The Shimano Conventional Lineup. If You Had To Choose Just Two.

I prefer star drag when I have rookies aboard or when I’m jigging. Lots easier to have the set drag when I’m dropping jigs over and over and over. Too easy to muck up the drag with a lever when getting hammered on the drop.
Oooooh so the lever on a star drag is just on/off? I never realized that. Amazing, considering that I fished that Trinidad last season for lings. 😣

I would avoid the newer Toriums. They're really fun and I've caught tuna up to 45lbs but I don't think they're built for longevity like the Trinidads.
There's a Trinidad 20 for sale at an amazing price at a certain place in the valley except it needs some tweaking, the free spool wasn't to my liking the 3 times I played with it from July to December.

I have friends who have caught Bluefin up to 110lbs on those speedmasters but they do require yearly maintenance.

Has anyone had any experience with the Penn Squall two speed reel?

Those were the first setups I purchased 7 or 8 years ago. They're still going strong. I was just looking for something to better pump me ego.

I've got a 30VSW two speed. Took it on a trip to Mexico, had the anti reverse dog mess up after catching tiny tuna trolling. Pulled it apart, repositioned the dog, it's been fine since. I don't really use it much, ended up putting a fish winch on it and using it for really deep black cod fishing. So, mixed review. They're good plastic reels, but not in the same league as the Internationals, Tiagras etc.

I've got a 30VSW two speed. Took it on a trip to Mexico, had the anti reverse dog mess up after catching tiny tuna trolling. Pulled it apart, repositioned the dog, it's been fine since. I don't really use it much, ended up putting a fish winch on it and using it for really deep black cod fishing. So, mixed review. They're good plastic reels, but not in the same league as the Internationals, Tiagras etc.
They're more suited to freshwater fishing and won't stand up to long-term saltwater use especially on pelagics. The Fathom lineup is the best bang for your $$$ and relatively easy to service yourself.

Those were the first setups I purchased 7 or 8 years ago. They're still going strong. I was just looking for something to better pump me ego.
What's your budget like?
Those new Saltiga's are getting rave reviews and look pretty sexy, I have a generation 1 Saltiga 50 2 speed that's been really good to me and still feels like tip top shape internally and have used it in the salt and for sturgeon a fair bit.

What's your budget like?
Those new Saltiga's are getting rave reviews and look pretty sexy, I have a generation 1 Saltiga 50 2 speed that's been really good to me and still feels like tip top shape internally and have used it in the salt and for sturgeon a fair bit.
Not really in the market right now. I've got these two to play with. But down the road I'd eventually like to have a go-to setup and a reason behind it. I have no problem spending money. But if the price-point is just gouging for the sake of being more expensive then I'll avoid that category.

Back