Tangled up in the turns.....

Never had my rigger lines cross each other and get tangled. That's gotta be pretty hard to do imo are you running diff size weights ? I run 18lb rounds for years and used to run 15lb rounds before. I could see this happening if you were running diff size weights. Yes I can see how it happens running pancakes lol.

Interesting take on things SrSQ! I stand corrected regarding the blowback. Certainly seems plausible that a pancake might infact have less!

As for the physics stuff, I would argue that a pancake weight - while sharing similar shape to an airfoil - isnt generating any lift, which I believe is at least partially what makes the drag coefficient so low. With that said I can definitely see a pancake slicing through the water easier than a round at trolling speed, and almost certainly much easier at high speeds. I guess the best thing to do instead of just theorizing on here like a know-it-all would be to actually get out on the water and test it myself.

So if you guys see a maniac trolling around at 30mph this weekend - with a pancake on 1 side, and a round on the other - dont panic, its for science!

Last edited:
I'd genuinely be curious as to where the cannonballs actually run under the boat compared to where we 'think' they are. Add to that, the drag and sway of the lines.

Do the balls swing as much as we postulate? More/less?

I tilt my transducer back one notch and can see my balls unless I'm in a big sideways current.
Nice to see the fish looking at the gear :)

I tilt my transducer back one notch and can see my balls unless I'm in a big sideways current.
Nice to see the fish looking at the gear :)

Should be careful of tilting your transducer towards your balls, it could cause cancer... :D

I understand the idea (I can see mine as well) but I'm speaking of more in a 3 dimensional perspective relative to the boat, not just the swing back but also laterally.

Back