Surveyor recommendations

Samnjoe

I am looking for a marine surveyor in the lower mainland area.
My insurance requires a survey be done on my 30' boat before they will renew my policy.
I have a price of $800 from one company but I have no idea if that is reasonable.
Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

I paid 650 for my 28', so it seems to be in line. , but I've only every had 1 survey done so I'm sure other people will have more input.

My insurance requires a survey be done on my 30' boat before they will renew my policy.
I have a price of $800 from one company but I have no idea if that is reasonable.

Thanks in advance
I used Active Marine Services in 2020 for my 30' total bill then was $540. it was for the hull and equipment, not the diesels which would be separate, but Insurance didn't need engine assessment - that's more for purchasing

I used Woods Marine Consultants. John lives in Qualicum Beach but comes to Vancouver regularly.
Really nice guy and a 30 year veteran. Very good to chat with.
I was charged $651 including tax for a survey this spring on my 2005 Commander 30 on the hard at Lions Gate Marina.
My vessel assement went up $50k from 2017. Who knew boats were a good investment!

Last edited:
I have used the marine butler in nanaimo. $550. He is actually coming again on Friday. I need a new survey for my January insurance renewal.
i had one done by him a couple of years ago for the sailboat and was VERY disappointed. He made various "recommendations" but he couldnt/wouldnt back them up with references to actual regulations or specifications - lots of vague "because i said so" type of things. And this was on a boat that has had a survey every 5 years and (me owning it for 20yrs, charter company before that) and none had made any of the same issues. I definately got the feeling he was making it up as he went and will go elsewhere next time.

Today I posted a page from a survey on the “Boats on used Victoria” etc. thread in the buy and sell forum. Maybe that’s who you got your quote from already, do not know because you didn’t say who it was.

Thanks in advance
2nd on do not use Marine Butler , very bad. Personal experience: separated / delaminated stringer in plain view with a flashlight and he totally missed it, his deficiency list did however include “no life jackets “ and “no fire extinguisher “ …the boat was in a driveway!. I could go on but I wouldn’t hire them to inspect a 12’ aluminum.

Thanks guys
The boat is actually in Blaine so the $800 is US (over $1000 CDN)
Id rather get a Canadian surveyor that would drive down and do it.
We will see.

Today I posted a page from a survey on the “Boats on used Victoria” etc. thread in the buy and sell forum. Maybe that’s who you got your quote from already, do not know because you didn’t say who it was.
Paul Dupre is the best in the business in the lower mainland (the guy on the survey cover page you posted). Also very difficult to get an appointment with - very long lead times.

Paul Dupre is the best in the business in the lower mainland (the guy on the survey cover page you posted). Also very difficult to get an appointment with - very long lead times.
He was in my Bee Cee Beemer motorcycle club for many years, did lots of rides and rallies with Paul.

He was in my Bee Cee Beemer motorcycle club for many years, did lots of rides and rallies with Paul.
Yep, I met Paul through the Beemer's. He is a nice guy, of course when I met him I didn't know what a Marine Surveyor was and he regaled me with stories of his side line of valuing cars and motorcycles for insurance purposes (he especially enjoyed his work on home made choppers- not)

Back to the BC Beemer's I never rode with a more frugal (nice word for cheap) group of riders. My first ride with them was to Winthrop, it was also my first time crossing a border on a bike

We were at the border crossing by Abbottsford going into the states. It was a bit of an uphill slog on the Canadian side to get to US Customs. Everyone turns off their MC and starts pushing their bikes along the road towards the US Border. It was a hot day and I was pushing a new 2001 1150GS.

I figured no motors must be a rule at borders for bikes . After we cleared customs you would start your bike and ride up to a general store.

I asked one of the guys while we were waiting at the store why we couldn't ride our bikes up to the border crossing and had to push them.

He said to me , "we do that to save gas." WTF

Last edited:
most guys I know do that because an air-cooled or oil-cooled motorcycle doesn't do well in a long border line up without some airflow over the cylinder heads. Diversion over.

Another thumbs up for him - he did a couple for me - definitely knew his business and very professional.

Back