Aluminum Design from AUS

tbeatm

Hey all,

I've been reading through countless threads on the forum about welded aluminum builds and recommendations over the last while, appreciate the knowledge around here. Thanks to the folks I have already reached out to with some specific questions about their builds/boats.

A couple of questions;
I was wondering if anyone has seen the Cope 22ft 6in Walk-thru Cabin OB in person or had one built? Cope 22
Also wondering if anyone has used plans from this Australian aluminum design site - example boat https://cncmarine.com.au/product/6100ht/

Would look at getting a bare hull done, maybe slightly more finish depending. Thinking about a 19-22ft forward full or sport cabin, no sleeping requirement. Prefer self bailing and one main and one kicker if anyone knows of a design I've missed on the well known design sites!

Thanks

Did you check out Specmar? I had a 24 foot sportfisher built last year (1147) and am very happy with how it turned out. They do a bunch of different hulls and configurations. https://www.specmar.com/aluminum-boat-plans/monohull-boats/ Maybe the 1009... When I built mine, I designed the interior to spec and crammed a whole lot in there. The plans though come as a basic shell inside and then it is the builder who fleshes it out to whatever spec they are trying to hit. The boat Artemis is mine: https://www.artisanmarine.ca/

Editing to add that the Aussie design looks similar to the HT21 from Metal Boat Kits. https://metalboatkits.com/product/ht21-21-foot-6-4m-hardtop-cuddy-aluminum-boat-kit/ I know Artisan has built a few of those and I actually looked at one of those builds they had completed before I settled on the 1147.

Last edited:
Did you check out Specmar? I had a 24 foot sportfisher built last year (1147) and am very happy with how it turned out. They do a bunch of different hulls and configurations. https://www.specmar.com/aluminum-boat-plans/monohull-boats/ Maybe the 1009... When I built mine, I designed the interior to spec and crammed a whole lot in there. The plans though come as a basic shell inside and then it is the builder who fleshes it out to whatever spec they are trying to hit. The boat Artemis is mine: https://www.artisanmarine.ca/

Editing to add that the Aussie design looks similar to the HT21 from Metal Boat Kits. https://metalboatkits.com/product/ht21-21-foot-6-4m-hardtop-cuddy-aluminum-boat-kit/ I know Artisan has built a few of those and I actually looked at one of those builds they had completed before I settled on the 1147.
Yeah I did check out Specmar, I think I saved the 3062 in my design bookmarks. You have a beautiful boat, thanks for sending that over.

I actually also have that HT21 saved as well, the picture of the blue actual boat hooked me! Cool to know they have built a few of those too, thanks a lot for the info.

Hey all,

I've been reading through countless threads on the forum about welded aluminum builds and recommendations over the last while, appreciate the knowledge around here. Thanks to the folks I have already reached out to with some specific questions about their builds/boats.

A couple of questions;
I was wondering if anyone has seen the Cope 22ft 6in Walk-thru Cabin OB in person or had one built? Cope 22
Also wondering if anyone has used plans from this Australian aluminum design site - example boat https://cncmarine.com.au/product/6100ht/

Would look at getting a bare hull done, maybe slightly more finish depending. Thinking about a 19-22ft forward full or sport cabin, no sleeping requirement. Prefer self bailing and one main and one kicker if anyone knows of a design I've missed on the well known design sites!

Thanks
I think that Cope 22 is a new product, they took the 22 center console and put a cabin on it but kept the floor all at the same height so you can walk right through it. That’s a pretty good idea. Bridgeview makes something similar too, but you would have to buy a finished product from them if they are still building them for the public.

With the smaller cabin boats, I would have a windshield that was forward raked, if not perpendicular at a minimum. Rearward sloping windshield in a small boat makes it feel cramped in my opinion.

Bridgeview 22

IMG_9990.jpeg

Last edited:
I think that Cope 22 is a new product, they took the 22 center console and put a cabin on it but kept the floor all at the same height so you can walk right through it. That’s a pretty good idea. Bridgeview makes something similar too, but you would have to buy a finished product from them if they are still building them for the public.

With the smaller cabin boats, I would have a windshield that was forward raked, if not perpendicular at a minimum. Rearward sloping windshield in a small boat makes it feel cramped in my opinion.

Bridgeview 22

View attachment 105888
Those Bridgeview boats are nice too. They do still make them up in Rupert. I had a Tom Mac Everglide 18.5 foot with a pod before they sold to Bridgeview and it was 100% awesome sauce. Looks like that is what you have in your profile pic @Aquaholic. They had a hollow portion in the hull that would fill with water for ballast when you were off-plane and then empty out once you got up on step. The Bridgeview guys told me that they don't do that design anymore because Coast Guard couldn't wrap their heads around the design and how the boat wouldn't sink. I can't remember offhand now but when I priced out the Bridgeview boats I was surprised by how high the price was.

Bridgeview 22

View attachment 105888
Couldn't agree more, one of my notes from reading the other threads actually references your post saying similar about the forward raked windshield. Bridgeview looks like a great company for sure, just not in my budget from what I can see, and it looks like they deal more with complete boat packages instead of design/kit/bare hull options. Appreciate your insight into the welded aluminum boats as usual!

Hey all,

A couple of questions;

Thanks
Look up Jasper Marine on Instagram, they've built a few. I'm not a fan of the design personally, I'd rather have a cuddy and not a big bathtub in the bow in case I take a green one over the bow.

I have a 23' cope built by Walker, I'm a real fan of the design, but it has its drawbacks. Every boat is a compromise.

Look up Jasper Marine on Instagram, they've built a few. I'm not a fan of the design personally, I'd rather have a cuddy and not a big bathtub in the bow in case I take a green one over the bow.

I have a 23' cope built by Walker, I'm a real fan of the design, but it has its drawbacks. Every boat is a compromise.
What don't you like about it?

So that is a Cope design, was looking at one in my marina, very well put together with quality welds and fit. The upright windshield looks great. I like it, mind you a centre console style has always been a favourite of mine, so that open bow (tub) is what I’d want.

What are the drawbacks for your use of your Walker/Cope 23?

The big step down into the cabin gets a bit old sometimes, but the trade-off is much better windage profile when trolling or docking in wind. If the cabin was higher you could also have a nice overhang on the deck to hide out under from the sun/weather (think kingfisher 3425). The cuddy is just big enough to sleep in, but only barely, but I hardly sleep in it so it makes sense to have it small.

Every boat has compromises, whether they be in design or budget, but the beauty of a custom is you get to decide on those compromises yourself when you build.

The big step down into the cabin gets a bit old sometimes, but the trade-off is much better windage profile when trolling or docking in wind. If the cabin was higher you could also have a nice overhang on the deck to hide out under from the sun/weather (think kingfisher 3425). The cuddy is just big enough to sleep in, but only barely, but I hardly sleep in it so it makes sense to have it small.

Every boat has compromises, whether they be in design or budget, but the beauty of a custom is you get to decide on those compromises yourself when you build.
Do you think having the flush deck would make the proportions way out of whack though too? It's a remarkably balanced design for such a small boat. I'd hate to see get all pope-mobily. How high is the roof off the back deck now?

Do you think having the flush deck would make the proportions way out of whack though too? It's a remarkably balanced design for such a small boat. I'd hate to see get all pope-mobily. How high is the roof off the back deck now?
You had commented on the Bridgeview 22 cabin boat being out of proportion, thinking you sketched a railing to try to balance it out a bit. I assume a raised Cope 23 would have the same consequence. Bruce will do a drawing for you, he probably has one on file already.

Feel like pushing the cabin a foot forward and a slight rake to the windshield would make sense on the Cope 22ft 6. Slightly smaller bathtub at the front and a little more dance floor. If its possible? How does that front area drain?

So that is a Cope design, was looking at one in my marina, very well put together with quality welds and fit. The upright windshield looks great. I like it, mind you a centre console style has always been a favourite of mine, so that open bow (tub) is what I’d want.
I own a Jasper Centre Console and his general design sense is great. The boat is functionally laid out and the fit/finish is amazing. The main attraction is the 'greenhouse' glasswork as well as the top notch welding. He does nice upholstery work as well. Not sure if the Defender is a COPE design - his centre console was an adaptation of a Specmar design, but I know he's worked with other designers as well.

From the website, it looks like he's only building that 22' Defender model these days. If you want to see one in the wild, I saw one moored at Burrard Civic in a slip near the coast guard station (we may be talking about the same one). I think that Inlet Marine is their local dealer, although you could just go over to Gibsons and buy direct.

I bought my centre console used, but called up Jasper to get some details - great guy and he was happy to talk.

Last edited:
Feel like pushing the cabin a foot forward and a slight rake to the windshield would make sense on the Cope 22ft 6. Slightly smaller bathtub at the front and a little more dance floor. If its possible? How does that front area drain?
If you look on the sides, you will see a cowl in front of the side strake. That's the drain discharge for the front deck.

Also, my understanding is that the vertical / forward rake on the windshield significantly reduces glare.

Last edited:
My last boat, which was a similar size, had a flush deck, bigger and taller cabin, so I have experience both ways. Stepping down into the cabin is a pain, but on this size boat it makes sense. Having a taller cabin really makes a boat this size handle like garbage in the wind, and the aesthetic isn't great.

Roof is about 5 feet.

Back