The 1st Annual Juan De Fuca Halibut Derby. MARCH 12 & 13 2011

I believe there were 35 fish weighed in and Dez claimed 1st ,2nd and 5th,3rd went to Walter Stancin 56.2 2nd was 62.4 and 1st was 167, final numbers are not quit in but its around 9500.00 aproxx 7000 going to the chaters creek program and 2000 to the sfi,there were a few cheifs involved to get this running successfully ,Eldin Smith from the Crab shack was instrumental in making this happen as well Steve Arnett from the sooke mirror ,Al Kennedy,Tory Howe ,Rollie Rose all played very important rolls and should be given full recognition for there great effort to make this happen ,i believe there's something in the works for a coho derby (fundraiser) for late Sept.

Back pat guys..... looked like a cool event and will be in there next year..... Even got to help Eldon lift FP's measly fish into the tote.... Tha was a pig.
I hope this coho derby runs the same way and I'll be in that one for sure! If its a go

I like corn nuts..... TS can you pass some over here.

Last edited by a moderator:
It looks like the Southern Vancouver Anglers Coalition will get a check for $2,000.00 from the derby as will the Charters facility. The silent auction raised $3,683.00 for the Charters facility as well. There were also 2 or 3 individual or business donations to the Charters facility. After the bills are paid it looks like close to $7,000 for charters and $2,000 for the coalition. I would say a really decent result. Chris Bos is happy to be getting his share and I know The Juan De Fuca Salmon Restoration Society will make good use of the charters portion. There is already talk of a season wind up party in the fall in the charters building. Eldon wants the "Pink Sugar" girls to get an invite too.

I believe there were 35 fish weighed in and Dez claimed 1st ,2nd and 5th,3rd went to Walter Stancin 56.2 2nd was 62.4 and 1st was 167, final numbers are not quit in but its around 9500.00 aproxx 7000 going to the chaters creek program and 2000 to the sfi,there were a few cheifs involved to get this running successfully ,Eldin Smith from the Crab shack was instrumental in making this happen as well Steve Arnett from the sooke mirror ,Al Kennedy,Tory Howe ,Rollie Rose all played very important rolls and should be given full recognition for there great effort to make this happen ,i believe there's something in the works for a coho derby (fundraiser) for late Sept.

As I read this, $9,500 in revenue was raised and $7,000 of that was donated to Charters Creek and $2,000 was donated to SFI, that's almost the total amount collected! Considering that $8,000 was advertised as first , 2nd and 3rd prizes, I'm impressed, but wondering where the prize money came from? Am I missing something or are there some people who need a HUGE pat on the back?

aprrox $9,500 in entry fees and another $3,863 from the silent auction and approx another $1,000 from private donations. So total before disbursements is $14,500. Des got $5,000, then cost for a couple porta's on site, there is a $500 shortfall from unsold shirts and about another $500 in misc costs. The rest given away to groups already mentioned.

Thanks Steve and Rollie for clarifying.

My trip Sunday was blown out and my guests wanted to know their ticket money went to a good cause, confirmed!

Still a bit fuzzy on the drama developing, I am sure a few more bowls of Cornnuts between periods will fill the gaps.

Unreeeeel

You must be the only one who thought Des's bank account was a good cause! LOL

aprrox $9,500 in entry fees and another $3,863 from the silent auction and approx another $1,000 from private donations. So total before disbursements is $14,500. Des got $5,000, then cost for a couple porta's on site, there is a $500 shortfall from unsold shirts and about another $500 in misc costs. The rest given away to groups already mentioned.

Did 2nd and 3rd not get awarded a cash prize?

Back