Trailer rebuild thread.

What a great way to spend a rainy windy Saturday!

Started to get things back together now.

IMG_2231.jpg

I taped off the spindles, wire wheeled the torque flex arms (they are cast metal), and applied a coat of dull zinc rich primer and a top coat of bright zinc rich primer to them as there was nothing on them before. I started replacing quite a few u-bolts and other bolts as well.

IMG_2230.jpg

I'm going all new LED's this go around. I have been pissing around with lights a couple of times since I owned this trailer and I said screw it. LED's are like double the price but they are also kind of double sealed. Apparently they last way longer and they are way brighter!

IMG_2228.jpg

I'm into this rebuild for a bit of coin now but still way cheaper than buying a new trailer. I hope to get another 5 years at least out of her. Here is a shot of the new brake/hub assemblies, new brake line kit, and all the bolts. That's the old wiring in the shot as well.

IMG_2233.jpg

Out with the old Tie Down brakes (non vented to boot).

IMG_2236.jpg

In with the new Tie Down brakes. Vented rotors and more corrosion resistent calipers than the old ones (I know I know they all corrode).

IMG_2234.jpg

Hope to have her almost all back together tomorrow.

This has been a fun project and should be rewarding in the end. A nice brake (pun intended) from the halibut issues:D!

My son was out most of the day with me and it seems like he want's to help out tomorrow as well (bonus!). I like spending quality time with him teaching him and learning from him on projects like this.

Cheers,
John

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice work I am envious.

Make sure you guys use your safety chains. I saw a boat from Washington shoot right off the trailer when his winch rope broke backing down the ramp a couple of years ago............ouch!!

Was afraid of the that slippage factor my self & removed the 12ft bottom bunks of the UHMW & just carped them
The longest sections hold the keel are, IMO holds the most weight, the shorter side bunks & the stern sections I left with the UHMW in less friction upon entry of the trailer
I drive my boat on the trailer & at times the ramps are steep, having the bunks too slick will slide the boat backwards before I get her on the hook

John( Sculpin) are you thinking of covering the side guide bunks with the UHMW, that will be my side project before summer
Besta luck bra

Kh

Was afraid of the that slippage factor my self & removed the 12ft bottom bunks of the UHMW & just carped them
The longest sections hold the keel are, IMO holds the most weight, the shorter side bunks & the stern sections I left with the UHMW in less friction upon entry of the trailer
I drive my boat on the trailer & at times the ramps are steep, having the bunks too slick will slide the boat backwards before I get her on the hook

John( Sculpin) are you thinking of covering the side guide bunks with the UHMW, that will be my side project before summer
Besta luck bra

Kh

My boat is aluminum so I want this stuff instead of carpet and wood which act's as a major corroding factor with aluminum. I had 2x6 with slick bunk material on there before and I am experiencing some very slight corrosion issues at the contact points. I hope this new system eliminates that issue. I am going to do a new bottom paint job in her as well with the newer Pettit Vivid hard paint bottom coat system. Mostly for asthetic's as I trailer the thing most of the time. The original bottom paint looks like sh*t IMHO.

Yes I am putting the UHMW on the side guides as well.

Well she's getting there. Got all the brakes installed. Wheels put back on.

IMG_2244.jpg

IMG_2241.jpg

I sure like the newer flexible brake line kits.

IMG_2242.jpg

This is my son's handy work. He installed the new jack, re worked the winch drum and zinc primed it, installed a new strap and hook, installed a new bow roller, and replaced all the bolts up front.

IMG_2243.jpg

Just have to do the lights now and then the bunks.

I might make it before all the TAC is used up Shawn LOL!

Must see the light though the tunnel. John seems its close to the finish line

Stick'n to the surge or ya do'n the electric over hydraulic

My Dexter system is a world of difference

Best luck
Kh

Must see the light though the tunnel. John seems its close to the finish line

Stick'n to the surge or ya do'n the electric over hydraulic

My Dexter system is a world of difference

Best luck
Kh

Sticking to the surge for now Kh. I have another project (too good to pass up) that got presented to me that I will start next week. I will start a new thread on that one.

Well all the lights are installed and working great. Whew that was the biggest one for me. Starting to get there. I know the weather is great this weekend and I should be out on the water but work has become crazy.

Here she is now. I just have to install the bunks.

IMG_2253.jpg

IMG_2254.jpg

I made up some adapter channels to weld into the bunk channels. They were 2 x 6 lumber with slick bunks before so I need to keep the same height. I'll post up tomorrow how it all works.

IMG_2252.jpg

I'm going to put this reflective tape on the front as required by law but I am also going to put some on the side guide bunk posts to help me see them in the dark.

IMG_2255.jpg

Shoudl have her ready to roll tomorrow afternoon.

Cheers,
Sculpin

What a long day. My fishing buddy Steve came out all afternoon and we got the bunks done. Sorry we were on a roll and didn't take any shots of attaching the UHMW. I even got the first mate to come out and help me finish it off after dinner.

IMG_2259.jpg

Jake putting on some little extra's in the reflective department. Nice to be able to see the posts on the side guides.

IMG_2264.jpg

All hooked up and ready to go.

IMG_2267.jpg

I know I know I might want to put the license plate back on there lol.

IMG_2268.jpg

I'll finish the thread off with some shots of the boat back on the trailer in the next couple of days. Thanks for following along so far.

Cheers,
Sculpin

Better than new, redesigned by craftsman!

very nicely done. So now that you're an expert, wanna come over and rebuild mine??? :D

Thanks finaddict. I have a pretty good idea what's involved now but I'm no expert lol :D. This was the first major rebuild I have done and hopefully the last for quite a few years :).

Better than new, redesigned by craftsman!

In some ways. I'm into the rebuild for around 1300 bucks in parts (labour not taken into acount) so still cheaper than buying new or even a used one in good shape. We built those fenders a few years ago and they are the cat's azz because they are 1/4" checker plate and you jump up and down on them, climb in and out of the boat, etc. all day long and they don't budge:cool::).

Wow, nice job Sculpin! Being a retired brain dead banker, it is always nice to be able to follow projects so far beyond my own abilities...... thanks for sharing!

SS

Back