Trailer- rollers vs. Bunks for alumn boat?

MRACER

what are the pros and cons- I don't like rollers on fibreglass, but think they might be ok on a welded alumn boat- help???

I had all rollers on my last trailer and it worked fine but in the wind it could be a ***** to load and line it up.
Now I have half rollers and half bunks and it's a breeze to use, way better.

19' Lifetimer

I have bunks. I'll never go back to rollers. When putting the boat back on the trailer, all you have to do is get the bow between the bunks and it self centers. I've never once had the boat go on crooked. I've never had any trouble getting it off, either. I don't know why people need those bunk sliders on their trailers. Maintenance free.

Dave

Rollers for me. I have a 5800 lb Shorlandr with a great roller system, dropped axles and disk brakes. I've never had to sink the trailer on even the shallowest of ramps. In fact the frame rails from the front axle to the front of the trailer have never seen water except from a hose.

this one has rollers at the front and short bunks at the back.

it loads way easier but you need a bit more water than the all roller version.

I have a 20 ft. SilverStreak and my trailers has rollers in the front and bunks in the rear. Works great, As rollers make it easier to winch up and for the boat come off in shallow launches while the bunks provide better support and less hull pressure points in the heavier rear end.

I had all rollers on my last trailer and it worked fine but in the wind it could be a ***** to load and line it up.
Now I have half rollers and half bunks and it's a breeze to use, way better.

19' Lifetimer
I did the same thing. Rollers on the front and 4' bunks on the back. Boat comes off the trailer easily and it's easy to get back on. Lots of support for the glass.I'd highly reccomend it.
Dave

What 'Adrianna3' said. Bunks, bunks, bunks! Rollers will eventually break and damage your boat. Bunks are the only thing you should be using especially considering the gravel roads your often going over on Vancouver Island. Safe, secure, self centering, no maintenance, it's a no brainer IMO.

Rollers all the way for me - on a fibreglass boat. Never had one break or jam, so much less resistance when letting off or on. Always self centering - when adjusted properly.

I would think bunks disperse the weight better overall. I've seen lots of glass boats with "hooks" in the hull from where they sit for ages on rollers. If you have a glass boat with those simulated lapstrakes it's often hard to line up the rollers so they don't rest on an "edge".

good idea --never thought of bunks and rollers ---- I have all rollers for a 23'6" alum hull ,I like it for being able to dump it in shallow water ---- but I like the idea of supporting all that weight at the rear---now I have something new to ponder over the winter ---- even in shallow water i would think the rear rollers or bunk should get some water to help float it off

Back