Trailer - Island to Lower Mainland

Bragg

Hi everyone, have a dilemma that I'm hoping someone can help me figure out a solution to.

Looking to purchase a used boat trailer from the Island. I will be in Vcr for a short time in early May. Didn't plan on spending any time on the island, as we have a family burial to attend to in Vcr.

Seller is unwilling to get the trailer to the Lower mainland, which I totally understand. No blame there at all.

I have no problem taking the ferry across for a few hours, but taking a vehicle across and then back again (with empty trailer in tow) adds up $$ wise. Walk on fare is reasonable, but hesitant to add an ADDITIONAL $200-250 to the cost of my purchase.

Called BC Ferry and asked if I could "walk" an unloaded trailer on. Got an official NO on that one. Needs to be hooked up to a vehicle apparently.

Stuck. Anyone see a work around?

B

drive your boat over, meet seller at launch, strap trailer to boat and drive it home.. lol , seen it done lots, just never across the straight.

id like to see one picture of that....!

would never happen

EVER...

still need pics....cant find a single one and you know what they say....

drive your boat over, meet seller at launch, strap trailer to boat and drive it home.. lol , seen it done lots, just never across the straight.
X2.....this is how we got my Sangster over to Protection Island, and subsequently, how we will get it back......

so am i dense or are you all saying put the freakin trailer on top of the boat and float the dang thing across the straight like that....almost 60 years on this earth
i have never seen this. not to say its
not possible or anything wrong with it
unless the whole rig ends up in the drink
then i stand corrected...

Unfortunately the boat option would be a non-starter...would need the trailer to get the boat to the chuck to begin with.

ask someone on the Island to hitch up the trailer for you on their vehicle [whos coming over to Van anyway] with an offer to pay them the extra length charges for the one way trip on ferry plus a couple cases of beer. .....There, saved you some money. If no takers, just don't buy a trailer on the Island.

so how do u think it should work. someone suggests to bring the pre arranged purchase across on the ferry
for you ...and save u at best a little less then half your cost ....say fifty bucks..?

does it get better then that..?

i still want to see a picture of a floating
boat with its transport trailer on top.
Pleeeeease...

and on plain would be even better.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited:
so how do u think it should work. someone suggests to bring the pre arranged purchase across on the ferry
for you ...and save u at best a little less then half your cost ....say fifty bucks..?

does it get better then that..?

Was hoping that someone had done something similar in the past...was hoping I was missing something obvious. Not looking for a free ride.

I like the case(s) of beer idea...maybe just walk on, play the odds that someone will be coming back to the LML with an empty hitch. Pay the extra footage and go from there.

Appreciate all the responses.
B

Bragg, what size trailer are you looking to buy? My neighbor has a good trailer sitting in his backyard not doing much as his son's boat is now moored in the water. He asked me to help him sell it. Let me know if you are interested. Why cross the straight if you don't have to. I believe it is a 23' trailer that used to have trophy on it.

not even close casper ....can only imagine
the only way those rigs would handle would be like a pig in a feed trough.

very sloppy

Bragg, what size trailer are you looking to buy? My neighbor has a good trailer sitting in his backyard not doing much as his son's boat is now moored in the water. He asked me to help him sell it. Let me know if you are interested. Why cross the straight if you don't have to. I believe it is a 23' trailer that used to have trophy on it.

Thanks for the offer. Looking for a smaller trailer for a 16ft tinner.

...Hard to find a good one.

not even close casper ....can only imagine
the only way those rigs would handle would be like a pig in a feed trough.

very sloppy
I think that they only do that to launch and then anchor them off shore and go fishing and then come back and strap the trailer back on the head to the ramp. I was just trying to be Funny

Thanks for the offer. Looking for a smaller trailer for a 16ft tinner.

...Hard to find a good one.
Okay. Maybe you can get hold of a trucking company that runs flat deck to the island and coming back empty and see if they are willing to bring the trailer back at a discount.

Back