The real truth on SRKW

The most credible scientists of the day say the whales are in distress, their prognosis is poor, and action in the form of reducing physical and acoustic disturbance is needed

Agreed but container traffic though the Salish sea is expected to grow by 300% over the next 15 years. So you can slow down container traffic but the population increase in BC/Canada (the demand) will far out do anything you try to do to mitigate it. Almost all of our ports are seeing major expansion projects https://www.portvancouver.com/development-and-permits/development/centerm-expansion-project/

upload_2018-10-1_15-2-46.png

So then to mitigate acoustic you have to look at the whale watchers and recreational boats. Whale watchers bagging these whales is a MAJOR concern. The whale watching lobby looks like they have managed to keep it down to 200m. So pretty big win for them. I like the idea of the states of banning whale watching on tuesdays, wednesdays and thursdays. Thats 3 full days of being unimpeded.

The science says sports fishing in the JDF is screwed, Endangered puget sound/ Fraser chinook all migrate through there and it's the area where the SRKW do hang out.

Sport Fishing community is going to start to hammer east coast vancouver island stocks, will see how they fair

Why are we talking about oil on this thread? Everything I bring it up its a conspiracy theory apparently now same people are bringing it up. I thought we were talking about the SFI message?

What gets me with these groups is they never put their money where their mouth is, it's these same groups that are against hunting. It's the sportsfisherman that puts his money back into the system, we are the ones that help fund the hatcheries we are the ones that donate time to help sustain these fisheries. Same as hunting, it's the hunter that donates time and money towards stewardship programs and wildlife funds. What do these groups donate towards ? their money goes towards protests and shutting things down very little I imagine goes towards any programs that actually helps any wildlife in any form.
They are just anti, that's all they know, it's bread into them to oppose what ever there is to oppose.

Agreed.

This article - see below - has also been posted via link in the "Strategy for the N&SRKW" thread over in the saltwater forum. It appeared in today's Star Metro paper and written by Wanyee Li. It reports on restaurants removing salmon from their menu in a [ useless] attempt to save salmon for SRKW to eat! lol

I have also included a link below to Dr. Peter Ross's recent study that suggests PCB's are the number 1 issue causing SRKW heath issues.

Perhaps the SFI could propose that Wanyee Li write another article only this time pointing out about the latest study co-authored by Dr. Peter Ross , Vice President of Research, Ocean Wise/ Van Aqua. Maybe also pointing out the existence of SFI and SRKW.org . Will the press/media be willing to present the view of SFI or Dr. Peter Ross and bring up the real truth on SRKW ?

IMG_6070.jpg -------------- article in Star Metro

https://globalnews.ca/news/4498204/study-pollutants-pcbs-greatest-threat-orca/ --------- link to study about PCB's likely being #1 problem in the cause of SRKW declining health.

:rolleyes: Can we not start it again. Comparing our views to NGO's is ridiculous.
He's from California... Needn't say more on the matter.

Sport fishermen essentially fund the whole hatchery operations throughout Canada. We do more for the environment than 90 percent of the uninformed David Suzuki following Luddites out there, merely through our spending money on fishing licences and participating in massive fundraising fishing derbies.

If seal populations have boomed due to increased food availability due to all the hatcheries, then we have upset an equilibrium that needs to be brought back into balance.

Who is funding the ENGO? This smacks of another Soros campaign to destroy the middle class while allowing big business to thrive. Having a person posting from California also stinks of a disinformation campaign.

hmmmm the emphasis on predator control part had me cringe as the general public is not ready for that .... likely will turn off the public from supporting srkw.org

What about the large vessel traffic/
What about toxic sewage and PCB's being biggest issue for health of SRKW?

My head spun a bit.

That is an interesting question, There seems to be already a group Pacific Balance Pinniped Society that was doing a seal controls campaign. Can't say I see the logic of putting a lot of funding into this but perhaps SFI is trying to plant the seed in the public mind that this is a serious issue.

Maybe they feel like this issue is not getting any media attention, PCB and Vessel traffic is making it into the media cycle.

He's from California... Needn't say more on the matter.

Sport fishermen essentially fund the whole hatchery operations throughout Canada. We do more for the environment than 90 percent of the uninformed David Suzuki following Luddites out there, merely through our spending money on fishing licences and participating in massive fundraising fishing derbies.

If seal populations have boomed due to increased food availability due to all the hatcheries, then we have upset an equilibrium that needs to be brought back into balance.

Who is funding the ENGO? This smacks of another Soros campaign to destroy the middle class while allowing big business to thrive. Having a person posting from California also stinks of a disinformation campaign.

Yeah, that's it George Soros has taken a break from funding the deep state to get involved in BC sport fishing politics. All part of his liberal master plan o_O. I'm from Vancouver, those are just avatars, just like "peahead" doesnt really have a pea for a head and "fishbrain" has a human brain.

My head spun a bit.

Why do we have to censor facts to avoid offending people? Veritas vos Librebit!

Just compare the leopard seals in the antarctic ripping apart penguins to the seals here demolishing the salmon population here, and you will get all the bleeding hearts here fogging up their black rimmed glasses with all the tears streaming down their beards. We need to show seals as the merciless killing machines they are, get them some bad press and turn some hearts and minds to accepting the truth!

Just compare the leopard seals in the antarctic ripping apart penguins to the seals here demolishing the salmon population here, and you will get all the bleeding hearts here fogging up their black rimmed glasses with all the tears streaming down their beards. We need to show seals as the merciless killing machines they are, get them some bad press and turn some hearts and minds to accepting the truth!

I agree with you, but your promoting the idea to defeatist fisherman and a few undercover marxists that hate how you live.

Good luck, but I’m seeing this get much worse before it gets better. The well meaning people here that have been happy to compromise over the years have cemented their own fishing demise.

Yeah, that's it George Soros has taken a break from funding the deep state to get involved in BC sport fishing politics. All part of his liberal master plan o_O. I'm from Vancouver, those are just avatars, just like "peahead" doesnt really have a pea for a head and "fishbrain" has a human brain.

lol .... you are correct, my head looks more like a watermelon :eek:

It's more about our credibility and how it is presented I think that is actually quite critical. I don't like having to censor facts to avoid offending people either - political correctness unfortunately is just necessary at times to avoid the turning off of ears. And once they stop listening its over .....similar situation is if you raised your voice or show any aggressiveness when presenting your point - you'd lose credibility and lose your audience. I felt the Reel West Coast video was just a bit too aggressive and 'loud'....a bit to forceful feeling to it. Not for me .....but as I imagined being your average public. I think a PR professional maybe could assist in that area, not sure. I will try to explain in this example: Saying "a pinniped control plan will be needed to be put in effect to help save wild Chinook " sounds much better than "Seals are the problem and must be culled immediately " If being careful how something is presented is being politically correct then fine , but if it helps get the message accepted I guess it doesn't matter.

agree peahead - while you and I may understand that message they portray, most do not. "problem seals' and "predator control" are extremely vague terms and need better explanation. No other groups can get on board here, but if they focus on 'selective culling', explain the problem - rogue seals/sealions (down south) running way up rivers and feasting on incoming spawners and outgoing smolt, not giving the salmon a chance at all. Mention success of Puntledge cull (annual returns spiked immediately and sustained well after they did theirs), and emphasize the extreme damage done by say 100-200 of them here in BC and how little impact a cull of that size would have in the whole population...THEN maybe we can get more people on side.

The message feels like 'kill em all' and that will not get any support at all where we need support.

On Global TV this morning. A group is calling for the total shutdown of all Chinook fishing to save the Whales.

Meeting at the Ministers office this morning.

This is due to the lack of Chinook spawning in the Fraser they claim.

Probably make the news tonight.

Last edited:
Maybe its time for SFI to call for a meeting at the ministers office and get on the Global news as well? ..... will Global report the real truth?

Yup, close all fishing National news.

On Global TV this morning. A group is calling for the total shutdown of all Chinook fishing to save the Whales.

Meeting at the Ministers office this morning.

This is due to the lack of Chinook spawning in the Fraser they claim.

Probably make the news tonight.

A group of 15 people? Next.

Back