The Adventure Begins

Now to figure out the system and find a mounting spot
$ 550 at CT with navionics maybe good I don’t know but will find out !
Cabellas sure isn’t what I remember wow
Even stuff in Vernon is cheaper and in stock

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    244.5 KB · Views: 39
Don’t really like putting screws in to hold the transducer on but oh well think I’ll have to use longer machine screws and nuts with washers so it can be sealed for life but it’s on for now and tomorrow is test it time then to go find some fish
I’m excited to be on the water
tight lines everyone
Yee haa

Fog rolled in thick by the time we got out of ukee so turned around at the entrance and went surfing on the other hobby building surf boards
Just being here is a blast
Try again tomorrow
Had a chat with FO at the launch and he said a heavy jig was fine for a descending device just have it tied on the hook proper and ready to use

Water was beautiful today spent a couple hours out front of the light house jigged up some rock fish a tiger and canary yum
Decided to head to swale for a cruise on the inside on the way there hit something in the water only minor scuffing on the bottom of the leg and no prop damage so got lucky I guess but it was an unsettled feeling being on the other side and “bang” all stop to have a look see ! I carry a spare prop in case but all is well
Tomorrow if nice will try the down rigger on the outside by the light house to wya
We still had a blast and will tomorrow too

Water was beautiful this morning made it out and was setting up the rigger dropped the ball twenty feet was going to stack a second line and the rigger cable broke !
Oh well go old school and weight the line and send it out didn’t even get it down with a herring aid and fish on wow that was fun ten feet from the boat less than a couple deep was a coho spit the hook at the boat after playing it for a bit
Getting closer and closer !

Got all fixed up had some lunch and went to launch the ukee days boat race was happening fun was had by all ! After an hour and a half launched and went out front and put in a couple hours and was rewarded with first salmon caught in the Ocean ! The boat has been christened properly finally ! Been along time coming !
Thanks to all my SWFFs for all the info

After a great drive home and after it all sinks in I am feeling like a new person my kids had a blast as did I, even if fishing wasn’t the focus it’s all good my boys paid attention learnt lessons and want to do it again
We ran out to swale for a sight seeing trip and fished out front of ukee 2 coho one landed and slept in wandered around enjoying the town and the people
I on the other hand am considering coming back for a longer more focused fishing trip on my own and just staying on the water and seeing if I can take it for a week or two
Possibly the adventure of a life time or just the start of my happy place for life
Barkley Blast ! AaaaOoooGaaaa
Now I want to raise my windshield 1 1/2 feet restyle my Bimini for standing room put in pedestal seats and cut out the back half of stock seat base to make more fishing/dancing deck, swivel mounts on each side for down riggers instead of the box I built over ski tower base electric instead of manual take out the back seat and put a big cooler with table on top leaving the side’s open infront of downriggers and make a hard top cover for the bow rider front that is removable like a T top
Ahh what a winter project!
At first I didn’t want to change nothing and keep it a run about ski boat now I want to build a fish slaying machine and change where I live !!!
The ocean is wonderful and a bit scary too but I think it’s in my blood or something
I thought I’d put a hook into the fish !
But I think the Ocean has hooked me
I wonder if Captain Nemo felt this way

Attachments

• 266FFB4D-5B19-4BF9-94C1-FF94B5671C0F.jpeg
    266FFB4D-5B19-4BF9-94C1-FF94B5671C0F.jpeg
    199 KB · Views: 89
  • F88ADF66-DD9B-4A52-A2D8-2E3C82025CD4.jpeg
    F88ADF66-DD9B-4A52-A2D8-2E3C82025CD4.jpeg
    107.7 KB · Views: 79
  • 7A5CF3EC-9F44-4162-A4D1-0BA70F719D39.jpeg
    7A5CF3EC-9F44-4162-A4D1-0BA70F719D39.jpeg
    203.7 KB · Views: 90
  • B63D65EC-BD78-47D5-B15E-324ABBD853FF.jpeg
    B63D65EC-BD78-47D5-B15E-324ABBD853FF.jpeg
    317.5 KB · Views: 90
Last edited:
After a great drive home and after it all sinks in I am feeling like a new person my kids had a blast as did I, even if fishing wasn’t the focus it’s all good my boys paid attention learnt lessons and want to do it again
We ran out to swale for a sight seeing trip and fished out front of ukee 2 coho one landed and slept in wandered around enjoying the town and the people
I on the other hand am considering coming back for a longer more focused fishing trip on my own and just staying on the water and seeing if I can take it for a week or two
Possibly the adventure of a life time or just the start of my happy place for life
Barkley Blast ! AaaaOoooGaaaa
Now I want to raise my windshield 1 1/2 feet restyle my Bimini for standing room put in pedestal seats and cut out the back half of stock seat base to make more fishing/dancing deck, swivel mounts on each side for down riggers instead of the box I built over ski tower base electric instead of manual take out the back seat and put a big cooler with table on top leaving the side’s open infront of downriggers and make a hard top cover for the bow rider front that is removable like a T top
Ahh what a winter project!
At first I didn’t want to change nothing and keep it a run about ski boat now I want to build a fish slaying machine and change where I live !!!
The ocean is wonderful and a bit scary too but I think it’s in my blood or something
I thought I’d put a hook into the fish !
But I think the Ocean has hooked me
I wonder if Captain Nemo felt this way
I'm glad you had a good trip, the ocean is a beautiful place. Your boat is fine for the odd weekend on the west coast, but if you are serious about spending more time out there don't bother making all those mods to your boat, they wont make it more seaworthy. If you are serious, invest in more of a fishing platform. Yours is a "it does a bit of everything but not everything well platform". It doesn't have to be bigger or more expensive per se but you might want to consider something with a higher transom and bow to help you ride the bigger west coast water

I'm glad you had a good trip, the ocean is a beautiful place. Your boat is fine for the odd weekend on the west coast, but if you are serious about spending more time out there don't bother making all those mods to your boat, they wont make it more seaworthy. If you are serious, invest in more of a fishing platform. Yours is a "it does a bit of everything but not everything well platform". It doesn't have to be bigger or more expensive per se but you might want to consider something with a higher transom and bow to help you ride the bigger west coast water
I agree 100 %, and I'll just add.... that open bow is dangerous If you get heavy waves in rough water

It would be a fun winter project and yes I agree the open bow would be a problem that’s why I would close it up if I do change it with a removable hard top for the bow section as stated in the previous post
The benefits of keeping it and changing it are 1 I burn forty to fifty litres of fuel per day for a full day of cruising
2 my pickup got 17 miles to the gallon while towing it over the coke and I can do 140 klms down the hyway if I want it trailers well 3 my boat is paid for and owes me nothing and I do my own fibreglass work so would only cost for materials
I’ve been looking in the boats for sale section some real beauties for sale
But I do like how much my boat “owns” me right now and buying a bigger boat would mean I’m gonna spend six months on the water fishing and six month hauling logs in the winter so it might happen but but my little boat is a boat that allows me to investigate the possibilities and maximize its usefulness and I’m getting tired of logging all year and want to slow down
And it’s fun to day dream and scheme
And while I agree a bigger more ocean worthy vessel is better and ultimately is the goal
I also believe in the KISS principle
My old pickup will do all the jobs I need it to do and I get to keep the 100 g in my pocket for now same applies to a boat
For now my little boat is going to do all that I need it to do and a redo is gonna be simple easy and fun but add so much to a platform that already is a known quantity for me and would get my fish itch scratched without betting the farm
I day dream of doing the charter thing for the summer and logging in the winter
Believe me when I say hauling logs has its own challenges and I feel so much more at ease on the water and the hours are better
And I like the fisher people better

Last edited:
I would agree a better boat would be great however if you use caution and common sense and pick your days where seas are calm and weather forecasts are favourable it works. Do not take chances we all have stories where we did and regretted it.

I would agree a better boat would be great however if you use caution and common sense and pick your days where seas are calm and weather forecasts are favourable it works. Do not take chances we all have stories where we did and regretted it.
A man is fishing one day and gets a snag after a few pulls up comes a brass lamp he wipes the mud and **** off of it and poof out pops a genie “ I grant you three wishes”
The man ponders and then asks for unlimited fishing luck the genie says “granted” the man thinks a moment and says I would like a bigger boat the genie says “granted” poof he is in a bigger boat
The fisher man is so happy all his dreams have come true that he says to the genie I give you my last wish because I have everything I could want, poof the man was in the lamp
Moral of the story careful who you give your wishes to !

Back