Swimgrid bracket failure

ab1752

Crew Member
Hi all,

As you all know its been rough out this July and I've fished through some nasty weather. My swimgrid was partially destroyed by the marina a few years ago so the crappy original build was rebuilt with a bunch of glass, more than the 4 oz that was in there before anyway.

I have noticed most other Hourstons like ours have a deeper grid and flimsy looking brackets. I've watched ours and they seemed OK with some light corrosion on the aluminum....until last Sunday. The kid and I jumped in for a swim at Buccaneer Bay and I swam past the grid with a big wtf, the thing is twisted and surprise, 2 out of 4 of the brackets are snapped. Fortunately the Strait was calm for the first time this summer haha so we ripped back to North Van and were in the driveway by 8 pm, grid removed by 10.

I had KSM Stainless in Langley copy the original brackets and they had them back to me same day as they were super awesome about this failing in the middle of the holidays. They are great and do fantastic work. The new ones are in 316 stainless and I had them extended by 2" as well.

Heads up to anyone else with a swimgrid on brackets, cheers.

20200727_153019_resized.jpg 20200729_211620_resized.jpg

No doubt, the nice part about this holiday interlude is all the transom bolts came out clean and there is zero evidence of any rot. Its 2" thick and the new brackets are thicker than the old so I had to move to a longer bolt.

Back