Stuck Tilt Tube Repair

pescador

Pulled the boat out last weekend and found the Yamaha 8HP HT not turning. The main engine is fine. I'm using the Teleflex kicker tie bar system to connect the two. I called Telexflex and they said it sounds like the 8HP tilt bar is seized which is not uncommon after sitting all winter. Anyone know how to pull it apart, clean and lube?

May we assume you've tried unhooking the Teleflex and tried manually swinging the Yamaha?
What I call the tilt bar is the horizontal connection between the mounting bracket and the motor for raising and lowering the motor, the connection for turning the motor I call the pivot tube. On mine there is a grease nipple at the bottom of the tube. (there are also grease nipples on the tilt tube).
Never had the problem but I'd unhook the teleflex, pump grease in, and manually swing the motor until, hopefully, it swings freely.

I was hoping to not have to pull off the teleflex cable, but, sounds like thats the logical starting point. Thanks...

Just make sure that the steering friction adjusting lever is not tightened down, before you start pulling things apart.

ALK, whats the steering friction lever look like? Where is it. I haven't looked that closely yet at it.

Can't you just disconnect the link arm from the steering cable? Then try to turn the kicker manually to see if it moves freely.

Unless you have something different then I am thinking it should just be a 9/16 nylon lock nut holding the steering cable to the link arm.

ALK, whats the steering friction lever look like? Where is it. I haven't looked that closely yet at it.

It is located between the handle and the tilt lock lever. It is flat piece of metal (about 1/8" thick) and the part where you grab it is covered with rubber and it swings from one side to the other. If it is fully locked it is hard to see. I hope this picture from the manual will help. It is item 14

Attachments

• Yamaha 8.jpg
    Yamaha 8.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 100
Back