The fires of Bella Coola

Sitkaspruce

I just got back from 16 days of fighting fire in Bella Coola.

This is a rather long report with some picts.

Went up to do some road decativation prescritions on July 27th and ended up staying until Monday, Aug 10th. On July 28th it was 37.5 c which broke the old recoed for temp in the valley, the next day it was 41.3, hottest in Canada, so I decided to stay, at least for the weekend....just in case.

On July 3oth we had a good lightening show move through and light a few small fires, which we actioned with an IA crew. On the night of the 31st we had two shows move through the valley, including one that scared the Sh$t out of me as 4 strikes hit the tarmac....flash...boom all in a second or so. Never been woke up like that before;) So I sat and watch the other three hit the tarmac, that was friggin cool!!!!!

The next day we had numerous targets throughout the valley and on the outside; South Bentick, King island and other spots. There was two IA crews, myself, a co worker, two heli's and a 5 pack contract crew to action all the fires.

The two that would end up being the big ones both started as small strikes and continued to be actioned by heli's. Too steep for crews to action.

The one that caused the 64 houses to be evacuated started on a cliff and just continued to burn, thanks to the hot weather and dry, hot westerlies.

Here it is the first afternoon/evening
P8020029.jpg

P8020030.jpg

P8020032.jpg

P8020033.jpg

All the photos are from the Mid-Coast Fire base by the airport in Hagensborg

That night, the fire came down the hill to within 50m of three homes, so myself and the 5 pack crew spent a long night keeping the fire at bay while trying to set up the sprinkler system for the houses. It was a long 26 hour shift.

The next morning, just above the houses.
P8030046.jpg

P8030047.jpg

This fire caused the evacuation of 64 homes along highway 20 and closed the highway down for long periods of time.

Over the next couple of days, we ended up getting 59 FF from Alberta, 2 type 1 BC unit crew's, a 20 person contract crew, a bunch of stat hires, three pieces of equipment and 9 helis, including this big bugger, in the valley to help battle the fires.
P8070064.jpg

When I left, the Nuxalks Mt fire was 350+ ha and the Salloompt Mt fire was 140+ ha, the rains had come and we had the upper hand on both fires.

Up the valley near Tweedsmuir Lodge we had three fires burning, including this one tha we were not actioning and going to just let burn, as it is across the river and well away from any structures.
P8080073.jpg

I have to say that the people of the Bella Coola Valley are an amazing group, they cooked our meals, supplied tons of food on the line, were very helpful and patient and are a resilient bunch. The local Fire Departments were simply amazing with keeping us in water the first night and for day after.

Special Kudos goes out the Snootlie Creek Hatchery Staff and DFO as they, along with the FD's, kept up the water supply for the FF 24 hours a day for three days straight and paid their workers for their effort. They even flew in a couple CG cooks to cook meals for them, got me three 4" high volume pumps from other hatcheries and delivered them to me, all free of cost.

All in all it was another fun few weeks were I could put aside my regular job and do something I love doing. The thing that sucks is it looks like I missed some pretty incredable fishing at home......well there is always next year.

Cheers

SS

Fishing08018-1.jpg

Great report.It takes special people like you to save the province.

Thanks for the report and the pics and also for your personal effort.

I fought fires when I was younger so have some idea what you've been through.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
freshwaterlagoonnuquicw3.jpg

I WONDERED why we hadnt heard from you Ken. Now-- Time to get serious and go chase some fish. You deserve it

Intruder2-2.jpg

20ft Alumaweld Intruder

Your on a ministry crew?! thats sweet im hoping to get on next summer, im working on a contracter crew this summer i just got back from sechelt after a 10day shift - it was great though becasue 1/2 the sechelt guys went to the pemberton fires so my 5-pack was signed on with the remaingin ministry guys on for IA.
Fun job:D

quote:Originally posted by nedarb2

Your on a ministry crew?! thats sweet im hoping to get on next summer, im working on a contracter crew this summer i just got back from sechelt after a 10day shift - it was great though becasue 1/2 the sechelt guys went to the pemberton fires so my 5-pack was signed on with the remaingin ministry guys on for IA.
Fun job:D

Nope, I have real job for most of the year:D. I work for MOFR full time, and help out when the resourses are spread a little thin. Used to be a strike force team leader, but now am working towards a Logistics Chief. Easier on my knees and actually have more OT, just do not get much time on the front lines.

Are you looking at IA or unit crew work?? Both have their plusses and minuses.

Cheers

SS

Fishing08018-1.jpg

IA would be my choice, but im not sure i'll make the weight restrictions haha, i heard there pretty tight.
Just being on a ministry crew though for a summer would be an amazing experience

Back