Tofino Report

SeaWolf

We left on Friday, planning to fish out of Port Alberni maybe Bamfield. With only 2 days to fish, Alberni looked too busy so we continued on to Tofino. I knew the third week of August is usually good there and I wanted to get my son his first Tyee. I thought Wilf Rock would be the place to go, but the girl at Jay's pointed me in another direction. Quick run out Friday, yielded one Pink, before the little one decided to empty his stomach in the boat. Next day we headed to Wilf Rock as it was closer to home. Way too much crap in the water. Talked him into venturing down the shoreline. Dropped the first Rod, before the second goes down, the first rod starts pounding. Give junior the rod, and after a long tug of war he brings in a 54 lb Hali.
RotationofSummer2007311.jpg

We brought no Hali gear so we had to do the gaff and bonk. Except the Gaffer (me) only manages to catch the 1/2 inch of flesh behind the fin, and there is no way it is going to support the 54 lb's of fish and the lure is now free. Out comes the net and we manage to re-gaff the sucker. Needless to say we are very tired, sweaty, and quite elated. Junior grabs the Cell Phone to call Mom, as Dad is resetting the lines. "Mom gotta go Dad has a fish on". Number 2 is on the Dock and slightly larger than #1.
RotationofSummer2007313.jpg
. This time I sink the Gaff, but of course it is right about the spot I should be Bonking. Number Two comes aboard slightly alive still, and needs to be subdued in the Cooler which is of course too small for the fish. All in all it was quite the tag team effort between father and son. Two 50 lb plus Halis on Lightweight Salmon Gear, 20 Lb test Mainline, 40 Lb Leaders. Caught on Spoons 20 feet or more off the bottom, in only 110 feet of water.
We decide to call it a Day as there is not much room left in the back of the boat with our new friends hanging out of the Cooler.
All the time I spent this summer targetting the suckers with the right gear right on the bottom and here is my best outting period. Nothing like the right place at the right time.

Great job Martin, I guess I should get Justin to take me out for halis next time............. maybe he could take a couple of days off of school.:D Striper Sniper

Back