The Choice

Here's a story from Ukee, some rich guy from Vancouver(alberta) was at the fueldock same time as me i put in 300 liters (did 3 trips) he put in 1500 liters said that might get him to Victoria He had a 30 foot grady brand new burned 80 gallons/per hour at cruising!Three 250's on the back! Must be nice to be rich!!LOL

Daddystoy. I just got a Monaro and really like it. Good ride in rough water. I get 32 L/hr at 2800 rpm and around 21 to 24 knots depending on currents. It is comfortable and dry, not much water over the bow unless you are really trying. A hand laid hull with lots of glass, very strong. Yes, it is heavy and expensive but I think worth it.

Dan

Aluminium is nice alright. I had a good one,easy to tow and easy on gas. However, after 3 knee replacements and one hip replacement for osteoarthritis, I have switched to fibreglass for a more comfortable
ride.

Coriba, a friend of mine also has a Monaro (he is on this site) and its a beautiful boat and beautiful ride. Top notch boat IMHO

Coriba, thanks for the reply. I was surprised to read your post. I posted that question back in February of '06. I'm going to e-mail you. I'm looking at a 24' Monaro and would like to talk to you more about your Monaro

I have a 2004 21ft Monaro with a 200hp Yamaha main and a 9.9 Yamaha high thrust for fishing. It rides very well even in the rough water. It was expensive but I am VERY happy with it.

Howdy,

It's kind of funny when you think about it; if you ask a guy who just dropped $10/$20/$50K or more on his boat - how many of em' will say they don't like it?

Look kind of dumb if they did...

Me... I like the old heavy (hand-layed/not gun-sprayed) glass boats with a good 'V' and stern-drive power.

I'd taken wood big enough to dent a battle-ship in my old Fiberform and with her bow trimmed up she'd run a 3 to 4 ft/chop at 40.
She always got me home. I like the sterndrives because you've basically got a car engine IN your boat that you can actually do some work on yourself and the engine house makes a good seat. I won't be stupid enough to argue the power to weight ratio of today's outboards though.

My current glass boat ( 5/8ths of an inch thick/3-stage hand-layed hull) is a 1980 Zeta-19 Cuddy with a brand new Mercruiser V6 - 220/hp MPI and new Alpha drive unit. Once I get the hull repainted she'll trim-out at about 50 mph and knock over a three foot chop like it wasn't there.

Mike Hutcheson started Zeta Boats in Vancouver in 1972 after he worked for Sangster Boats (he in fact married Sangster's daughter). Sangster sold the company in 72' and it's generally accepted that the quality of post-72' Sangsters was inferior. Sangster went T-U a few years after.

Zeta built about 140 of the 19-footers and over 400 of the 24' in various configurations. They built lesser numbers of 26 and 28-footers.

I was fortunate enough to track down Mike Hutcheson in Vancouver a few months back and learned a lot about the 19 I had just purchased.

He said they used so-much glass back then (when it was cheap) that the stringers and transome could literally 'rot-out' completely and she'd still be strong as a rock.

Just my 2-bits worth.

Cheers,
Terry

Back