Times Colonist Article

There was an article in todays Times Colonist about the halibut fight.I dont know how to post this article but in it a commercial fisherman states they paid about 50 dollars per pound for their quota and they each have about 15 thousand pounds each.Sounds pretty far fetched to me.

Who will get to fish for halibut?

Fishermen losing money awaiting decision on how the catch is split

By Carla Wilson, Times ColonistFebruary 12, 2011

Nobody's fishing for halibut right now, but the big flat fish is weighing heavily on the minds of coastal fishermen.
Scientific studies show halibut stocks are down, prompting the International Pacific Halibut Commission made up of Canadian and U.S. representatives to recommend shaving this year's coastal catch by 18.9 per cent to 41.07 million pounds, from 50.67 million pounds in 2010.
However, in B.C., the 2011 recommended share is 7.65 million pounds, up slightly from last year's 7.5 million pounds.
At issue is how the province's allocation is split. Commercial fishermen want to stick with what they've got, while recreational anglers are arguing for a bigger share.
The quota split has not yet been announced. Each group is eager to know how much it will get of what is one of the coast's most valuable fish. The decision is up to Fisheries and Oceans Canada. A spokesman with the file did not return calls Friday.
Normally, First Nations take about 500,000 pounds of halibut for food and ceremonial purposes. The bulk of what's left in the allocation has been split 88 per cent for commercial fishermen and 12 per cent for recreational fishermen.
Sports fishermen have been unhappy for years with their share and are lobbying for change.
Recreational fishermen are particularly concerned this year because they haven't been allowed to start fishing yet. A notice on the federal Fisheries Department's website states the recreational fishery won't open until Feb. 28. Last year, it opened on Feb. 1.
The delay means charter boat operators along the coast, many on Vancouver Island, are suffering because they have lost "critical winter dollars to keep the businesses rolling," Christopher Bos, chairman of the Victoria and area Sport Fishing Advisory Board committee, said in an interview Friday. He's not even sure if the recreational sector will be allowed to fish in March. No closing date for the season has been announced either.
Charter operators have had to tell pre-booked clients they can't go out. Bos said that means "all of those bookings you had for February are mad at you." Cancellations send clients elsewhere, he said, adding "businesses are being hurt by thousands and thousands of dollars."
An economic impact study on the value of recreational fishing for halibut in B.C. has not been done, Bos said. However, a provincial report said that sports fishing equalled 39 per cent of the combined value of all fishery and aquaculture activity in the province in 2007.
The recreational sector has asked that anglers be allowed to catch two halibut per day, and have three in their possession, Bos said. Last year's rules permitted one halibut to be caught daily, with two in possession.
A higher number makes sense because charter boat operators want their clients, often spending hundreds of dollars for a day on the ocean, to be able to catch more than one halibut, Bos said.
B.C. halibut had an export value of $35 million in 2008, a Fisheries and Oceans Canada groundfish management plan said. Within B.C., there are 436 commercial halibut licences, including communual licences issued to First Nations.
The opening date for the commercial fleet is March 12, closing Nov. 15. Word on the commercial quota typically comes within about a week, said Comox fisherman Lyle Pierce, who represents halibut interests. He also supports conservation and the limit put on the overall allocation by the IPHC.
Commercial fishermen put in several hundreds of thousands of dollars to buy halibut quota in their struggle to make a living, said Pierce, who also agrees with the total amount designated for B.C.
It costs about $50 per pound to buy halibut quota.
The average family holds 15,000 pounds, with the costs of a boat and gear on top of that, Pierce said.
To buy quota "we put our houses up, we put our vehicles up for collateral," he said.
Many commercial fishermen have lost much of their investment in quota because of the natural ups and downs in halibut stock. If the recreational sector cuts into the commercial share, "we just can't afford that," Pierce said.
He doesn't know what the landing price will be this year. At the end of the 2010 season, prices ended up at $6.50 to $6.80 per pound.
"I wish there were more fish out there for us so we weren't in this fight," said Pierce.
cjwilson@timescolonist.com
© Copyright (c) The Victoria Times Colonist

There was an article in todays Times Colonist about the halibut fight.I dont know how to post this article but in it a commercial fisherman states they paid about 50 dollars per pound for their quota and they each have about 15 thousand pounds each.Sounds pretty far fetched to me.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm confused. If it costs $50/lb to buy quota how can you possibly make money selling the fish for $6.50/lb? What am I missing here?

I'm confused. If it costs $50/lb to buy quota how can you possibly make money selling the fish for $6.50/lb? What am I missing here?

Yep, I assume that must be a mistake (maybe $5?? Although I still don't get it on the assumption that the quota is 'given' to them except for those that buy additional quota from the couch commercials) - last I checked, going into a business to lose $652000 a year wasn't a good business!

Anyone able to clarify what thats all about?

$50lb is to buy the quota forever......
ah, thus why the slipper skippers would rather milk it for as long as the government lets them. That being the case, I understand better. Thanks - obviously that article isn't clear with that point though - the way its stated just makes regular joe continue to scratch his head!

So for the guys who actually have paid $50 a pound to buy it (and some have)...you can understand them not wanting it just taken away and handed to someone else.

todays market value is $50\lb to buy the quota. but you are buying a percentage so if you bought 10lbs for $500 and the TAC drops by 50% the following year then you now have 5lbs that cost you $500. If you do lease the quota it is for one year and the terms are agreed to before the quota gets temporarily transfered. basically it is about a 15yr payout if you buy quota as you need to borrow the money and pay interest.

yes the ones you call gifted are pre 2003, but the majority of licenses and quota have been bought and sold since then.

Also if you take the 6.5 mill commercial tac and divide it by the 435 licenses you end up with approx 15,000lbs per license.

hard to believe a news person could screw that up...lol

Wel the last time I checked if you bought stocks and it tanked you dont get your money back does BREX sound familiar?????? btw thats todays"price" I know of some who paid 3 bucks a lb a few years back the price goes up and down so its not always doom and gloom,(sounds like the stock market doesnt it) they are a victim of there own kind and greed is what has raised the price as they hold out for the higest bidder there alot of "quotas" being traded for other species as well not only money.
again THEY themselves are a victim of there own doing....

Wolf

Sh*#@T I can't believe my F-350 is only worth $20,000.00 now...its only three years old.....I'm pissed.....can someone explain this to me......

todays market value is $50\lb to buy the quota. but you are buying a percentage so if you bought 10lbs for $500 and the TAC drops by 50% the following year then you now have 5lbs that cost you $500. If you do lease the quota it is for one year and the terms are agreed to before the quota gets temporarily transfered. basically it is about a 15yr payout if you buy quota as you need to borrow the money and pay interest.

yes the ones you call gifted are pre 2003, but the majority of licenses and quota have been bought and sold since then.

Also if you take the 6.5 mill commercial tac and divide it by the 435 licenses you end up with approx 15,000lbs per license.

hard to believe a news person could screw that up...lol

Wel the last time I checked if you bought stocks and it tanked you dont get your money back does BREX sound familiar?????? btw thats todays"price" I know of some who paid 3 bucks a lb a few years back the price goes up and down so its not always doom and gloom,(sounds like the stock market doesnt it) they are a victim of there own kind and greed is what has raised the price as they hold out for the higest bidder there alot of "quotas" being traded for other species as well not only money.
again THEY themselves are a victim of there own doing....

Wolf

wolf you are confusing the least price with the purchase price... huge differece. Also I was just trying to explain how the quota system works, not defending it.

also the biggest buyer of commercial quota is DFO. They still have 1 more round to buy picfi fish and DFO is the one who has pushed the purchase price that high as they are in a market place with a blank check book.

OK, I get it now but what a screwed up system!

It is a little complicated but once you are involved in the industry it makes sense. The leasing, cameras, and everything else the commercial sector has done has made them the most accountable fleet in Canada and possibly the world. It didn't come around overnight it took years of dedication and hard work to achieve the management system that is in place right now. In my opinion it is part of the reason that BC did not get trampled on at IPHC this year.

It is a little complicated but once you are involved in the industry it makes sense. The leasing, cameras, and everything else the commercial sector has done has made them the most accountable fleet in Canada and possibly the world. It didn't come around overnight it took years of dedication and hard work to achieve the management system that is in place right now. In my opinion it is part of the reason that BC did not get trampled on at IPHC this year.

Don't forget the include the "Sport fisherman" in why Canadians did not get trampled on at the IPHC- we are also very accountable for our fish

Derby...sorry I'm on your side but I disagree there are many improvements that NEED to be implemented to make both "sport & FN" fisheries truly accountable. This is one of our sectors weaknesses, our ability to confidently defend our catch data. This has hurt us many times over the years..."early timed Fraser" is just one example.

Derby...sorry I'm on your side but I disagree there are many improvements that NEED to be implemented to make both "sport & FN" fisheries truly accountable. This is one of our sectors weaknesses, our ability to confidently defend our catch data. This has hurt us many times over the years..."early timed Fraser" is just one example.

Agree there can alway be improvment-In all sectors.

How that has anything to do with 436 guys getting 88%, I don't know but regardless...
I fully support better catch monitoring and if you didn't know the SFI has been leading the way in catch monitoring pilots and our Elog project with DFO. More to come in the future
The key point is that for 87 years we have entrusted the halibut biomass to the IPHC and that has worked very well. Our reporting is acceptable to the IPHC....that is the bottom line! It is time tested and has been used to provide what appears to be a solid science.
The commercial sector was quite happy to lease us quota when we were over our 12%, they trusted the catch monitoring system when they were leasing us quota. If we were remaining quiet and accepted our 12%, no one would have said a word.

Catch Monitoring

I find it interesting that Catch Monitoring is being used to attack the Sports & Recreational fishing sector.

It is claimed that Commercial Halibut fishermen have log books, and video monitoring of their fishing while at sea. All combined with GPS readouts and other data. At the same time it is claimed that the Sports sector has nothing like it and our numbers are made up out of thin air.

Has anyone here ever asked themselves WHY the commies have such intensive monitoring of their catch?

Could it be that they have lied and cheated for years and now must suffer total monitoring to keep them honest?

I find it interesting that Catch Monitoring is being used to attack the Sports & Recreational fishing sector.

It is claimed that Commercial Halibut fishermen have log books, and video monitoring of their fishing while at sea. All combined with GPS readouts and other data. At the same time it is claimed that the Sports sector has nothing like it and our numbers are made up out of thin air.

Has anyone here ever asked themselves WHY the commies have such intensive monitoring of their catch?

Could it be that they have lied and cheated for years and now must suffer total monitoring to keep them honest?

I will answer that for you. The reason for the cameras and monitoring was to account for rockfish that the fleets were at one time disguarding. The way it was set up in the beginning was once you hit your rockfish quota you had to throw any more you caught back dead(absolutly unacceptable) with no proper accounting. Rockfish are the driving force at the moment for the majority of SARA listings and these listings have the ability to shut down entire fisheries, even sports fisheries. As the commercials are the largest user group of the resource it was the best place to start. I can tell you now that the south coast is not looking good for rockfish that are said to be a long living species, especially poor south of Brooks.

There is no doubt that there WERE dishonest fishermen out there but the cameras and monitoring have cleaned it up completly. Now can you tell me that all sports fishermen are honest?

Last edited by a moderator:
Back