Things I'm looking for at the boat show. Need advice.

Rain City

Crew Member
Two things I'm grabbing for sure, deck chairs and some new traps. Does anyone have any experience or opinions on either? I wanted to get some of those dual function (crab and prawn) collapsible traps. Anyone try them. And for the chairs do I really need to spend $250 + or are the cheaper ones okay? I saw a bunch on amazon for under $100 but I'd really like to try them out at the show. What stores carry this stuff at the show?

The jollygood combination traps are durable, inexpensive, and work very well. I've used the brand for over 15 years, and the combi style for close to 10.

Two things I'm grabbing for sure, deck chairs and some new traps. Does anyone have any experience or opinions on either? I wanted to get some of those dual function (crab and prawn) collapsible traps. Anyone try them. And for the chairs do I really need to spend $250 + or are the cheaper ones okay? I saw a bunch on amazon for under $100 but I'd really like to try them out at the show. What stores carry this stuff at the show?

We have had a pair of the Wise Deck chairs for half a dozen years now and they are still in great shape. We picked ours up at either Pirate's Day at HC or the similar sale at Independent Shipwright for some sale price. They have definitely stood up for us. Hopefully someone has found a quality less expensive item or this is on sale at the show. Good luck.

I have heard mixed reviews on the collapsible traps.

I am looking to buy a couple of Ladner traps from PNT this year. They had them at the show a few years ago but not sure if there was any special pricing for them. For the cost of ropes, buoy and weight, I would go for a sturdy SS trap that can take the abuse. Just my 2 cents.

I am looking to buy a couple of Ladner traps from PNT this year. They had them at the show a few years ago but not sure if there was any special pricing for them. For the cost of ropes, buoy and weight, I would go for a sturdy SS trap that can take the abuse. Just my 2 cents.
I have two stainless and two coated. They stack ok. A also have my square crab traps zap strapped assembled so when I head out on a trip its a whack of crap to bring along. I figured maybe a couple collapsible ones I could take when I'm going on a trip and aren't looking to fill the freezer. (Although I do have a deep freeze on the new commander :cool:)

I can second the iffy reviews on the combination/collapsible traps. Ladners are the best prawn trap out there in regards to both design/quality as well as their catch rate. Just my two pesos.

The Jolly Good traps work quite well for crabs, we always get lots in ours when we put them down and it is nice to have them folded and out of the way when not in use.

Tried prawning with them a few times - always with a round Ladner-style trap on the same set. They never did well for prawns and we don't even bother dropping anymore. They were quickly replaced by some new round traps which we stick to now - they fish well and stack nicely.

These chairs didn’t last a year on my buddies boat and I think they are around $150 each. Had to macgyer it to make it through the weekend.

Attachments

• E2FB3CAE-5738-4DD5-9D8C-1803B8720F84.png
    E2FB3CAE-5738-4DD5-9D8C-1803B8720F84.png
    880.1 KB · Views: 120
Interesting, mine are going on 4 or 5 years and they're under $90 shipped nowadays. I'd buy them again if needed.
Strange. The other chair was starting to fray as well. And I wouldn’t say that he uses his boat as much as many guys. Not too many hours on it but maybe we are all just fat asses lol.

Strange. The other chair was starting to fray as well. And I wouldn’t say that he uses his boat as much as many guys. Not too many hours on it but maybe we are all just fat asses lol.

You ain't alone on the gravitationally challenged bit! lol

I bought a couple of jolly traps last year and they do catch crabs but are a ***** to get the crabs out due to the netting. They grab on and kind of get stuck. With the square metal ones you can just shake them down to one side.
Also tried them for prawning and were very poor compared to my round Ladner traps.
Probably won’t use them again.

I've had the Garlick deck chair. Stainless folding with white cushions. They are very comfortable...in fact my clients usually hesitate to sit down early on during a trip but once in the chair they all comment how comfy it is. Then it is hard to get them to give it up. I don't think Garlick makes them anymore and I got the last old stock that Trotac had. There are others that look identical. The last one lasted a long time and only had to be retired when a really big customer lost his balance trying to get up to play a fish and fell back onto the arm rest....he ended up bending and kinking the metal tube frame. I kept it for parts. These chairs don't mark the deck and resist sliding around. I had to put a star board rub plate on the gunnel where the back of the chair tends to get pushed into and rub on. This just prevents it rubbing on the gelcoat. chair.jpg

I've had the Garlick deck chair. Stainless folding with white cushions. They are very comfortable...in fact my clients usually hesitate to sit down early on during a trip but once in the chair they all comment how comfy it is. Then it is hard to get them to give it up. I don't think Garlick makes them anymore and I got the last old stock that Trotac had. There are others that look identical. The last one lasted a long time and only had to be retired when a really big customer lost his balance trying to get up to play a fish and fell back onto the arm rest....he ended up bending and kinking the metal tube frame. I kept it for parts. These chairs don't mark the deck and resist sliding around. I had to put a star board rub plate on the gunnel where the back of the chair tends to get pushed into and rub on. This just prevents it rubbing on the gelcoat. View attachment 42995
Awesome thanks! Are those stainless? I saw some knockoffs on Amazon.

Back