Training course

papg5860

I'm looking for a company that provides training in boat handling and anchoring. I've been running a 18' on the ocean for about 12 years and have moved up to a 25'. What we read about anchoring and what we're seeing other boats doing are totally different so would love to find a reputable company to teach us.

Book a trip with myself or some of the other guides on here, we'll show you anything you want to know about anchoring and then some. Otherwise, I don't know of any courses for pleasure boat handling per say, just the bigger courses for commercial operators that more test what you learn in the field then show you.

For pointers;

You will probably find that the bigger boat is easier to dock because the larger size makes it less "squirly". Try to find a slip that lets you dock with it to the starboard side of the boat, that way, when you nose in, you hit reverse HARD, and the stern end of your boat will crawl to the right (That's starboard) about two feet, and you look like a pro. It's called prop crawl. If it is windy, rather then crawl at a low pace and blow around, keep your throttle RPMS up, the extra power will give you more control while manouvering (While of course keeping the speed low enough to not produce a wake). Some of the BEST Sunday Morning fuel dock antics are by people under-powering their manouvers.

And trim tabs. Your new boat will probably have them, AVOID using them in a following sea, whatever you do, untill you learn how the boat handles. A broach (where the boat gets stuffed into the wave in front of you) is a very scary thing if you have never noticed it before. Play with them on a nice day (And in a ferry wake if you can get near one) to see what they do to the handling of the boat. They can stuff the bow of your boat into an oncoming sea to smooth out the ride as well, I adjust mine quite a lot to adjust the ride.

Here are some other good pointers as well on David Pascoes page, mostly for boats with twins, but a good read regardless;

http://yachtsurvey.com/docking.htm

Last but not least, ones ability to handle a boat is often directly linked to how many people will see you cursing and swearing as you drift sideways in the wind to the fuel dock, or wherever else you plan to go.

Depends where you live,but there should be a local power squadron chapter in your area,they usually run courses in the fall and spring

Were we live we don't have a power squadron within 500km of our home, and 2000km to the ocean so we fiqure we'll have to travel to the coast for a course. Last chance thanks for the link there's lot's of info there for us to read. I tried a charter and other than watching the skipper roll a joint and get drunk the trip was a wash, luckily we saw him this year and he's doesn't have his nice new boat any more.

Contact the Canadian Yachting Association and have them recommend an instructor to take you on the water on your boat and practice anchoring.
About 7 years ago I did this with instructor Lew Forth in Nanaimo and was thrilled with how effective and relevant the instruction was!
The real world practice is better than years of reading how to do it!

Contact the Canadian Yachting Association and have them recommend an instructor to take you on the water on your boat and practice anchoring.
About 7 years ago I did this with instructor Lew Forth in Nanaimo and was thrilled with how effective and relevant the instruction was!
The real world practice is better than years of reading how to do it!

Back