Thrasher-Gabriola Reports

fishin_magician

Hey folks...anyone dredging Thrasher, the Grande, et al. recently? Any reports?

Cheers,

I had two charters there yesterday and had lots of ling cod, lots of pacific cod, several undersized springs and one blueback but no keepers in the spring department. LOTS of bait showing and lots of fish right on bottom. Did manage full limites of crab for both charters.

It was not the best weather - wind and waves were brutal off Thrasher - and that might have added to the final total.

Fishing Guide
www.invictuscharters.com
BC Outdoors Pro Staff
www.fishingvancouverisland.org

Wow Ger, two charters in one day at the end of mar. Good on ya, you might just have to fire up a couple of more boats for the winter months.. lol..;)
Were the tides ripping whilst hooking all of those cod??-dirty[:p]

Wow Ger, two charters in one day at the end of mar. Good on ya, you might just have to fire up a couple of more boats for the winter months.. lol..;)
Were the tides ripping whilst hooking all of those cod??-dirty[:p]

quote:Originally posted by Fishing Guide

Cheers,

I had two charters there yesterday and had lots of ling cod, lots of pacific cod, several undersized springs and one blueback but no keepers in the spring department. LOTS of bait showing and lots of fish right on bottom. Did manage full limites of crab for both charters.

It was not the best weather - wind and waves were brutal off Thrasher - and that might have added to the final total.

Fishing Guide
www.invictuscharters.com
BC Outdoors Pro Staff

Thanks for the report. Keep us briefed on how things are progressing over there...it's gotten very quiet the last few days everywhere on the east side of the "Salish Sea" (Vancouver and Howe Sound).

quote:Originally posted by Fishing Guide

Cheers,

Fishing Guide
www.invictuscharters.com
BC Outdoors Pro Staff

Thanks for the report. Keep us briefed on how things are progressing over there...it's gotten very quiet the last few days everywhere on the east side of the "Salish Sea" (Vancouver and Howe Sound).

Cheers All,

Dirtdog67: Yeah...it is either feast or famine. Don't mind the doubles on nice days but cold, rainy and windy don't make for 12 hour days. Combined with slow salmon fishing makes it a long day but I keep reminding myself I could be inside an office and I smile. :D And the tide was rippin' good offshore. I had 2 lines down and both were 45 to the stern. No chance to arrange the charters with two wanting the same day.

Fishin_Magician: Will keep you posted. Next charter is at the end of the week. Might take a burn myself as all this talk of prawns has made me want to drop a few of the new traps.

Fishing Guide
www.invictuscharters.com
BC Outdoors Pro Staff

Cheers All,

Dirtdog67: Yeah...it is either feast or famine. Don't mind the doubles on nice days but cold, rainy and windy don't make for 12 hour days. Combined with slow salmon fishing makes it a long day but I keep reminding myself I could be inside an office and I smile. :D And the tide was rippin' good offshore. I had 2 lines down and both were 45 to the stern. No chance to arrange the charters with two wanting the same day.

Fishin_Magician: Will keep you posted. Next charter is at the end of the week. Might take a burn myself as all this talk of prawns has made me want to drop a few of the new traps.

Fishing Guide
www.invictuscharters.com
BC Outdoors Pro Staff

Thanks for the report. I had a buddy get a 8lbs spring of the soutt end cable cut on galiano on Sat. I havent heard any other reports from thrasher, Porlier or active.

quote:Originally posted by Jimmy

Thanks for the report. I had a buddy get a 8lbs spring of the soutt end cable cut on galiano on Sat. I havent heard any other reports from thrasher, Porlier or active.

Anyone fishin' these areas this weekend? Let us know!!!!

thought that lingcod was closed at this time for the geogia straight,is it open any where on the inside. thxs

Hey Guys

I was wondering if anyone could give me some tips on fishing Gabriola Island. I live in the Okanagan and I own a 20 foot Hewes Searun. Is this boat fine to run from Vancouver to the island in good weather? Also I was thinking of heading there in late May or early June, what is the fishing like this time of year? Has anyone stayed at Pages Marina and if so what was it like? Any tips on the topic would be appreciated.
Thanks
JAC

hewesonthefraser.jpg

Cheers Jac,

Give me a shout one night and I will provide all the info you need. Pages is not too bad but there are closer places if you are planning on fishing Gabriola.

Fishing should be quite good by late May or June.

I was out at Gabriola today ... with limits of crabs and prawns.

Fishing Guide
www.invictuscharters.com
BC Outdoors Pro Staff

If you like very rustic cabins, Pages is pretty good experience and not too expensive for a cabin - about 100 bucks a nite as I recall, plus moorage. I like it there but also like caming out in the boat and staying at Sylva Bay Resort moorage with the pub just steps away.
I have walked to Sylva Bay resort pub for dinner from Pages but it takes several minutes to walk it on back street. Alternatively save your 100 bucks and stay at Sylva Bay resort dock and crash in the boat. Spend 100 bucks at the pub for dinner instead. Pages is in Sylva Bay which is just a few minutes cruise in from Thrasher or east Gabriola ( Grande -whalebone) May through mid July can have amazing days of 8-28 lb chinook (not many bigger). If you want to fish Entrance - Fingers area then its a bit of run from Pages. Fish mainly on bottom in 110-200ft at SE Thrasher and 120-180 at East gabriola using small spoons best although splatterback hootchie and bait can work well at times. Sometimes the fish are found much farther offshore at Thrasher or East Gabriloa in 90-150'( as in like last spring off Fingers)

Just wondering if there has been any action...may run across this week if it all comes together.

Getbent

quote:Originally posted by getbent

Just wondering if there has been any action...may run across this week if it all comes together.

Getbent

Hey Getbent - I heard that 'offshore' fishery I mentioned in this forum has started. 3-4 miles off Grande or fingers. 120-140 ft, bait or green/silver spoons or splatterback hootch. Fish are up to about 18 lbs

Ran across to Thrasher today...just because.

Marked some bait and a few fish, nothing outstanding, probably still to early.
Got our limit of greenies, lings and rockies...it was time for some white meat anyhow.
Kinda kicked up on the way home but a good run all around.

Cheers...Getbent

Back