2009 Fraser Sockeye & State of the Ocean

quote:Originally posted by SpringFever552
Very glad to hear you - Got Milk! Good answer! :)
You’re welcome… Glad you had a good fishing trip!

My last post "our" fish farms? Must be missing that one? [?]

There probably is not one “sole reason” a fish farm could cause that kind of collapse in 2009? However, how about this? If you take the combination of ALL negative impacts of fish farms... and put them ALL together in the same year… that VERY WELL COULD wipe-out the Fraser River 2009 sockeye run.
quote: I can offer part of an answer to question # 2 for you Charlie, there's divers going to these farms on a regular schedule for, checking their nets,checking for morts, checking anchors,and such...not uncommon...
No, I don’t think so! Might want to dig a little deeper and reconsider your thinking there? I believe and can assume (as no information or records are provided), what that diver was doing? Read those Annual Reports and draw your own conclusions, again - BASED ON THE REFUSAL TO RELEASE RECORDS, it is hard to consider anything otherwise!

Presentation of Third Quarter – 2007
Canada: Production affected by algae bloom in Q3
• Hit more severe than normal years
http://hugin.info/209/R/1168610/229751.pdf

Third Quarter 2007 Report: “The negative effects of algae blooms and low oxygen levels in the third quarter were somewhat more severe in 2007 than in previous years. Marine Harvest Canada has recently received two new licenses in a less exposed area. These sites will be put into operations for the 2008 generation, reducing risks due to algae blooms and low oxygen levels in the fall season.”
http://hugin.info/209/R/1168610/229750.pdf

Please note, this would be for and during the months of JULY, AUGUST, and SEPTEMBER. When did that diver drown? Then have to consider, when did these Algal Blooms get to the critical point – and start killing those Atlantic salmon? Then consider what months the 2007 Fraser River Sockeye out migrated?

So, while I am not a marine biologist, I can read! Most know when an “Algal Bloom” forms the dissolved oxygen content decreases and many fish and other aquatic insects cannot survive. That’s ONE very good reason to consider why they received two new licenses in a less exposed area to MOVE those fish and fish farms! I really don’t think they did any moving due to trying to help or save any wild smolts! That is just NOT how they have “historically” done business – anywhere in the world!

Bear with me on this… and let me give some definitions for those who don’t understand the terms used in my final comment? I had to look some up to understand myself!

• Shoaling: “In biology, any group of fish that stay together for social reasons are said to be shoaling.” In my opinion that would very much include Atlantic salmon confined in “netpens”

• An “Ambush predatorsor sit-and-wait predators are carnivorous animals that capture prey by stealth or cunning,”

• “The dinoflagellates” are a large group of flagellate protists. “Most are marine plankton, but they are common in fresh water habitats as well. Their populations are distributed depending on temperature, salinity, or depth. About half of all dinoflagellates are photosynthetic, and these make up the largest group of eukaryotic algae aside from the diatoms. Being primary producers makes them an important part of the aquatic food chain. Some species, called zooxanthellae, are endosymbionts of marine animals and protozoa…” “Other dinoflagellates are colorless predators on other protozoa, and a few forms are parasitic (see for example Oodinium, Pfiesteria).” “It is sometimes equated with the order Dinoflagellata. It is also sometimes equated with the class Dinophyceae.” “An algal bloom of dinoflagellates can result in a visible coloration of the water colloquially known as red tide.” “Pfiesteria piscicida is a dinoflagellate species of the genus Pfiesteria that some researchers claim is responsible for many harmful algal blooms in the 1980s and 1990s on the coast of North Carolina and Maryland. The species name piscicida means "fish-killer."”

Now, after you read the following ask yourself again –Why won’t, or why doesn’t Canada (DFO), fish farm owners/operators, or anyone else associated with that industry really not release any records and/or information concerning the operation of “Atlantic FISH FARMS”?

“Mass die offs (Red tide and Harmful algal bloom)”
See also: Fish kill, Red tide, and Harmful algal bloom

Some diseases result in mass die offs. One of the more bizarre and recently discovered diseases produces huge fish kills in shallow marine waters. It is caused by the ambush predator dinoflagellate Pfiesteria piscicida. When large numbers of fish, like shoaling forage fish, are in confined situations such as shallow bays, the excretions from the fish encourage this dinoflagellate, which is not normally toxic, to produce free-swimming zoospores. If the fish remain in the area, continuing to provide nourishment, then the zoospores start secreting a neurotoxin. This toxin results in the fish developing bleeding lesions, and their skin flakes off in the water. The dinoflagellates then eat the blood and flakes of tissue while the affected fish die. Fish kills by this dinoflagellate are common, and they may also have been responsible for kills in the past which were thought to have had other causes. Kills like these can be viewed as natural mechanisms for regulating the population of exceptionally abundant fish. The rate at which the kills occur increases as organically polluted land runoff increases.

Yep… they have no problems there, either! Now, combine MASS DIE OFF CONDITIONS, DISEASE, SEA LICE in 2007 = NO FRASER RIVER SOCKEYE in 2009! WOW... IT WASN'T A "Double Whammy" is was a "TRIPLE WHAMMY"

Put em all on shore. Stop the slaughter of the wild. Given what is at stake, all BC salmon farms should be put on shore or closed immediately.

SF552, I do indeed use my vote and one of the criteria I use is the candidate position on Fish issues. I also regularly "communicate" to sitting members my concerns and links to current inf as I come across it. :)

Too much water, too little time

I don't own a farm I just believe that all these anti salmon farmers are nothing more than lobby groups for the Alaskan industry. I dont think I will be eating crow any time soon although I think both Little Hawk and Charlie are coughing up enough black feathers to fill a mattress.

Don't be too smug about it. You don't know half the story. The truth will always come out in the wash and you might find your butt is sucking crocodile water. What goes round comes round.
Charlie can digest a fair bit of crap and spew out logical answers. I have not seen you do that yet.:D:D

IMG_1445.jpg

quote:Originally posted by Gunsmith

Don't be too smug about it. You don't know half the story. The truth will always come out in the wash and you might find your butt is sucking crocodile water. What goes round comes round.
Charlie can digest a fair bit of crap and spew out logical answers. I have not seen you do that yet.:D:D

IMG_1445.jpg

I guess that sea of sockeye that Alexandra said was extinct due to farming is not enough evidence for you. How about all those pinks Alexandra said would be extinct due to farming? I believe they are having record runs again this year (2 in a row). You were right about one thing, what comes around. Someone has been misinforming the public and now has to explain the largest salmon run in 100 years while predicting doom and gloom. Hopefully that is a logical enough answer for you. :D:D

quote: I don't own a farm I just believe that all these anti salmon farmers are nothing more than lobby groups for the Alaskan industry.

quote:I guess that sea of sockeye that Alexandra said was extinct due to farming is not enough evidence for you. How about all those pinks Alexandra said would be extinct due to farming? I believe they are having record runs again this year (2 in a row). You were right about one thing, what comes around. Someone has been misinforming the public and now has to explain the largest salmon run in 100 years while predicting doom and gloom. Hopefully that is a logical enough answer for you.

Barbender? Some of your thinking isn’t quite rational reasoning – those statements just flat-out aren’t rational! I would highly suggest before believing all the crap you do – start sorting out fact and fiction, propaganda and non-propaganda! You my friend are believing one hell of a lot fictional propaganda! I am assuming you have some sort on intelligence? But, that the thought process is SO inaccurate and those statements make entirely no sense whatsoever for someone to make, who states they have nothing to do with BC aquaculture? Or, do you… are your really saying you don’t own a fish farm, but do work or have a relation with the aquaculture industry?

First you need to read the post concerning “MASS DIE OFFS”. Then as stated you aren’t/don’t work for any fish farms, I guess you should do a little research to find Marine Harvest moved two fish farms 2007 - I believe you will find that move was due to the number of “Atlantic” fish that died in 2007, during the out migration of the Fraser River sockeye smolts! Then go back and re-read about “MASS DIE OFFS”, after that read about the results of “MASS DIE OFFS”! Now, just in case you missed the last two sentences, “Kills like these can be viewed as natural mechanisms for regulating the population of exceptionally abundant fish. The rate at which the kills occur increases as organically polluted land runoff increases.” If you don’t understand yet… when a “MASS DIE OFF” occurs – IT KILLS ALL FISH, INCLUDING FRASER RIVER SOCKEYE SMOLTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WAKEUP CALL! While YOUR fish farm industry keeps trying to bring the Alaska issue into this and we are still speaking of the Fraser River Sockeye, it is really two completely different MARKETING issues and I personally don’t care who sells more salmon, and it has absolutely NOTHING to do with the problems of the BC fish farms slowly killing off the BC “wild” Pacific salmon, does it? I think the correct term being used, by your great BC fish farm industry is let’s create a – diversion! You do know what a diversion is, right? Alaska really doesn’t care about the Fraser sockeye, as very few are going to spent all their time, gas, and efforts to go out running around trying to find or chasing some Fraser Sockeye down, which they really would have to find as it is long way from the 46th parallel to SE of Kodiak Island – when all they really have to do is set back and wait for their own to enter Bristol Bay! When someone starts talking Alaska commercial Sockeye fishery and “Fraser River sockeye” – I consider that a sign of a very gullible and misinformed, IDIOT!

Now, me living in Washington, why would I care anything about the “Alaskan industry”? For that matter, why would I even care if the BC Atlantic fish farm industry sells more or less salmon than Alaska – farmed or not, same retail market or not? I don’t have anything to do with either nor do I buy salmon from either, when I run out of salmon, I go catch one! If anything, as a consumer I would be all for that, as it would drive prices down! Which, it has in the past – that whole issue is between those two industries, and has nothing to do with the decline of British Columbia wild salmon.

I do know one thing though, think about this!
When Charlie looks “his” Grandson in the eye – he can say, “I am doing everything possible to help save your future “Pacific Salmon” that you love to fish and I am trying very hard to keep them from going extinct so you will be able to take your kids fishing for Pacific salmon!

Barbender you need to think about since you are now approximately 40 years old, live on VI, enjoy salmon fishing with your son, twenty years from now as you are driving “your” Grandson to Costco to buy some of that fresh Atlantic salmon imported from Peru and look “your” Grandson in the eye, what are you going to tell him? And, how are you going explain you did your best to keep those Alaskan Pacific salmon industries from ruining YOUR BC Atlantic fish farm industry, but just couldn't do it, so now we have to buy our salmon from Costco... and how you did “nothing” to protect the BC Pacific salmon from going extinct! And then try to explain how it was all those Alaskan’s fault! Good Luck!

Yep, I’ll stay in my shoes... and if I have to eat little crow once in awhile to save the Pacific wild salmon would you mind putting some salt and pepper on it?

“We Have Met the Enemy and They Are Us”

I know this thread is supposed to be about 2009 sockeye but, Barbender, you opened the door by saying this;
quote:How about all those pinks Alexandra said would be extinct due to farming? I believe they are having record runs again this year (2 in a row).

The latest DFO bulletin about those Area 12 Mainland Inlet pinks is here; http://www-ops2.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/xnet/content/salmon/sc stad/Area12/Area12Pink2010-3.pdf.

If you can't access that directly you will have to go here http://www-ops2.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/x...&StopCookieTest=1#Area_12_Mainland_Inlet_Pink and register as a first time user.

Yes, Barbender, they are having record runs for the second year in a row, but this year so far they are record low runs. Of course, they are not yet extinct.

And while we're on the subject of Barbender's posts, remember this thread he started; http://www.sportfishingbc.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=15872? Well, here's the latest from the coast north of 54 40; http://alaskajournal.com/stories/090310/fis_acs.shtml. So much for being a big bust this year. I could ask for some crow eating here but I won't because that adds nothing to a constructive dialogue.

Keep up the fight guys, wild salmon and your grand children will thank you.

Been under the weather the last few days so spent a lot of time reading through the public submissions to the Cohen Commission that are up on their website. I came across this gem last evening;
http://www.cohencommission.ca/en/submissions/ViewASubmission.php?sub=127.

This researcher clearly states that while there is no direct evidence, his conclusions are that the 2009 Fraser sockeye run failure likely occurred in 2007 between the North end of Queen Charlotte Strait and Hecate Strait.

The entire submission is quite readable, well referenced and documented and a real eye opener. Got some cool animations too.

Good post cuttlefish! Just to highlight some things:

quote: (2) Although in my view it is not yet possible to confidently attribute the salmon decline to one single cause, the concurrent and increasing influences of climate change, global warming, harvest pressures, and aquaculture are almost certain to have profound impacts on British Columbia’s salmon populations and the province at-large.

Unless addressed, both private sector (fisheries, aquaculture) and public sector costs will increase substantially as public policy decisions are made that are both ineffective and possibly harmful—and we may completely lose the salmon resources that are supposedly an integral part of the fabric of this province. Lest this final statement sound too extreme, then we need only look at the devastation wrought in just 20 years by the declining marine survival of salmon and the loss of most of the commercial salmon fishery in British Columbia, and along with it close to 20,000 jobs. As we are no farther ahead now than 20 years ago in understanding what the problem is and thus how to deal with it, it seems entirely plausible that in another 20 years marine survival will be only 1/10th the current level—0.1%. Should this prediction seem outlandish, one need only look at Sakinaw Lake sockeye, which now has an average marine survival rate of only 0.2% (see below)—1/5th the level precipitating the 2009
Fraser River calamity and the reason for the Cohen Commission.

7. The relevance of the hypothesized link between fish farming and major mortality (such as occurred for the 2009 adult Fraser River runs) depends upon the degree that the mortality event can be isolated as occurring close to the time the Fraser River sockeye smolts pass through the region containing salmon aquaculture operations; if the mortality was due to disease transfer from fish farms then a reasonable time line for the development of major mortality is that it occurred within 19-32 days after passing the aquaculture sites.

8. We emphasize that neither our own telemetry data nor the synthesis we have outlined in this submission prove a causative link between aquaculture and wild salmon survival because direct evidence is lacking. Claims (i) that the 2009 Fraser River run failure was caused by disease transmission from salmon farms to the Fraser sockeye smolts as they migrated through the area and (ii) that oceanographic changes in Queen Charlotte Sound affected smolt survival are both consistent with the available data as we understand them. However, we believe that our acoustic telemetry data set in the context of other observational data provide an important scientific advance in our understanding, as it places the timing and likely location of the high mortality in the region just after passing the fish farms28. Because Queen Charlotte Sound is also traversed by simultaneously migrating sockeye stocks from the south (Columbia River (Redfish Lake & Okanogan Lake) plus west coast of Vancouver Island stocks) that did not experience the same elevated mortality rates and had excellent survival in 2009, this may tip the balance more in favour of the disease transfer hypothesis - all of the sockeye populations experiencing high adult returns in 2009 are believed to migrate north via the west coast of Vancouver Island in 2007, and there is currently no evidence that they use Discovery Passage as a migratory pathway. Tempering this last point, however, is the basic fact that in the absence of directed telemetry studies on these populations there is no hard evidence to back up the widespread belief that Columbia River sockeye stocks migrate north around Vancouver Island and stay on the outer shelf rather than migrating through the Strait of Georgia.

Our contribution has been to narrow down the likely location for the mortality, but not demonstrate the cause. However, to scientifically prove or reject theories concerning the role of fish farms requires a commitment to experimentally test causation, in this case that exposure to fish farms increases mortality relative to animals not so exposed, and to a level of impact sufficiently large to justify regulatory intervention. From this perspective, the potential impact of aquaculture is similar to many other situations where one economic activity (such as pollution) results in some degree of harm to another. Rigorous experimental designs of this nature require controls and are possible to do, but DFO has failed to take the scientific lead and has instead relied on much more limited observational evidence. (The same comment applies to some—but not all—of the work done by the critics of fish farms).
http://www.cohencommission.ca/en/submissions/ViewASubmission.php?sub=127

Well, can I add to the above? You might want to take the following into consideration, while reading and thinking about the above information? It was brought to my attention that I posted they following, “I do have proof of this information! Proof they culled those smolts. Proof they have and are fighting a long time Kudoa thrysites parasit problem, along with proof there is no cure and no vaccine…” And I did NOT mention the long time problem with “IHN epizootic in farmed Atlantic salmon in British Columbia” and was asked if I had read the following study:
Investigation of the 2001-2003 IHN epizootic in
farmed Atlantic salmon
in British Columbia

Prepared by
Sonja Saksida BSc DVM MSc
Sea to Sky Veterinary Service
Campbell River, British Columbia
http://www.agf.gov.bc.ca/ahc/fish_health/IHNV_report_2003.pdf

Well, I am familiar with IHN, but hadn’t read that study - I have read it NOW – and suggest everyone read it! With or without DFO, Canada, or the Norwegian Atlantic fish farms involved releasing any information, “Houston we have a problem!” At this point, I guess I can only assume the “culling” of those $7 million (NOK) of Atlantic salmon by Marine Harvest in 2007, was probably due to a “SEVERE” outbreak of the disease Infectious hematopoietic necrosis virus (IHNV). Which, was right on and during the 2009 Fraser River Sockeye smolts outmigration, in 2007! The house is smoldering – it might be time to throw some gasoline on it and GET THOSE DISEASE RECORDS RELEASED!!!

To point out a few things here, also! First note this study paid for by Canada and BCSFA… So I certainly hope no one will try telling me, DFO, BCSFA, or any of the NORWEIGIAN fish farms were not aware or don’t have this knowledge!
quote:
I would like to thank the British Columbia Ministry of Agriculture, Fisheries and Food (BCMAFF) and the British Columbia Salmon Farmers Association (BCSFA) for funding the study. I would also like to thank all the companies (Atlantic salmon producers and suppliers) who participated in the study. They were all extremely cooperative and very willing to spend a considerable amount of time helping me collect and validate the information presented in this document.

Infectious hematopoietic necrosis virus (IHNV) is a serious enzootic pathogen that infects several species of salmonids in western North America and is the causative agent for the disease, infectious hematopoietic necrosis (IHN).

We do not know what factors led to the 1992 and 2001 IHN epizootics in farmed Atlantic salmon. One hypothesis is that a certain group of returning wild salmon had higher IHNV prevalences and titres than usual and, consequently, were shedding more virus particles. Another hypothesis is that the first group of Atlantic salmon to become infected were stressed and therefore more susceptible to the infection. A third hypothesis is that even small variations in genetic sequences of the virus affect the virulence of the virus in Atlantic salmon and there is one or more stock of wild salmon, which are carriers for this more virulent variants. As a result of the cyclical nature of the sockeye life history, this variant would only appear every four to five years with the return of this stock.

A large study conducted by Meyers et al (2003), examined IHNV data collected by the Alaskan sockeye culture program between 1981 and 2000. They found that the prevalence of IHNV in the adult sockeye salmon fluctuates from year to year. Generally, the prevalence of infected salmon and the percentage of those infected with high IHNV titres peak and decline together. Interestingly, in 1992, the same year the first IHNV epizootic started in farmed Atlantic salmon in BC, the IHNV prevalence and the percentage of spawning Alaskan sockeye salmon with high viral titres were both some of the highest recorded levels–56.2% and 65.7% respectively. Unfortunately there has been no comparable work done on adult sockeye salmon returning to British Columbia rivers.

Horizontal transmission of the IHN virus occurs readily in both saltwater and freshwater (Traxler et al. 1998).

Different salmonid species appear to be sensitive to different genetic isotypes. For example sockeye salmon, Oncorhynchus nerka, are susceptible to the northwest coast IHNV isolates while chinook salmon, Oncorhynchus tshawytscha, are more susceptible to the Californian isolates. Rainbow trout, Oncorhynchus mykiss, are susceptible to the Idaho isolate.

Most of the losses associated with IHN, in sockeye salmon, occur in the freshwater alevin and swim-up stages. Disease in the seawater sockeye stages has not been as commonly observed, however, the northwest isolates are quite homogeneous indicating that continual mixing of the isolates has occurred over the generations. The only location where this appears possible would be in the ocean (Williams and Amend 1976, Traxler and Rankin 1989, Emmenegger et al. 2000). One such place could be the “Alaskan gyre”, the common feeding grounds for all sockeye populations north of Oregon (Emmenegger et al. 2000, Emmenegger and Kurath 2002).

Lab transmission studies have found that Atlantic salmon are very susceptible to IHNV infections (Traxler et al 1993). In 1992, IHN was diagnosed in a population of farmed Atlantic salmon, Salmo salar, in British Columbia (BC). Over the next four years, the disease spread to 13 separate farm sites within a 20 km radius of the index case (St-Hilaire 2000, St-Hilaire et al.2001). In the summer of 2001, nine years after the first epizootic, IHN was again diagnosed in a population of farmed Atlantic salmon. As in the
1992 epizootic, mortality as a result of the disease has been significant.

The British Columbia Ministry of Agriculture, Fisheries and Farms (BCMAFF) and the British Columbia Salmon Farmers Association (BCSFA) commissioned the following report with the objective to: describe the 2001-2003 epizootic, outline possible risk factors and to provide suggestions on how to minimize risks (including research needs).

All companies with affected sites were interviewed. These companies were asked questions regarding their husbandry and management practices as well as specific fish history questions for each affected site. Similar questions, although not as detailed, were also asked about sites that remained IHN negative during the epizootic.

Companies that did not have any IHN infected sites were not interviewed. The risk factors discussed in the report were based on questionnaire findings as well as the current knowledge of IHN in BC.

Between the August 2001 and June 2003, 36 Atlantic salmon farms developed IHN. Infections were identified in five separate areas; with the largest number of cases occurring in areas 1 (13 cases) and 5 (10 cases) (figure 1). All 14 Atlantic salmon farms diagnosed with IHN during the 1992 –1996 epizootic were located in area 1.

The first case, the index case, was diagnosed in late August 2001. The index case in the 1992 outbreak occurred in the same area and during the same time of year (summer) as this recent outbreak, perhaps indicating that the source of the viral exposure may be similar for both outbreaks.

Kurath compared the isolates of the 2001-2003 epizootic (sequence A and B) with those of the 1992-1996 epizootic and found that they are different. This data suggests that the two isolates from the 2001-2003 outbreaks represent two independent new introductions of IHNV into farmed Atlantic salmon with both local sources being enzootic to BC: one source originating on the east coast and one on the west coast of Vancouver Island (Kurath unpublished data).

Detailed mortality data was examined from 20 infected sites. The shortest time from apparent exposure to the virus to clinical disease appears to be seven days. This was observed in a group of smolts shortly after being entered into seawater. Figure 2 shows a representative mortality curve associated with an on-farm IHN outbreak. The curve shows a steep increase in mortality shortly after diagnosis of IHN on the site, with mortality rates spiking six to eight weeks into the epizootic. The epizootic on the farm appears to last 20 to 22 weeks. A study examining the 1992 -1996 IHN epizootic found a second mortality spike 30 weeks after the first (St-Hilaire 2000), this was not seen in any of the cases in this recent epizootic.

The shape of the mortality curve indicates most likely a common point source for the infection (i.e. high number of viral particles) (Baldock 2000). The rapid increase in the mortality as seen by the steepness of the curve illustrates the highly contagious nature of IHNV in an Atlantic salmon population.

Harvesting of confirmed positive populations were conducted according to the Department of Fisheries and Oceans Canada (DFO) protocols with the exception of two cases where harvesting was completed (case 17, 18) before laboratory confirmation of IHNV was received.

Even though IHN is not a reportable disease, all companies kept the provincial and federal government agencies informed of positive results.

A/ Wild sockeye salmon
There is some evidence that wild salmon could have been the source of the infection for the initial few cases. For example, the first three sites to be diagnosed with IHN were all located in the same channel. Infection was detected in late August 2002, at which time there were a large number of returning sockeye, chinook and coho salmon in the channel. IHN is a common disease of sockeye salmon known to cause high mortality in early life stages (Williams and Amend 1976, Traxler and Rankin 1989). Ribonuclease protection assay (RPA) work found that the IHN virus isolates from the farmed salmon are similar to those found in local sockeye salmon (Emmenegger et al. 2000, Emmenegger and Kurath 2002, Kurath unpublished data).

Normally, sockeye return from the common feeding grounds off Alaska to freshwater as four or five year olds (Emmenegger et al. 2000, Groot 1996). The sockeye populations that would potentially pass through Area 1 to spawn would include many of the Fraser River runs, as well as many minor runs that enter the local rivers and lakes, such as the Philips Arm, Bute Inlet and Heyden River runs. Figure 9 shows the sizes of the Fraser River runs from 1990 to 2001 (from the Pacific Salmon Commission). In 1992 and 2001, the total production for the Fraser River runs was 6.4 and 7.2 million respectively. This is considered a moderately low return. Low runs can be cyclical, or may be related to some external environmental factors such as water temperature, lack of food or even disease. There is very little data available on the non-Fraser stocks

We do not know what factors led to the 1992 and 2001 IHN epizootics in farmed Atlantic salmon. One hypothesis is that a certain group of returning wild salmon had higher IHNV prevalences and titres than usual and, consequently, were shedding more virus particles. Another hypothesis is that the first group of Atlantic salmon to become infected were stressed and therefore more susceptible to the infection. A third hypothesis is that even small variations in genetic sequences of the virus affect the virulence of the virus in Atlantic salmon and there is one or more stock of wild salmon, which are carriers for this more virulent variants. As a result of the cyclical nature of the sockeye life history, this variant would only appear every four to five years with the return of this stock.

A large study conducted by Meyers et al (2003), examined IHNV data collected by the Alaskan sockeye culture program between 1981 and 2000. They found that the prevalence of IHNV in the adult sockeye salmon fluctuates from year to year. Generally, the prevalence of infected salmon and the percentage of those infected with high IHNV titres peak and decline together. Interestingly, in 1992, the same year the first IHNV epizootic started in farmed Atlantic salmon in BC, the IHNV prevalence and the percentage of spawning Alaskan sockeye salmon with high viral titres were both some of the highest recorded levels–56.2% and 65.7% respectively. Unfortunately there has been no comparable work done on adult sockeye salmon returning to British Columbia rivers.

Research has shown that Atlantic salmon can become infected when placed in close proximity to an infected salmon (Traxler et al 1993). However, the minimal dose and exposure length required for transmission is not known.

How can this risk be minimized?
At this time, knowledge is insufficient to be able to establish protocols that would, in effect, eliminate this risk. Therefore, research in this area is critical. There should be a concentrated effort to support disease research in wild fish.

The presence of an IHN positive population, undergoing an epizootic, could provide a continuous reservoir of virus not only for the infected site itself but also to the surrounding area (i.e. downstream). All of this is merely a hypothesis, however, and further research is required.

There is an added level of concern with the protocol, when it was noted by some during the interview, that the addition of salt water artificially increased the detectable level of chlorine. Finally, there was some difficulty ensuring complete mixing of the chlorine and wastewater. The question arises as to how effective the protocol is in destroying the virus in large volumes of water, especially when complete mixing is difficult and organic levels are high. It is possible that there may have been some unintentional releases of IHNV infected water.

As stated earlier, most plants that process farmed salmon in BC have set up treatment facilities to successfully disinfect harvest by-products. However it has to be remembered that IHN is also a common disease in wild salmonids in BC such as sockeye and the majority of the processing plants that handle wild fish still do not treat their process water prior to discharge. These facilities could pose a substantial risk to the farmed fish population. Yea, there is NO PROBLEM there!

Many of the management changes would only occur after laboratory confirmation of IHNV, since the associated costs would be significant. Consequently, delays in diagnosis increase the prospect of not tightening the biosecurity barriers quickly enough.

When researchers fitted 200 young salmon with acoustic tags in the spring of 2007, they had no idea those fish would later help pinpoint the “crime scene” for one of the biggest environmental disasters ever to strike the West Coast.

But as it turned out, the ground-breaking study, which tracked a small school of fish out to sea and two years later picked up a pair of survivors on the inbound journey, has provided a vital clue into what happened to nearly 10 million Fraser River sockeye salmon that vanished in 2009.

It’s a world first,” David Welch, president and CEO of Kintama Research Corporation, said of the study, which he described briefly on Monday in giving expert testimony on the opening day of the Cohen Commission of Inquiry.

“Our contribution has been to narrow down the likely location for the mortality, but not demonstrate the cause,” he said.

Headed by British Columbia Supreme Court Justice Bruce Cohen, the federal inquiry is charged with finding out why only about one million sockeye returned to the Fraser in 2009, when more than 10 million had been expected.

Dr. Welch said in an interview that the 200 young fish were tagged as part of a study into Cultus Lake sockeye, a small, endangered sub-population found on the lower Fraser River.

The Cultus fish went to sea at the same time and followed the same ocean migration route as millions of other young sockeye that left the Fraser that spring – fish that would later disappear en masse.

Dr. Welch, whose company has pioneered research using an array of acoustic sensors set along the continental shelf, said the tagged fish were tracked out of the Fraser and north, through Georgia Strait.

It has long been speculated the most likely location for the mass mortality of Fraser stocks was at the river’s mouth, because the transformation from fresh to salt water is often traumatic for salmon.

Others have suggested fish farms, clustered near the north end of Vancouver Island, may be to blame.

But the tagged fish moved rapidly past the north end of Vancouver Island before their signals were lost. The fish never reached the next monitoring post, in Alaska.

“Between the north end of Vancouver Island and Alaska, the fish seemed to stop migrating,” Dr. Welch said in an interview.

He said his data, and information the Department of Fisheries and Oceans collected in netting surveys, shows the Fraser sockeye run met its end in Hecate Strait, shortly after passing Broughton Archipelago, at the north end of Vancouver Island.

“This raises the issue of whether the poor marine survival was caused by disease transfer from the fish farms in this region or if other factors (e.g., poor ocean conditions) were responsible, or if there was perhaps a combination of impacts,” he said in a written submission.

The telemetry study was unique because it not only tracked salmon going out, but picked up the survivors on their return by putting the transmitter batteries to sleep for two years, then restarting them when the fish were expected back in B.C. waters.

He said researchers were delighted when two inbound signals were detected in July, 2009. The fish, returning from a migration circuit that covered thousands of kilometers of ocean, arrived back at the southern end of Vancouver Island on the same day.

Dr. Welch said none of the other 200 fish survived, reflecting the collapse of the broader Fraser run.

Mary Ellen Walling, executive director of the BC Salmon Farmers Association, said last year’s sockeye collapse was followed this year by the biggest return in nearly a century, which clearly indicates fish farms are not hurting wild stocks.

“It’s a very complicated issue . . . [and] we need to look at all the factors,” said Ms. Walling. “[But] our data from our farms doesn’t indicate disease issues or lice issues.”

Another excellent post, Charlie.

I more piece of logic to throw-in here:

Except for the downstream outmigration of smolts, and the reciprocal upstream inmigration of returning, spawning adults; salmon from watersheds in BC have similar pressures and stress on the population numbers - with the exception of 2 other areas: near-coastal and mid-Pacific feeding and rearing environments.

OK - that being said - why does the stock numbers in the Fraser ALONE have such dramatic fluctuations?

If a volcano was in fact responsible for the dramatic increase in returning Fraser River sockeye this year - why did it only affect the Fraser?

Other smolts from other smolts/sub-adults swim and eat in the same mid-Pacific areas as the Fraser smolts during the same time. Why did the Skeena then (as an example) have such a mediocre year for returning sockeye numbers?

The answer for the variation must therefore lie in the regional near-coastal environments.

We do know there was substantial numbers of sockeye smolts that exited the Fraser River that would have made-up the 2009 broodstock returns (so, again - the problem's not in the river).

There were even tracked by David Welch et al. using sonic tags. We know that the smolts died (presumably in large numbers) due to some cause between the sonic listening lines between the north end of Vancouver Island before and the next monitoring post, in Alaska.

If they contacted excessive sea lice levels, or IHN as they passed by the salmon farms in the Broughton - that would fit the pattern perfectly. However, we do not have that kind of information from the farms to prove what just did happen.

However we do know that in 2006 (at least, but may include more cohort years than this), adult (Fraser) salmon were tested and found affected by a IHN-like virus as they were returning towards the Fraser mouth from Johnstone Strait, at a distance of 200 km PLUS whatever distance they travelled while the disease incubated enough to infect the fish.

This extra distance would likely be based on the order of s few days (maybe 2-10 days) TIMES their swimming speed, which is something like 10-20 km per day. So add another 20-200 km on top of the 200 km, say approx 250 km – 300 km.

Guess what the distance is from the mouth of the Fraser to where Broughton Strait joins Johnstone Strait? 300 km</u>. Then there's all those farms down all the way to the mouth of the Fraser along this route, as well.

We also know that Sonya Saksida in her "IHNV 2001/02 EPIZOOTIC RISK FACTORS AND RESEARCH NEEDS" reports that in "August 2001 to May 2002 - 19 [farm] sites confirmed positive for IHNV" - in the Johnstone Strait area - the SAME area where the returning adults reported likely got the IHN-like virus from.

5118732174_c060587a3f.jpg

Scarily, she also reports that: "wild sockeye runs (Phillips, Fraser, Babine) were congregated in areas where IHN was present in cultured fish.</u>".

However, Dianne Urban in her report to: "BCAFC on Disease Concerns from Fish Farms to Wild Salmon" said: "precautions in siting salmon farms should ensure that salmon farms are not in the path of migrating salmon stocks".

I'll let you all chew on this for a bit...

Great posts, verry informative reading!!!
Thanks for making the effort .

Back