TOONA SHOOTOUT!! - Bamfield September 22,23,24

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but............... 4 to 5 M seas forecasted for that weekend.

Please don't hate the messenger, just a heads up - fish aren't worth putting yourself in harm's way. Just saying.

Shawn, What weather forecast do you use? The one I use doesn't allow me to look that far into the future.
Here's what I have to say about the subject. The few time's I have gone I went by myself. Once I met Tuna Don and his Osama crew there quite by accident. Going with another boat is a good thing, But if you don't feel comfortable going it alone maybe you shouldn't be there. If you don't think your boat can go there and come back you shouldn't be there.

In pespective I run to the Rat's Nose. Twenty Five mile's return daily, the Starfish 37, or more, the Swiftsure 25 or so, sometimes twice a day. You get the message. I would'nt do that or go anywhere if I thought someone was going to have to help me home. It's 75 mile off shore!!
The one thing I won't do is go tomorrow if the weather for the next day isn't even better. My last trip I did this and took a beating and the next day wa flat calm.Ya, I should have waited a day but if anything would have went wrong I would have been okay. It's a big ocean out there but as soon as you think you are alone someone comes by. We can all break down but, if weather is fine all will be good in the end. When all else fail's. Push the little red button on your epirb and Bamfields finest will be on there way.

Shawn, What weather forecast do you use? The one I use doesn't allow me to look that far into the future.
Here's what I have to say about the subject. The few time's I have gone I went by myself. Once I met Tuna Don and his Osama crew there quite by accident. Going with another boat is a good thing, But if you don't feel comfortable going it alone maybe you shouldn't be there. If you don't think your boat can go there and come back you shouldn't be there.

In pespective I run to the Rat's Nose. Twenty Five mile's return daily, the Starfish 37, or more, the Swiftsure 25 or so, sometimes twice a day. You get the message. I would'nt do that or go anywhere if I thought someone was going to have to help me home. It's 75 mile off shore!!
The one thing I won't do is go tomorrow if the weather for the next day isn't even better. My last trip I did this and took a beating and the next day wa flat calm.Ya, I should have waited a day but if anything would have went wrong I would have been okay. It's a big ocean out there but as soon as you think you are alone someone comes by. We can all break down but, if weather is fine all will be good in the end. When all else fail's. Push the little red button on your epirb and Bamfields finest will be on there way.

Ken, i subscribe to buoyweather.com and it is by far the most accurate i have ever used. I get 7 day forecasts that put environment Canada to shame. I was merely giving any guys that are travelling a long ways a heads up that the shootout may end up as a drinkfest - not that there's anything wrong with that.

It's still forecasting 3.5 to 4 M seas. Good luck to all as i will be coho fishing and prawning tucked up in one of our inlets somewhere that weekend

Buoyweather is awesome for sure!

Ya, we'll see what the weather doles out, if we gotta wait a day or whatever, most of the guys are prepared to do so I believe. Be it Fri, Sat, or Sun if need be, tunas will bleed...

Still a few sleeps for ma nature to get off her rag and be sweet to us!

Two boats from the lowermainland coming, I believe 3? local boats fishing as well.

Sculpin, I'm not posting pics until you commit with your rig!!!

I'm done. Pulling the boat back to the East side. With the stormy weather coming it's time to switch gears and pursue those grey ghost's of the Pacific Northwest:p:D.

Pulled mine yesterday.... :(

Yes it is sad. I was holding out for one last hopefully big weather window to run for those addicting buggers but I need some venison in the freezer. East Coast prawns and crab with venison steaks sounds pretty good right now.

I'll hit the tuna hard next year for sure! I'm am an addict now. Welcome me to the dark side because there is no going back:p.

You guys got kahuna's bigger than all of the great outdoors, just don't tie two of them things together at one time for extra weight...some folks on this forum take great offense to that.:D

Back