for flatties??

Pod is back on, 2 tubes of 5200. I wont be removing again. Now to start putting the floor back in.

The scuppers on my Pursuit are like that...

I have had my pod off to re-powder coat it once and will take it off the next time I have the power off to do the same. I used Sika around the 6 bolt holes then ran a bead around the pod to seal it watertight. I'm kinda wondering why you used an adhesive instead of a sealant...as the bolts do the work. I want to get mine off fairly easily without tearing all the gel off.

I have had my pod off to re-powder coat it once and will take it off the next time I have the power off to do the same. I used Sika around the 6 bolt holes then ran a bead around the pod to seal it watertight. I'm kinda wondering why you used an adhesive instead of a sealant...as the bolts do the work. I want to get mine off fairly easily without tearing all the gel off.

Talked to the guys at armstrong who made the bracket and that was their recomendation. The 3m 5200 and sikaflex 291 that I use for most sealing purposes are both adhesive sealants.
I really do not think I will have my pod off again, I will sell and buy new next time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Definately something to investigate on the Scuppers interesting question, personally I would feel better with 2, Thats prob how many were originally on the Transom?? The one you have gets plugged 2nd is there for back up. Yep headin up for some flatties..

Ya I am thinking a drain in each rear corner, like you said if it plugs there always another. As I am replacing 2 feet of floor in the back I will shape it so water will run to each drain.

Ya I am thinking a drain in each rear corner, like you said if it plugs there always another. As I am replacing 2 feet of floor in the back I will shape it so water will run to each drain.

Salmonkiller............Below is taken from the Boats Manual. As you can see the scupper drains are linked so water can flow out either/both sides and there are ball valves that can be closed if necessary..........Hope this helps in some way. From the photo you can see the location of the scupper hole on the outside of the hull which, when the boat is in the water, is just above the water line.

7.1 Cockpit Drainage
Your Pursuit has two scupper drains located on each side of the hull
near the waterline to provide drainage for the cockpit. Water is
channeled away from all opening hatches by a gutter or drain rail
system. The water then drains overboard through the scuppers.
The scupper drain thru-hull fittings are equipped with PVC ball
valves that are always open under normal operating conditions. The
valves are accessed through hatches located in the stern. In the event
of an emergency, the valves can be closed to prevent seawater from
entering the boat through the drainage system. It is important to check
and operate the drain valves at least annually to make sure they are in
good condition and operating properly. You also should check the
drain system frequently to ensure it is free flowing and that the hoses
on the thru-hull fittings are secure and not leaking.

Scuppers.jpgIMG_9770 B.jpg

Thats the same as what I have designed for my deck, I already have 2 deck drains at the helm and am putting 2 in the rear corners. Gonna get some pics later today if the weather co-operates a bit.

I have my interior pieces back in and am just waiting for some resin to cure so I can put my floor piece in. I can see the end is near. If I knew how much work this was gonna be at the start I would have never taken it on. I can see why people start these projects then give up, alot of work.

Attachments

• pod on.jpg
    pod on.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 220
I have a floor!!!! Last major grind is done, floor is down and glassed in. Some body work to do and the install of all the rigging. The best part of this project is my boat will have that new boat smell.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back