Things I'm looking for at the boat show. Need advice.

Not stainless Rain, polished aluminum frame. They would be quite heavy if made from stainless. They are already heavier than others as they are well padded.

I've had the Garlick deck chair. Stainless folding with white cushions. They are very comfortable...in fact my clients usually hesitate to sit down early on during a trip but once in the chair they all comment how comfy it is. Then it is hard to get them to give it up. I don't think Garlick makes them anymore and I got the last old stock that Trotac had. There are others that look identical. The last one lasted a long time and only had to be retired when a really big customer lost his balance trying to get up to play a fish and fell back onto the arm rest....he ended up bending and kinking the metal tube frame. I kept it for parts. These chairs don't mark the deck and resist sliding around. I had to put a star board rub plate on the gunnel where the back of the chair tends to get pushed into and rub on. This just prevents it rubbing on the gelcoat. View attachment 42995

I second these chairs.

A good guide buddy had these for years. Most important they don't slide around on the deck making for a safe ride.

Well I actually never realised that the yami it came with had remote steer. It seems to push it ok for now. I may just wait until it craps out.
You might be waiting a while. :) Those engines are good for many 1000 hours. If it’s ugly out you can always troll off a main. A heavy boat like that doesn’t get pushed around as much either.

You might be waiting a while. :) Those engines are good for many 1000 hours. If it’s ugly out you can always troll off a main. A heavy boat like that doesn’t get pushed around as much either.
The first couple times I ran it it seemed like it was in its last legs. The old owner admittedly didn't fish much, you can tell. The steering also seems wonky, it doesn't turn to Starboard very well (maxes out) and it wanders to port slowly so I'm constantly adjusting. I also want to raise the motor up because it sits in the water fully trimmed up, seems to be ok while on step. We hit some waves while trolling a couple weeks ago and the entire motor dipped into the water.

So your kicker is mounted about 5 feet off of center. With the motor centred it’s going to naturally want to steer to PORT and won’t steer very well to starboard. You Should try hand steering, if you can, and figure out what angle the motor is at when the boat runs straight. That is the angle you want as your neutral or dead center. If you can’t adjust your motor through the steering you almost need to offset the kicker bracket.

So your kicker is mounted about 5 feet off of center. With the motor centred it’s going to naturally want to steer to PORT and won’t steer very well to starboard. You Should try hand steering, if you can, and figure out what angle the motor is at when the boat runs straight. That is the angle you want as your neutral or dead center. If you can’t adjust your motor through the steering you almost need to offset the kicker bracket.
Right now my max steer angle to starboard is about 10 degrees off center. And about 100 to port lol. It was definitely never set up correctly.

Back