Downrigger Steel Cable Breaks at Surface

Marley

Hi Guys

Was fishing yesterday and my downrigger cable snapped at about 4 ft below the surface. Didn’t hit anything it just let go lost about 80 ft of cable and the cannon ball. I looked at the cable there is no corrosion at the break so I am trying to figure out what happened. Cable is only a year old and I rinse with fresh water after every use. Should I just replace the cable? Should I go with braid?

Thanks

Go with braid. Cable should be replaced every year, IMO, or else this will happen. When you loose a ball, with braid, a simple knot and you’re fishing again. In rough conditions, this is a big plus. You’re not looking for crimps and crimping pliers, etc…With braid, like our rods, every so many trips you can re-tie. I’ve had the same braid for 3-4 seasons, so there’s value there too.

Last edited:
This exact thing happened to me a couple of weeks ago. The line looked like it had hit something (a few of the steel wires were bent right back on themselves. I have come to the conclusion we hit the wire with the prop while turning in a swell (and didn't notice for a few minutes until we had finished the turn). $100 mistake...

I might not be a Top Gun but I like wire. I'm either afraid to change or too old to change. Either way... I'm not changing. I have very few issues with wire and think it gives me good vibes. Keep an eye out for frays and use tuna cord from stopper to weight and connect your clips to that. Have to assume you had a fray that you did not notice. Wire is tough stuff. I replace every few years if needed.
I had more issues with braid getting nicked on a boat I ran for a few years.

I might not be a Top Gun but I like wire. I'm either afraid to change or too old to change. Either way... I'm not changing. I have very few issues with wire and think it gives me good vibes. Keep an eye out for frays and use tuna cord from stopper to weight and connect your clips to that. Have to assume you had a fray that you did not notice. Wire is tough stuff. I replace every few years if needed.
I had more issues with braid getting nicked on a boat I ran for a few years.
Same. Plus….black box and stuff.

Yep. Seems to work for me. Those 9 chinooks and 14 coho we got today concur
YES i agree one look at my website page photos tell the tale....

I have used it at the lodge its ok the slipping of the downrigger clip bugs me the most and then used the quick stop set up. extra stuff extra money .ill stick to wire the way i use it ....

Back