Sweet go pro footage and story!

Wooly

Hey Folks,

Hope you enjoy this thread as much as I do lol!

Ill start with saying I got the boat out for its first Hardcore Fishing trp. It was awesome. We got over 20 halli. A 140(measured just under 65 inch) and a 60+ were the biggest. We got a few ling and a few yellow eye. And to top it off 8 Chinooks! 23 was the biggest the rest were high teens. I believe we would have had 10 times more Chinooks if it wasn’t for the two pods of orcas that seemed to show up on both high slacks.

I got some great footage of the whole trip but the best by far was my Go Pro footage.

I have always considered myself a pretty lucky guy when it comes to fishing and gambling! And I guess this is just proof!

So I went to my usual honey whole and anchored for a few hours. After a couple hours and a few hali later I wanted to send my new go pro down to the bottom to see what things looked like. I wasn’t really expecting much but I have always wanted to try it out. Away I went. Bolting the go pro to the cannon ball and Wiring it to the ball I sent it in the water. I got to 60 feet and the current was ripping pretty hard and it looked like I was trolling from the angle of the line. I got a little worried about the line snapping but figured it was no different then trolling and I have not had any issues yet. So I kept going. 140 feet was the depth and I was almost there. I hit 100 feet and Snap! Right at the pulley, down goes my $500 go pro and a CCB 15lb cannon ball. Gone gonzo…..”holly ****” I said to my two buddies that were looking at me in disbelief. Did that just happen I was thinking?

I turned around and walked into the pilot house where I mixed myself a vodka and felt like crying! 600 bucks of gear, lost just like that because I wanted to try something so ridiculous. I never fish more then 60 feet while trolling but then again the line was bran new. Then I looked closer at the pulleys and realized they had nicks all over. O well I kept telling myself, its all replaceable and it could be worse.

2 hours passed by and a couple smaller Hallis later My buddy sais I got a big one here. I looked at his rod and it was buckled over nicely. Right on I said get the camera out this ones going back………my buddys jokingly said “what camera” anyway I had my regular video camera still so I went and dug that out. Once I got back on deck I asked my buddy if he moved it yet? He said no, I gian a few feet then he screams back down to the bottom…..my buddy doesn’t fish so I asked if I could take the rod. He gave it to me. Instantly I knew he was hooked on bottom. The rollers would come up and line would peel out then they would go down and you would gain on it. Over and over again.

I grabbed a pair of gloves and grabbed my line, popped the line of the bottom and my buddy started reeling up, He still had a lot of weight on there so it was hard to reel. Up came his spreader bar with loads of downrigger line tangled in it. I grabbed the line and pulled my go pro up still attached to the cannon ball all with my other buddy filming.

I felt like I had just won the lottery. It was unreal. Not only did I get all the footage from the trip before this incident but I also got some of the most amazing footage I have seen from the bottom!

I’m slow with computers so bare with me while I get the 2 hours of footage the camera recorded on the bottom and upload them to YouTube or on this site. It ended up taking 4 20 min videos while on the bottom. Each vid is like 15 gigs and I need to cut it down and throw all the highlights together. Not too sure how to do it all so it will be a day or two before I get the footage up here.

Some of the highlights of the footage are…….on the way down around 70 feet two Chinooks come screaming in to check out the herring that I attached with 15 lb test to get some action around the camera. I just tied the herring on through the gills. I didn’t use a hook and I also frayed the line so if a fish took the herring it would just break off. The herring was basically floating with a ****** role but yet these two Chinooks looked like they were going to smash it. It was unreal. Anyway at 100 feet you can hear and see everything just free fall to 140 feet where the cannon ball and go pro come to rest. Then the herring lands right in view of the camera. Rat fish and ling cod are the first guys to go after the herring. Then a 20 lb halli or so grabs the herring and chews it for a bit before moving the cannon ball and breaking the line off the ball. After a while thousands upon thousands of needle fish swim by……at one point you can see a nice size Chinook swimming above the needle fish too full to even care that there is bait everywhere below him. You see spreader bars bouncing by every so often and other kinds of fish swimming by. the footage is unreal and I’m looking forward to getting it to you guys asap.

I’m grateful that my buddy that doesn’t fish very often came with me because without him leaving his rig on the bottom more often then not I don’t know if the spreader bar would have tangled like it did.

O yeah and check your pulleys on your riggers if your going to throw go pros down there lol. Or put a safety line on!

Cheers,

Wooly

Couple pics!

hali measured 63 or 64 inches.....just a rough measurement! I said 140 as a guess. not sure what the conversion is!

Attachments

• 140 hali.jpg
    140 hali.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 1,286
  • chinooks may 30.jpg
    chinooks may 30.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 1,286
cool story! Witnessed a similar thing fishing with Osama a few years ago...anchored for hali, had a huge hit that broke the rod holder and took a brand new rod/reel to the bottom. Pulling up the gear 2 hrs later, the lost rod had become tangled around one of the other spreader bars...and the fish was still there! Ended up breaking off whatever it was before getting any idea of what it was, but got the rod back.

Its better to be lucky then good! I bet there was a lot of high fives when you got that camera back, looking forward to the footage!

WICKED STORY Stoked for all of the footage. Not to side track, but a friend recently told me pulling a halibut in the boat by their tail will pop their vertabrates and kills them...true or not? As I was thinking of bringing over halibut into boat this way this year then heard that...but if not, then that's a good way to get pictures :) I'm not sure, only a question, not accusatory or anything.

Back